HAL hotels for Denali cruise tour?

GregnChris

I am looking at the Alaska Triple Denali Cruise Tour on HAL and wondered where you stay when at Denali? I see that Princess has two hotels near the park, one in the south, and one at the entrance. Princess has information about them on their web site. Are these the same hotels that HAL uses? If not, can someone share the hotels HAL uses and their location?

Besides taking the included Wilderness Tundra tour, is the hotel convenient for doing things on your own? Or are you pretty much stuck taking the HAL excursions?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Greg

Not that it's a guarantee, but we were on a HAL CruiseTour in 2008 and were lodged at the McKinley Chalets. It's located fairly centrally. We walked to the visitor center and to get on the bus for the tour into the wilderness area.

Our room was adequate but certainly "rustic"......the log cabin look with twin beds. Though it had a weird sitting area....

I haven't learned how to attach photos....sorry.

983686899_Alaska07-08-342.jpg.d938ab5fbd049ab417c0e044ab6e8be8.jpg

McKinley Chalets are what HAL uses. They are rustic, log cabins with 4 rooms up, reached by outside stairs with a balcony along the front and four down. The bathrooms are updated but not anything special. Comfortable but not luxurious by any means. The complex is served by vans which run continuously from the main lodge where you find the restaurants, snack bar and shop.

Just across the highway is a strip mall with shopping and restaurants. There's a very busy restaurant that serves huge portions of great salmon at the far end. Everything is walkable (paved) unless you have trouble with hilly terrain. As the previous poster stated, tour buses come to the door of the main building.

The building with the pool that you see in the HAL brochure is in the complex but off to the side. I have no idea who gets to stay there.

The Princess hotel is just down the street and is much more luxurious.

Note to anyone who wears hearing aids, be sure to bring enough batteries. We were there the first week in August. I had not counted on the very long travel days and staying up later than usual so my batteries did not last as long as usual. Neither the HAL nor Princess Denali hotels had the 312 common size hearing aid batteries I needed, nor did any of the shops in the strip mall.

A fellow traveler at the Denali Alaskan Railway station heard my request at the gift shop there and kindly gave me two from his own supply, refusing any payment. Thank you, Sir! I still count you as one of the angels in this world.

BTW, I wrote to HAL and to Aramark who operate the Denali Chalets regarding my unfilled need. Never heard from either one but hope they made note. Running out at the end of the season I might understand, but not mid-season. This is a basic need for the age group that is HAL's major market.

Other than the aforementioned strip mall hear the hotels, you will get the feeling of complete wilderness!! (for miles!!)

Thanks for mentioning that! I didn't intend for my post to sound negative. Indeed, that little patch of civilization is overwhelmed by the beauty and vastness of the Alaskan wilderness. The rustic nature of the McKinley chalets fits in beautifully with the scenery. BTW, my adult sons and families were blown away by Denali and want to go back.

On the Tundra Wilderness tour, our stop at the Polychrome Mountains lookout area was an emotional experience for me. Looking out over that vast, empty, incredibly beautiful landscape made me feel like I was an audience of one at the creation of the world. Goose-bump time, even now. (Yes, there were 59 other people on that bus, but everyone was so quiet, I think they were having similar feelings.)

Thanks everyone for the hotel name, feathersandnananose. I found the McKinley Chalets web site and it gives a pretty good idea of the place.

And thanks for the description of the area, the2ofus. I located it on Google Earth. And catl331, you sure are right. Once you look beyond the roadside establishments, there is an awful lot of beauty surrounding the area.

We are mid 60's, and still mobile, so we like to hike. From the brochures it seems that there is plenty of hiking around the area. I guess you just have to avoid the bears.

While we have done several HAL cruises and really enjoy them, I wonder if Princess would be a better choice for the interior of Alaska? Anyone used them for comparison?

Greg

Our room was adequate but certainly "rustic"......the log cabin look with twin beds. Though it had a weird sitting area....

In 2007 we got the Chalet Canyon Lodge at McKinley Chalets, their newest building at the time, and it was "modern rustic". Very nice!

2774472460099632937S425x425Q85.jpg

2624505380099632937S425x425Q85.jpg

One thing we loved about McKinley chalets is the free shuttle bus service that circles the property from early morning till late evening. This is so helpful when you're on your way to/from the main building (which houses reception, restaurants, some shops), or to the Family Style Dinner restaurant on the property.

We've stayed both in the Canyon Lodge ... newer and more hotel-like ... and in some of the 2-story log cabin buildings. Loved the log cabin building because it was right by the river with water rippling over the rocks and we could see/hear it from our little balcony :)

We just returned from a HAL double denali cruise tour and everyone in our group (3 busses worth) were in the Canyon Lodge, which is not really rustic. We enjoyed the shuttle service around the resort and to the park headquarters.

• 1 month later...

We just got back from Denali and stayed at the Westmark Denali (HAL) motel (McKinley chalets). We ate at the Family Style Dinner restaurant on the property in which the waiters were part of the show and reenacted what it would be like to eat in a mining town in Alaska. We rented a car from Keys to Denali, LLC - Car Rental Near Denali Park. They picked us up and took us to fill out the paperwork for the car. When finished, they drove us back after we left off the car. The car was very nice.

However, if we had it to do again and enough time. We would take one of the longer tours through the park. When you rent a car, you can only go 15 miles in and then have to turn around and there is only one road. We saw a couple of moose but it really wasn't anything spectacular. We did stop at the dog sled area of the park and several nature trails which were very nice.

GregnChris - GO! Alaska is FABULOUS! Three years ago the husband & I did a southbound Double-Denali cruise/tour. No, the McKinley chalets are not luxurious, but they are clean & comfortable. Denali is NOT the place that you will be spending much time in your cabin, or hotel room, or whatever you want to call it.

We went in Sept, when there's about 12 hours of daylight. In the summer, there's a whole lot more. On a SB trip you leave Fairbanks around breakfast time & get in to Denali about 4-5 hours later. That leaves the afternoon/evening of arrival day free to do whatever you want. We did a HAL "excursion" - sunset ATV riding at Healy (Black Diamond), about 12 miles north of the park entrance. It. Was. Awesome.

Day 2 was the TWT - Tundra Wilderness Tour. I'm not a fan of 8 hour bus rides, so John & the rest of our little travelling group went. They had a blast & saw 4 of the big 5. Plus a fox. I went over to the park a little later & hiked 3 miles in to the kennel to play with the sled dogs. I was quite happy. Look up Denali on the NPS website to get heaps of info.

Day 3 we were up early to leave after a hearty breakfast in one of the Chalet's restaurants. The train from Denali to Anchorage is about 8 hours. Pretty good food on the train - lunch & dinner.

View of the Nenana River from the balcony of our block of rooms at McKinley Chalets:

3991077751_4c0e145d79.jpg

I wonder if Princess would be a better choice for the interior of Alaska? Anyone used them for comparison?

Greg

I have gone on cruise tours in Alaska twice ... both with Princess. I have never cruised with HAL (currently booked for Panama Canal). I like Princess because I really like their train cars -- in the line of cars, the Princess cars appear to be the "tallest". The height is necessary to see over the scrub vegetation at the edge of the railroad line out into the beauty of the landscape. I also like the Princess accommodations at Denali - the property just outside the entrance to the Park. I love being able to sit at the back of the property and see the river and people rafting on the river. It has really developed since our first stay -- and there are fun little shops around the property as well. I think that Princess is very well organized as to their cruise tours. Everything moves like clockwork -- busses, trains, guides, tours, luggage ... everything!

We're doing this cruisetour August 25th and are scheduled to stay at the McKinley Chalet as well. Nice to hear it's OK. How are the other two hotels, the Westmark Anchorage and the Westmark Fairbanks?

Thanks.

The Princess hotel is just down the street and is much more luxurious.

I've never stayed at McKinley Chalets, but DH and I have stayed at Denali Princess on two separate visits -- 2010 and 2011. The main building and restaurants are very nice, but the rooms, I would not describe as luxurious. I tried to attach thumbnail photos of our room, but the file sizes were too large.

We have stayed at the HAL hotel in Fairbanks. It was nice and functional, but I would describe the bathrooms as outdated. It wasn't "bad," by any means, but it reminded me of my grandma's house in the choice of tile colors. The hotel itself is quite large, with several wings requiring turns in different directions.

For Anchorage, we only ate in the restaurant, so I can't comment on rooms.

While we have done several HAL cruises and really enjoy them, I wonder if Princess would be a better choice for the interior of Alaska? Anyone used them for comparison?Greg

We did Alaska in 2008 with Princess. Although we were disappointed in the on board experience, and the ship's inability to get as close to the glaciers as other, smaller ships, we thoroughly enjoyed the land portion of the cruisetour. The accommodations at Denali (north & south) were clean and comfortable, on par with a Hampton Inn (IMO). The food available was good to very good. The Princess rail cars were superb.

BTW, the river rafting at north Denali is a blast and not to be missed.

Thanks everyone for your replies. Unfortunately, it looks like we have to put off Alaska for another year. Hopefully, next summer. We went once, on Volendam, from Vancouver. We really enjoyed that and I want to do it again, but this time spend some more time inland. All of your comments will help me decide what cruise tour I should book. Thanks again.

Greg

Gosh - I just assumed you WERE looking at next year. Your siggy shows a September cruise in Portugal? so I figured it would be kinda tight to squeeze in a 12+ day cruisetour.

But if you've only done an Alaska cruise - GO to the interior. :):) John & I did a southbound cruisetour in 2009 & LOVED it. We're returning this year for Amsterdam's final 14-day itinerary & are super-excited about all those extra ports.

But we've decided that the next Alaska trip will likely ONLY be a land-based one. Don't know when or where, but there's just sooooo much to that big beautiful state than a cruiseship can get to. It's like driving I-95 Maine to FLA & saying I've seen the all the states of the East Coast. Or the PCH & saying I know what all of California looks like. :o

SUnshine91…yes, after 4 AK cruises, we agree with you about doing a "land only tour" and are excited to be doing just that this year…for 3 weeks. It'll be difficult not having the luxury of the cruise, but sights should be fantastic.

Cruising is just the beginning step to see AK!

SUnshine91…yes, after 4 AK cruises, we agree with you about doing a "land only tour" and are excited to be doing just that this year…for 3 weeks. It'll be difficult not having the luxury of the cruise, but sights should be fantastic.

Cruising is just the beginning step to see AK!

The best way, IMHO, is what we did 5 years ago - cruise from Vancouver to Seward, then fly to Deadhorse (on Prudhoe Bay), bus tour back to Fairbanks then train to Denali for two days, train back to Anchorage then on to Seward for an overnight and cruise back to Vancouver - really get the best of everything.

Archived