Allure of the Seas May 20th sailing

we had both of our 4S iPhones charging and playing music on this cruise.

Our room speakers/charging station for our iPhones must have been broken. As good as our room steward was (and he was very, very good), he reported the unit broken, but no one ever tried to replace, or fix it. I tried it ever day....no luck.

On the other hand, we had ample plugs to charge the iPhones (used for workout music + earphones) and our iPad. Don't bother with WiFi on board. It's very expensive and slower than glacier movement. Same goes for onboard phone calls from home. Give family the phone number for the ship (I think it's available in your ticketing package) for emergencies. Otherwise, you're looking at a large cell phone bill using the ship's towers. Met more than one person who was shocked, dismayed, overwhelmed by their internet and cell phone bill on board. These were the same people we saw on the first day of the cruise chatting away or "facebooking" furiously to their friends on their cell phones. They were in "guest services" the last day raising all kinds of ruckus about their bills.

I have a little "Jambox" blue tooth speaker for my iPhone. Love that little speaker. I travel with it a lot. We used it every day.

Some of the entertainment venues we frequented on the ship......

P5230241.jpg

P5240272.jpg

DSC00060.jpg

P5230247.jpg

P5210223.jpg

P5240271.jpg

Note....we didn't eat at Boleros, the Brazilian Steakhouse. The GF and I do enjoy a good steak, but not a huge amount (as Boleros serves). Plus, it's difficult to hit every pay dining restaurant on the ship. You pick an choose your preferences.

The Rising Tide bar is unique.....it's relatively small. It gently rises or gently lowers (from Boardwalk to Central Park and back) about every 20-30 minutes. It's more or less something you do once, maybe twice and the novelty quickly wears off.

CORRECTION....it's the Samba Grill that is the Brazilian steak restaurant.....She would never forgive me....:p Boleros is a bar.

P5210169.jpg

We walked/jogged every a.m. on the ship's track.

P5210172.jpg

While I hope the Costa Concordia tragedy will never repeat itself, one of the things we probably noticed more as a result was on the track where the lifeboats were (~330 people/boat). Also, instructions on how to "man" them.

P5210177.jpg

P5210176.jpg

P5210173.jpg

I had always thought the lifeboat was filled with people and then lowered into the water. According to this, the boar is first lowered, and the passengers go down some sort of chute into the boats, which are in the water below. Just a little tidbit I hadn't known.

While the Spa, on any cruise ship, is another area that's waaayyyy overpriced, the GF and I usually indulge in something while on board. We took advantage of one of their alleged "specials"....relaxation massage for $109/ea + tip. It included back, scalp, foot massages, in addition to a facial. I skipped the facial and got a shave, instead. As it turned out, they give you a facial when you get a shave, anyway. A facial and foot massage was a first for me. Thouroughly enjoyed both.

Spa entrance pic....

P5210181.jpg

Great pictures :) - what kind of camera did you use?

hockey, thanks...I used 3 cameras actually, depending on where I was, and what I had with me. The pics that weren't so sharp were taken with my iPhone4s. The sharp ones, I either used a Panasonic Lumix DMC ZS6, or my favorite, a Sony

cyber-shot G DSC-HX9V. They're all "point and shoot" cameras. Frankly, I just set them on their "automatic mode" and shoot away. The camera does the rest.

These cameras have become so good, I don't feel the need for a digital SLR with separate lenses.

Even the iPhone 4s, with its limited lens does a credible job.

Since we are mentioning cameras, the first pic I posted about the Rising Tide Bar was taken with my iPhone. This one was taken with my Sony.....

P5210171-1.jpg

Again, everywhere you look you'll find some whimsical are....

P5200142.jpg

A shot of Oceanaria at the Aqua Theater.... a 2 second walk from our cabin. Obviously at night, using my Panasonic Lumix camera. There are two screens, one on the left of the stage, one on the right (this one's left). We were actually right behind the front of the railing when this was taken. There's a seating area just to the left of this where you can sit and watch if you want.....maybe 4-5 people can sit there. Mostly, it was empty. As such, we used it often. This is another place we'd come after we mixed our own drinks to watch the shows....both day and night.

P5210227.jpg

I have read that some thought they never felt crowded on board. We're not one of those. From the time we stepped on board, until the time we left the ship on the last day of the cruise, there wasn't a day that went by when we weren't "shoulder-to-shoulder" on some part of the ship, on more than one occasion. You learn fairly quickly when and where to minimize the crowding.

Someone who finally agrees with me. When we were on Allure's sister ship, we found a couple lounges and the promenade to be crowded at times.

Someone who finally agrees with me. When we were on Allure's sister ship, we found a couple lounges and the promenade to be crowded at times.

hazeleyez......the Promenade seemed to vary from "lots of people" to congested, to shoulder to shoulder. Same can be said for the Buffet. Granted, I wasn't in any of those venues early in the a.m., or late at night, when they might not have a soul in them. But, from about late morning, until 10:00 p.m. or so, those venues were crowded.

We went to the buffet once. That was enough for us. We never returned. The congestion was ever present, and the food wasn't worth that kind of wait. The Park Cafe was a much better choice. We saw some go to Johnny Rockets for breakfast (free). We didn't because we liked the selection at the Park Cafe better.

I'll give RCCL kudos with Guest Services. While there were times when lines were very long, they did their best to have the reps come talk to the people in line to see if they could solve the issues without the passengers waiting to get to the counter.

Central Park in general was less crowded than the Boardwalk.

If you're trying to hit the main pool area, and where the kids pools were, good luck. Those areas were totally congested, always. This pic was embarkation day about 5:30 p.m. That's the last time is was this "empty".

P5200141.jpg

We never found any problems finding a lounger in the Solarium 16+ area. So, we spent a lot of time there, also.

P5210184.jpg

This was a sea day at the Solarium, about 3:00 p.m. This was a crowded as I ever saw it. Never had a problem finding a lounger.

We aren't married so little desire to see newlyweds. showering and getting ready in the a.m., we saw the newlywed show. It was cute. Didn't see Quest, so can't comment.

Thanks! My brother and sister in law participated in the newlywed game and said it was pretty funny - was wondering if anyone saw it. They said they didn't realize it would be shown on the TV all week. LOL! (and they're far from newlyweds but had a great time).

We never found any problems finding a lounger in the Solarium 16+ area. So, we spent a lot of time there, also.

P5210184.jpg

This was a sea day at the Solarium, about 3:00 p.m. This was a crowded as I ever saw it. Never had a problem finding a lounger.

YOu say it was never crowded, but from this pic, all of the available chairs have towels on them. Actually one towel saving 2 chairs!

Which couple were they? This was one of the best Love & Marriage shows I have seen. This is the one show was always watch while on board. I haven't laughed so hard an a while.

Thanks! My brother and sister in law participated in the newlywed game and said it was pretty funny - was wondering if anyone saw it. They said they didn't realize it would be shown on the TV all week. LOL! (and they're far from newlyweds but had a great time).

Which couple were they? This was one of the best Love & Marriage shows I have seen. This is the one show was always watch while on board. I haven't laughed so hard an a while.

my brother was the one who ordered drinks in the middle of it and he didn't remember my SIL's bra size. That's all they've told me so far because they were laughing too hard to explain it all!! LOL!! They have a DVD I want to watch.

(and oops didn't realize it wasn't the Newlywed Game - Love & Marriage - that's it!)

There were 3 couples....one newlywed, one late 30s couple and a couple that was in their 70s. Don't know why they were actually on the newlywed show. I vaguely remember your SIL/Brother on the show. It was a cute show.

There were 3 couples....one newlywed, one late 30s couple and a couple that was in their 70s. Don't know why they were actually on the newlywed show. I vaguely remember your SIL/Brother on the show. It was a cute show.

they'll love you for that - they're both turning 50 this year! They said there was a much older couple who were adorable. I guess it's not a newlywed show, it's love and marriage so they get different ages to participate - I didn't remember what it was called. He said the cruise director was pretty funny - he made fun of him because right in the middle of it, 2 drinks showed up that my brother ordered because he knew he'd be up there awhile. Sounds like him!

they'll love you for that - they're both turning 50 this year! They said there was a much older couple who were adorable. I guess it's not a newlywed show, it's love and marriage so they get different ages to participate - I didn't remember what it was called. He said the cruise director was pretty funny - he made fun of him because right in the middle of it, 2 drinks showed up that my brother ordered because he knew he'd be up there awhile. Sounds like him!

Your brother the NYPD cop and Sister in Law were great! We kept seeing your SIL all over the ship. We loved them. When the guy came on stage with the 2 drinks I couldn't stop laughing. I have never seen that before.

You have to watch the DVD!

Your brother the NYPD cop and Sister in Law were great! We kept seeing your SIL all over the ship. We loved them. When the guy came on stage with the 2 drinks I couldn't stop laughing. I have never seen that before.

yup! He said most people just kept calling him copper the whole week - of course he was trying not to think about work - but with that haircut you can't quite escape it! My SIL said someone said in a quiet elevator "how do you not know your wife's bra size" LOL! They're a lot of fun. He said when he was going on stage, he just tossed his sign & sail card to the waiter and asked for some cosmos. He had no idea it would end up being so funny. I can't wait to watch the DVD!

GraphicGuy - sorry I hijacked your review!!

yup! He said most people just kept calling him copper the whole week - of course he was trying not to think about work - but with that haircut you can't quite escape it! My SIL said someone said in a quiet elevator "how do you not know your wife's bra size" LOL! They're a lot of fun. He said when he was going on stage, he just tossed his sign & sail card to the waiter and asked for some cosmos. He had no idea it would end up being so funny. I can't wait to watch the DVD!

GraphicGuy - sorry I hijacked your review!!

No apology required at all. Tell the lovely couple that they looked 10 years younger on TV. They did seem to be a very fun loving couple.

GF and I have been together for years. I can hold my hand up in the approximate size of her breasts. But, no way I could tell you her size.

Archived