Rotterdam- New Soe

Venture

My wife and I have just returned from another Rotterdam cruise- Ft. Lauderdale to Venice after her SOE upgrades. She is still the the 'lovely and beautiful flagship Rotterdam' on the inside, but, some exterior not so nice exterior changes.

Firstly, the wonderful HAL crew are as great as ever- they cannot be better. The Commander from Ft. Lauderdale to Lisbon was Captain Fred Everson and was replaced there by the retired Norwegian Captain Ture Lura, who we have sailed with in Zaandam- he does a remarkable job informing the passengers. Chief Officer Izaak klok, hotel Manager Willem Van de Poll, Maitre D' Hotel Citra and Cruise Director John Challenger.

Now the changes..... The Greenhouse Spa on Lido Deck[8] has now treatment Rooms, a thermal suite with a hydrotherapy pool and increased Fitness Center. This increase of size has resulted in using the wonderful Lido Deck [8] space forward. The addition was built out flush to the Bridge below. The Spa windows are large and vertical- no slope as the Crow's Nest above has. The only open deck on Lido Deck [8] is the area above the the wing of the Bridge on both sides. This area is accessible by climbing the stairs from Verandah Deck [6]. If you have a new HAL brochure of the new deck plans of Rotterdam { south America Oct 2005- Dec 2006} it shows the new extended spa with outside decks across the front of the ship-this is incorrect. This forward outside deck removal is a mistake. I believe Hal left some forward deck on Ryndam, and as I live in Victoria, yesterday I viewed the Statendam in drydock for her SOE and she has space on her Lido Deck.

Lido Pool Area- new furniture and decking- very nice.

Crow's Nest- has a new and much larger dance floor with a D.J. music control booth. My feelings are that I enjoyed the original as you now look down on the extended roof of the spa !!

Lido Restaurant totally replaced- just a great job done to this area and it seemed to work very well. It reminded us of the Oosterdam.

Wine Tasting Bar- next to Pinnacle Grill, very nice.

Explorations Cafe- on Deck [5] opposite Explorer's Lounge. This was a 'big hit' with the passengers. HAL have done a remarkable job with this area which has the library, puzzle corner, coffee bar, internet stations and N.Y. Times with other recent papers and magazines. A wonderful job done here by thr designers and builders.

Teen Area- an addition on Deck [9] aft. This has taken away,again, 70% of the open deck space of Deck[9] aft. They have a waterfall and lounge chairs,picnic tables and hammocks. To get to this area you must use a new set of stairs with a sign TEENS ONLY. Well out of 1280 passengers we had no teens- so we 'snuck up' to take a look!! Please don't flame me but this area is not needed on this ship or the Amsterdam- yes the Vista's and Statendam class probably.

As many of you realize, their is a difference from the Rotterdam to the Amsterdam. The Rotterdam's aft pool is on the Navigation Deck [7], the Amsterdam's pool is on Lido Deck [8]. When they add the Teen Area to Amsterdam that will do away with a large portion of Deck [9].

In closing, we visited in Mestre for a night and had a look at the new NOORDAM under construction- both funnels are on and painted with smoke coming out of the after one. The ship is yet to be painted but she looks well on her way to completion.

Thank you very much for the info! I'll be on the Rotterdam beginning May 29th. Too bad so much of the "open deck" has been taken away. I'm sure I'll still be able to find some space to relax though!:D

How did you enjoy the cruise?

Thanks for your report.

REALLY, REALLY Thank you for telling us John Challenger is CD. I've missed him and am happy to hear he is aboard Rotterdam!!!

Rotterdam is one of our favorites. We think her a very elegant Flagship.

classynfun.....The cruise was wonderful. Yes, some changes have happened at HAL, but changes have happened at other cruise lines as well. Rotterdam is a very elegant and special ship with great food and entertainment and the greatest crew that will help make your cruise enjoyable. Wish we could sail with you....smooth seas.

sail7seas....Yes, John was aboard and he is so very competent at his Cruise Directors position. It really adds to the cruise when the cruise staff is guided by one who 'knows the job'.

I know that some talk on the CC board in the past about a new class of new builds for HAL. A very senior deck officer in Rotterdam said that they are now looking at larger hulls!! Larger than the Vista's... I stated my disapproval!!

A very senior deck officer in Rotterdam said that they are now looking at larger hulls!! Larger than the Vista's... I stated my disapproval!!
I surely hope he is mistaken!

Glad you enjoyed your journey. I'd love to sail the Rotterdam again. And glad you got to see the new Noordam. I guess you're the first one on the board who has actually seen her.

Thanks Venture for this great report!

We'll be on the Rotterdam in less than 15 days now, on May 19th!! This will be our 2nd HAL cruise, the 1st was on the Zuiderdam last August. We are looking forward to this smaller ship, as we enjoy those more, and have only heard good things about HAL's smaller ships.

Especially now that she received the SOE!!

I'm also glad to hear you all say that we'll have a good Cruise Director, not that the last one wasn't (Dane something), but he was young and not very present.

So thanks for the good feedback!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived