First time--what to do?

purpleally

No doubt you'll be told this a squillion times but everyone on this board has their favourite river cruise company. Me, I favour Tauck because it is all- inclusive and I can't imagine another company being any better. Others have their favourites for their reasons. I think the most important thing is to take the time to decide what you want to see and do. Use a spread sheet to see what cruise companies provide a cruise that best meets your wants and needs and then go from there.

Whatever you decide to see and whatever river cruise company you choose I'm sure you'll become addicted to river cruising. It's a great way to holiday.

We've done more than one or two on each of Viking, GCT and Vantage. All were outstanding. You will see and experience much, much more than you will on an "Oceanliner" cruise in Europe. Tours and guides are excellent! You will have the opportunity to experience some nightlife in some cities and almost always the boats dock right in the heart of the city so there is no transportation problems/expense getting between the boat and the city center. You really see and experience a LOT more than a "taste" of a city. Though we've done a few oceanliner cruises in Europe, after we did our first river cruise in Europe, we will either fly to a city and stay or do a river cruise but we won't do a European oceanliner cruise again! Check out the following blog. I did a cut and paste from another thread. The blog will give you a good overview of what to expect on a river cruise.

Wendy Perrin of Conde Nast Traveler is doing an article for the August issue on river cruising. She cruised with Grand Circle, AMA Waterways ans Uniworld, on cruises on the Seine, the Rhine and the Danube in April. She was on our Grand Circle cruise on the Seine. You can see pictures from each cruise on the Perrin Post on the CN Traveler web site. I have also written a blog on our cruise, jackthetravelingman-seine.blogspot.com.

Since you are used to luxury lines, I suspect Tauck will be the best fit for you as it will be closest to what you are accustomed to and very inclusive.

I would stay away from Viking and Vantage.

Have read good things about scenic but never seen their boats.

Otherwise, AMA, Avalon and Uniworld would be the premium lines IMO, just below Tauck and less inclusive but still very nice.

While river cruises are similar to ocean cruises, there are also some differences. These are mainly due to the size difference. Rivers cruise ships must be able to fit under ancient bridges and into the locks. The ocean ships could never do this. So the river ships hold in the 100 to 150 passenger range. With the small ship, comes fewer choices. Meals are not as elaborate, and there are fewer choices. That does not mean they were bad. I enjoyed every meal.

Entertainment is minimal. Mainly enrichment talks often dealing with the next days sites. One cruise the highlight was one waiter playing his harmonica some evenings.

Each line is different, so here are some generalities:

Most/all shore excursions are included.

There is usually only one excursion offered at a time.

Wine is included at dinner and sometimes lunch

We love the Ocean cruises. We have been on 26 of them, but we also enjoy the river cruiss. Our fourth will be next month.

I have just done research for Sept 2013 although I did not look at Tauck. I have found limited availability, in fact some cabin classes are sold out already. If you are serious, do it now. Smaller ships, fewer cabins and much more interest in river cruising than 2 years ago. Booming market. Scenic has a very high end product in 2013, totally all inclusive including all day beverages and a butler in all cabin classes.

Archived