Bumped.

I asked my TA about 4J rooms, and he said "By rule (and kind of by law), any HC cabins available, should be available for anyone to reserve, regardless of disability type". I don't know if he meant that they are available to those without a disability or that HC rooms are available for any disability, not just those in a wheelchair.

It means Carnival is not allowed to ask what your disability is by law.

I am HC and have had to cancel cruise due to illness. My 1st question to my dr was, "when can I reschedule my cruise?" His answer was "well, lets just wait and see".Seems like I had to wait forever. The wk I was suppose to be on my cruise was awful - kept thinking what we'd be doing at the time. When I finally got the okay I was on phone with Carnival within an hour looking for 1st cruise where they could find me a HC cabin. The HC person taking this cabin only two wks out could have been in a similar situation. I'm truly sorry if OP is not happy with new cabin, but it almost sounds to me like they got that elusive call from the" free upgrade fairy" that some people dream about!! I just hope he can get past it and I'm glad both he and the HC person will get to go on a cruise !!! Happy sailing to you both.

Im not mad, Im happy that someone who needs the room has it. It was a free upgrade, just a cheap upgrade. All i meant by my statement is that you should expect things so close to the sailong date. Maybe someone wants to go on the cruise and get a suite, or aft wrap balcony 2 weeks out. Maybe you can snag one, or maybe youll just have to book a different cabin.

Could there be a possibility that the person who needed that HC cabin 2 weeks out had something happen to them, such as breaking a leg or foot, that necessitated a HC cabin? Perhaps they were already booked in another cabin on the ship and then suddenly needed a HC cabin so they could still go on their cruise?

Could there be a possibility that the person who needed that HC cabin 2 weeks out had something happen to them, such as breaking a leg or foot, that necessitated a HC cabin? Perhaps they were already booked in another cabin on the ship and then suddenly needed a HC cabin so they could still go on their cruise?

That was my thought.

This thread is interesting to me because my parents have booked the 4J handicap cabin. The reason is because my dad can't stand for long periods of time so his preference is the over-sized shower with seat. He is 70 years old but you wouldn't know it to look at him. He just has a really bad back. He doesn't use a wheelchair. I am curious if it's in bad taste (for lack of a better term, sorry!!!) to take a wheelchair accessible cabin if you don't have a wheelchair? The doorways are extra wide in a handicap cabin, but there are other features (like the over-sized shower) that are useful, too.

Since there are a lot of posters here who are well-versed on handicap cabin "etiquette", I thought I'd post that question. I think my parents would definitely forfeit their cabin to a wheelchair passenger. But if Carnival isn't allowed to ask the specific disability, who decides which passenger needs the cabin more?

This thread is interesting to me because my parents have booked the 4J handicap cabin. The reason is because my dad can't stand for long periods of time so his preference is the over-sized shower with seat. He is 70 years old but you wouldn't know it to look at him. He just has a really bad back. He doesn't use a wheelchair. I am curious if it's in bad taste (for lack of a better term, sorry!!!) to take a wheelchair accessible cabin if you don't have a wheelchair? The doorways are extra wide in a handicap cabin, but there are other features (like the over-sized shower) that are useful, too.

Since there are a lot of posters here who are well-versed on handicap cabin "etiquette", I thought I'd post that question. I think my parents would definitely forfeit their cabin to a wheelchair passenger. But if Carnival isn't allowed to ask the specific disability, who decides which passenger needs the cabin more?

If he has said he needs the HC cabin I would doubt he would be bumped out of it. For future reference, and if a HC cabin is not available for a different cruise, you can get a shower stool that would fit in any shower.

Depends on which HC cabins... there are 3 levels. some are only for wheelchairs .. all the way to what they call modified.

My sister is on a cane or walker, and has seizures and has balance issues, and my PVP said because she is not in a wheelchair she could be bumped from a wheelchair cabin, without our permission (thats why I was so surprised that OP said they needed his permission).

We were debating paying extra to upgrade to a HC cabin or keep what we had booked, and thats why we were discussing it with my PVP and she did say we could be bumped, so we did not pay the upgrade price.

They do tell you, and it is 2 weeks weeks till sailing. Not to be a jerk but someone booking a cruise 2 weeks out and expecting a certain room is asking a lot, handicap or not.

They might not have been "expecting" that particular cabin to be given to them. Maybe after more thought the HC person realized he would be better off in a HC cabin, had a better cabin for a potential trade. And, for all we know, the OP might not have been the first one called. Maybe, just maybe, Carnival may have told the HC person it was too late to just bump someone out of a HC cabin, and the trade was the recourse.;)

Depends on which HC cabins... there are 3 levels. some are only for wheelchairs .. all the way to what they call modified.

My sister is on a cane or walker, and has seizures and has balance issues, and my PVP said because she is not in a wheelchair she could be bumped from a wheelchair cabin, without our permission (thats why I was so surprised that OP said they needed his permission).

We were debating paying extra to upgrade to a HC cabin or keep what we had booked, and thats why we were discussing it with my PVP and she did say we could be bumped, so we did not pay the upgrade price.

On RCCL ships, the interior HC cabin does not cost more than another interior cabin. While researching cruises, the RCCL rep would let us know whether or not any HC cabins were available. If not, she looked at other cruises for us. Fortunately, I didn't need an HC stateroom on my last cruise. I only book an HC cabin if I need my electric scooter.

On RCCL ships, the interior HC cabin does not cost more than another interior cabin. While researching cruises, the RCCL rep would let us know whether or not any HC cabins were available. If not, she looked at other cruises for us. Fortunately, I didn't need an HC stateroom on my last cruise. I only book an HC cabin if I need my electric scooter.

Even on RCL the different inside categories are different prices and on Carnival for instance, I might not want to pay more than the 4A price .. but the only HC cabin available is a 4B .. so it costs extra .. not the fact it is a HC, but because it is not available at the lowest inside price I could book.

RCL the cabins for HC are huge .. Ive seen them.

I don't know why they said they'd need a verbal (or otherwise) okay. Don't they tell you there's a possibility of being bumped if someone needs that cabin when you book?

Does one even need to give a reason when booking a cabin that is classified as HC? What if the first person has a valid reason for HC cabin, but wants to be private about it?

In asking for a verbal okay, is it not a case of Carnival checking if you did indeed have a valid reason for needing the HC cabin in the first place -before bumping your cabin to a non-HC? Probably better than having you arrive at the check-in counter with a truly HC cabin need, and they look like idiots when they bumped the HC to a non-HC, i.e. now they have moved the (private) truly HC person to a non-HC cabin, to accommodate another HC person???

Carnival requires documentation if you call and "have" to have a handicap cabin. I have never bothered with the documentation but I always try to book a handicap room. I have rheumatoid arthritis and it is better for me to not have to step up to go into the restroom during the night when my joints hurt so much. I know I can be bumped from that cabin and I am more than happy to give up that room for someone that needs it more than I do. My pvp always tells me that is the risk I take booking that cabin and I have never had to change. But if I was asked to give it up, no problem...... :)

If he has said he needs the HC cabin I would doubt he would be bumped out of it. For future reference, and if a HC cabin is not available for a different cruise, you can get a shower stool that would fit in any shower.
Shower stools are available, but they are only a seat, no back support. DH brings his own, which can be taken apart for travel. Silver

I can understand...if you are HC, then wait till last minute, book at last minute drop prices, and know exactly which fine cabin you will get.

No, it's not fair....the HC person can find another sailing just like I do if the cabin I want is booked.

I cannot have it both ways if I'm HC. Either treat me like everyone else or treat me special. Which is it?

I do agree with special rooms for HC people. however, 30 days or less till sail date, you should not get bumped. It's just not right.

Yes, I'm speaking from experience-with family members in wheel chair, and I was once temporarily disabled and told i would be for life. but fortunately I overcame my injury.

Im not mad, Im happy that someone who needs the room has it. It was a free upgrade, just a cheap upgrade. All i meant by my statement is that you should expect things so close to the sailong date. Maybe someone wants to go on the cruise and get a suite, or aft wrap balcony 2 weeks out. Maybe you can snag one, or maybe youll just have to book a different cabin.

Thank you for explaining. I hope your agreeing to giving up HC cabin brings you a ton of good karma on your cruise. Have a wonderful trip !!

I can understand...if you are HC, then wait till last minute, book at last minute drop prices, and know exactly which fine cabin you will get.

No, it's not fair....the HC person can find another sailing just like I do if the cabin I want is booked.

I cannot have it both ways if I'm HC. Either treat me like everyone else or treat me special. Which is it?

I do agree with special rooms for HC people. however, 30 days or less till sail date, you should not get bumped. It's just not right.

Yes, I'm speaking from experience-with family members in wheel chair, and I was once temporarily disabled and told i would be for life. but fortunately I overcame my injury.

Then how about not letting handicapped accessible cabins be booked by people who do not need that feature?

I consider it poor planning on Carnival that they have these cabins mixed in with the regular inventory when almost every other cruise line has taken steps to move them to separate categories.

When the Breeze sailings for next April were first released, I checked on booking a suite cabin - you know which one showed up as the picked cabin? The 1 (one!) HA cabin. Why in the world should that be the first one in the selection list (especially when Carnival does not mark the cabin with the wheelchair symbol except on their special HA maps)?

If you book a HA cabin online, it warns you that you are booked a modified room and should someone with a disability need it, you will be moved.

Looking at every sailing of the Breeze in January, February, and March of next year, I can not find one open accessible cabin for 3 people (and there are a few on board - the 4J's and a couple of the spa cabins and the suite). How far in advance do you think I should have to book to get a HA cabin for my mom????????

It's a shame that some non handicapped people book a HC cabin just because the layout gives more "space".

Well, if there are no people on board who actually NEED that cabin, why not allow someone to book it in order to make money?

As to the OP: You did the right thing in allowing someone who needed it to get it, despite the awful timing.

Well, if there are no people on board who actually NEED that cabin, why not allow someone to book it in order to make money?

As to the OP: You did the right thing in allowing someone who needed it to get it, despite the awful timing.

Not saying to leave the cabin empty! But, non handicapped people have openly said they book the room (in advance) for the extra space. There should be some ruling to keep those cabins freed up for a while for HC to book, then release them to the public at a certain date before sailing if they are not booked.

We once got assigned an inside cabin on the lido deck of the Triumph (booked as a guarantee). The cabin turned out to be a handicapped accessible cabin. When the cruiseline takes a standard size cabin and rebuilds it to be handicap-accessible, it does NOT improve things for able bodied cruisers! Because both the entry door and bathroom door need to be wider, you lose a LOT of storage. Then you make the bathroom bigger -- which makes the rest of the cabin smaller.

Really, unless you just love a big space to shower in, you are going to be much happier with a standard cabin than a HA one -- unless you really need the amenities of the HA cabin, like a lower clothes rod in the closet and a roll-in shower.

Yes, there are some cabins that were originally designed to be a bit bigger to allow for these amenities, and they might be enjoyable for able-bodied passengers, but lots of HA cabins are not fun. Personally I like to check and make sure that I am not booking an HA cabin, not because I might be booted out of it, but because I just don't want to stay there.

One's chances of holding on to an HA cabin granted via the Upgrade Fairy will become slim, fat and none due to.... scooters.

Since the Concordia incident cruise lines can no longer ignore scooters being parked in hallways. Cunard and P&O recently announced that passengers bringing scooters on board must book an HA room, mini-suite or higher. (This issue was discussed extensively on those boards.) The policy may very well extend to other lines as the use of mobility scooters on cruise ships proliferates.

Absolutely not. But expecting a certain cabin 2 weeks before cruising, you must relize the possiblilty of not getting the cabin you desire.

Why ???? because an able-bodied person booked a HC cabin soley for the location and/or the extra space ?? Give me a break...... HC folks are entitled to book last minute Pack & Save just like anyone else AND if they need a HC cabin and your in it, no matter when you booked, then you rightfully should be bumped.

I really wish that Carnival would get on the ball and hold all of the HC cabins back for Guarantee assignment unless it is booked for a HC person.

It's a shame that some non handicapped people book a HC cabin just because the layout gives more "space".

Its a shame that majority of 4js are handicap rooms. They offer a great price, a window, and easy access to outside. I booked it because it was cheap, and had a window, and always wanted to try one. I would take a 1a if the price was different, but on this cruise it was more. I certainly dont book 1A's for space.

The setup might be different an offer more room, but the sq ft is the same as every other cabin. Not like RCCL, where the HC rooms are all the size of suites.

Why ???? because an able-bodied person booked a HC cabin soley for the location and/or the extra space ?? Give me a break...... HC folks are entitled to book last minute Pack & Save just like anyone else AND if they need a HC cabin and your in it, no matter when you booked, then you rightfully should be bumped.

I really wish that Carnival would get on the ball and hold all of the HC cabins back for Guarantee assignment unless it is booked for a HC person.

Rich people are entitled to book the suites last minute, if there are no suites one would have to surfice with a balcony. Or not go.

Archived