CELTIC CHARMS. from Voyager.

Haven't flown out of the Reykjavik airport, only in--it is pretty basic. Too bad you can't store your luggage somewhere and explore while you wait for your flight. I think there is luggage storage for people who go by the Blue Lagoon on the way to the airport. As far as earlier flights, probably not an option. THere are only a few flights to the US each day.

Airport very basic, rent a car, hardly any traffic, do go to the Blue Lagoon it is worth it! Today sunny and beautiful, Silversea has their Hospitally Desk sat up downstairs in our hotel today.

Yesterday, our sea day was coolish and though there was a Seafood Extravagansa on the pool deck not many sat outside. We enjoyed a relaxing time in the Obs Lounge until it was time to prepare for the Captain's Farewell and Krew Kapers. Good party though I have seen better crew shows. It lacked jokes. Routh was outstanding though and afterwards we made our way to Compass Rose and sat in his section. We talked about you, Col. Wes and Ida and of course he knew you well.

This morning dawned with a clear blue sky, though it is still cold. Saw geysers steaming on land as we are sailing along and just listened to our last excellent enrichment lecture from Mitchell Symmons. Tex-Mex lunch on the pool deck. We don't feed much on Tex-Mex stuff in the UK so we are looking forward to it, though I recall RachelG saying the standard isn't all that high.

Just been to our suite to see the suitcases put on the bed so that is our chore for this evening. Our flight is at 1610 hrs and Regent are taking us on a tour to pass some time away. A nice late debark, we've been told to be ready at 10 am.

Hi Tom & Barbara, continuing to enjoy your on board posts, sadly, know that the Captain's farewell and Krew Kapers means soon the end of your cruise will occur. Routh is an outstanding Regent crew member who shines in the dining service he provides and passionate entertainment he provides as a leader in Krew Kapers. Glad to hear Barbara and you enjoyed his service and conversation Tom. We were hoping Routh would be on board for our December Mumbai to Bali voyage but he goes home to the Philippines in October. Safe journey home and enjoy the front row seat for the Olympics!

This am sitting in the lounge at the Reykjavik Hilton, I can see voyager in the distance. I can see the very top of another smaller ship, which i suspect is silversea explorer. I met 2 couples on the plane that are going to board voyager today, and we saw the regent signs downstairs in the lobby.

It seems a long time now since we disembarked Voyager seamlessly. As we had a few hours to spare before our flight, we did not have to disembark until 10 am and we were taken on a tour, seeing Reykjavik and some museums. This took around 4 hours but we were at the airport in good time for our flight on Icelandair.

As Rachel said earlier, the airport is not a well run place. There were no porters. Literally no porters. As I push a wheelchair, I need help with cases but none was forthcoming. Our coach guide was kindness itself. He took over our luggage and took us to the check in desk and stayed with us until we headed off to security, The lounge was modest and crowded and when we went to the boarding gate, again there was no one there apart from the paper watchers. The flight itself was unremarkable and it was a pleasure to get to Heathrow where there is always staff to help disabled folk.

On our excursion on our last afternoon, we looked out everywhere for you Rachel, and though we passed the Hilton a few times and scanned the Hop on-Hop off bus we had to recognise it was hardly likely we would bump into each other. I was looking forward to that hug though. Barbara and I hope your adventure in and around Longyearbyen is going well.

It was good to meet you and Nancy, MotuIslander and also DaveFr eventually. Good wishes to you and your wife, Pierrem, great Ozzies carrying on to Stockholm.

We loved the cruise on Voyager. She is a beautiful ship, plenty of the crew remembered us. Not too keen on the CD but all of the other staff, senior and junior, were exemplary. The comment cards have hardly enough room for all the names.

Finally, as frequently happens after our cruises, I picked up a nasty chest cold on our last couple of days so at the moment I an coughing and sneezing and I have no butler now to bring me drinks and newspapers, pick up towels after me and wash up my glasses and dishes. So I am feeling sorry for myself and looking forward to shaking the misery off.

Tom,

So glad that you enjoyed the cruise and are now safely home albeit with a chest cold. I enjoyed meeting you and Barbara and hope that we will meet again on a future cruise. Unfortunately, I did not catch up with any other CC members.

As we sail on, the crew are still maintaining their wondefully high level of service and so far, the weather has been favourable in our last two Icelandic ports. The scenery has been spectacular too.

Peter

Echo Peter's welcome home wishes Tom & Barbara, thanks again for taking us along your Celtic Charms journey. Tom, did you do an on board booking? Maybe Mumbai to Bali? :)

Echo Peter's welcome home wishes Tom & Barbara, thanks again for taking us along your Celtic Charms journey. Tom, did you do an on board booking? Maybe Mumbai to Bali? :)

No on board bookings, Wes. We did think about it and we are very attracted by the itinerary but the flights at the beginning and end would be too much for us.

Appreciate you seriously considering Mumbai to Bali Tom, promise to help Barbara and you vicariously enjoy our Voyage in words and many pix posted on the Temples, Tropics and Towers thread in late November. Ida and I just got our Indian visa's yesterday--our voyage is slowly becoming a reality--we have a modestly active roll call too.

There was one matter I intended to comment on but forgot earlier. On previous Regent cruises I had seen guests passing envelopes and even cash to various waiters etc. on the final night. I saw none this time and I got no impression of staff hanging around looking for tips. It is a real pleasure to feel that the service given is without expectation of personal reward.

Archived