Skagway Questions and Excursion Review

Love Cruis'n

I sure could use some guidance and advice in completing out excursion plans.

In Ketchikan, we plan to do a Float Plane (Carlin Air and Island Wings are our two top choices if available). The rest of the time, we can just explore town, etc. (Unless or course, someone offers up a "must not miss" suggestion).

In Juneau, we will go for the Capt. Larry Whale Watch in the morning, and take the Princess sponsored helicopter to Mendenhal Glacier in the afternoon.

Now it’s time for Skagway. We’re in port from 7AM till 8:30 PM. I’m looking at the (Princess sponsored) “Eagle Preserver Wildlife Quest by Jet Boat” or the “Alaska Nature & Wildlife Expedition” by motorcoach. Not enough time for both.

Any suggestions and comments would be welcomed. The one thing I’d love to do is see American Bald Eagles. While I realize that true wildlife is not subject to schedules, I’d love to hear back on the best way to maximize my odds.

Thanks.

:)

I may have found my own answer with the Eagle Preserve Scenic Float Adventure. It goes through the Chilkat Eagle Preserve - but I'd still appreciate some input and ideas from those that have "been there and done that." (I'm an Alaska first timer and am really geting juiced.)

Thanks again.

We also took the float plane in Ketchikan, and waiting to board, we saw the most eagles we saw on the whole trip. They were all fishing in the water near where the plane took off from.

I'm going on either the jet boat or float trip to the Eagle Preserve in Skagway in a week and a half, so I'll do a review after.

Two of the most important comments about the jet boat operator are at http://juneauempire.com/stories/051904/let_letter6.shtml and http://juneauempire.com/stories/051804/let_letter4.shtml

Motorized transport of any kind is not very wildlife-friendly - aniamls and birds just hate the noise and smell. If you're in a train, jetboat or motorcoach, your chances of seeing anything are much smaller than if you're hiking, in a canoe or on a raft.

Murray

I’m a life long city dweller, and want to be eco-friendly.

What suggestions do you have? My age and physical condition preclude anything too strenuous. :o

Please provide some constructive suggestions, and do you know when spawning season starts in the Ketchikan area?

The float trip would be much better eco-friendly wise. Don't count on too many eagles in the preserve during the summer. They usually go there in early winter for a late salmon spawn. I have counted up to 80 eagles on beaches during low tides around fishing docks. The charter boats clean the catch and toss the carcasses off the dock. When the tide goes out, the carcasses become available to the eagles. They are also on their nests until late July or so.

Spawning in Southeast generally starts about mid-July, but can vary a week or so each way depending on ocean temps, etc. I don't know much about Ketchikan specifically.

I sure could use some guidance and advice in completing out excursion plans.

In Ketchikan' date=' we plan to do a Float Plane (Carlin Air and Island Wings are our two top choices if available). The rest of the time, we can just explore town, etc. (Unless or course, someone offers up a "must not miss" suggestion).

In Juneau, we will go for the Capt. Larry Whale Watch in the morning, and take the Princess sponsored helicopter to Mendenhal Glacier in the afternoon.

Now it’s time for Skagway. We’re in port from 7AM till 8:30 PM. I’m looking at the (Princess sponsored) “Eagle Preserver Wildlife Quest by Jet Boat” or the “Alaska Nature & Wildlife Expedition” by motorcoach. Not enough time for both.

Any suggestions and comments would be welcomed. The one thing I’d love to do is see American Bald Eagles. While I realize that true wildlife is not subject to schedules, I’d love to hear back on the best way to maximize my odds.

Thanks.

:)[/quote']

As a suggestion, you are adding at least an hour in shuttle time by doing your whale watch and helicopter flight separate. If you booked your choice for Mendenhall Glacier- it is not superior to any other glacier that is landed upon. The Orca Enterprise/Coastal Helicopter combo just makes better use of time.

Thank-you, Budget Queen. Any thoughts on my Skagway decision?

Your posts are always so informative, and it sounds like you've done Alaska many many times. Just curious - how many?

Thanks again.

Terry

Love: Here is another suggestion for Skagway. Having been to Alaska twice before( my third trip is in 3 weeks) the first time to Skagway the White pass Railroad. The last time was "Experience the Yukon". which by the way my DH and I think that this was the best excursion ever. Now I looked in the Princes Excursion site and found tht you can combine the two. You can ride the bus for the experience the yukon part and the other half of the excursion is the train ride. If you are interested go to the princess site excursion and see if that interests you. This is just a suggestion for you to consider.

Marilyn

My experience is that you are very likely to see at least 10 bald eagles on your Juneau whale watch, so I would opt for the rail trip in Skagway as Budget Queen suggests. If you are booking through the ship and have a 24 hour lead time on your itinerary between Juneau and Skagway, you could cancel the train and do the eagle float trip. If you book both (using different members of your party for each) you could hold a place til you decide, but I'm sure you wouldn't want to prevent others from booking, so use discretion on this.

Thank-you' date=' Budget Queen. Any thoughts on my Skagway decision?

Your posts are always so informative, and it sounds like you've done Alaska many many times. Just curious - how many?

Thanks again.

Terry[/quote']

18 with 2 booked this year, May and August.

I'm going to try to go with Budget Queens advise, and do the Orca Enterprise/Coastal Helicopter combo, but my questions is can I do the helicopter first, and then the whale watch? The other in my group just want to do the Capt. Larry whale watch in the afternoon. Is a moring helicopter to the glacier followed by an ORCA whale watch an option? And who do I call (and at what number) to book the combo? Capt. Larry or Coastal (and I do not have their number)?

Thanks very much.

Terry

Archived