beach-shopping citavecchia

xcomet

Are they too old for a water park? There's one a short ten minute bus ride from the port: http://www.aquafelix.it/aquafelix-tour.html#in

This is the google translation of their "about" page (the website is all in Italian):

Pool dreams. Water slides for all tastes and all ages. Navigable rivers in a canoe. Whirlpools. Games. Attractions. Shows and lots of music, with bar, pizzeria and restaurant. Everything under the warm rays of the sun or between trees on large solarium and lush green lawns along the sweet decay of a hill a few meters from the sea. You Aquafelix, the largest water park in Rome and Lazio. You get there and to Civitavecchia motorway A12 - exit Civitavecchia Nord - after only 2 km from the junction. Aquafelix was born in the summer of 1995 and reached the highest heights of fame and appreciation in the Top 10 water parks most beautiful in Italy. It covers an area of 80,000 square feet and was built according to detailed technical studies and to adapt it to the geological morphology of the terrain and to make it consistently meets the needs of a user regardless of age. All the structures have been made ​​in full compliance with the maximum safety. Each Aquafelix attraction that offers its patrons is designed to respect the environment that surrounds it, almost to constitute an integral part, without attacking the first impact of the visitor, but leaving him the pleasure of discovery along the paths that are suggested , all absolutely free of architectural barriers. A journey through a fantastic aquatic world where every place is nicely marked by the Latin names in burlesque.

Are they too old for a water park? There's one a short ten minute bus ride from the port: http://www.aquafelix.it/aquafelix-tour.html#in

This is the google translation of their "about" page (the website is all in Italian):

Pool dreams. Water slides for all tastes and all ages. Navigable rivers in a canoe. Whirlpools. Games. Attractions. Shows and lots of music, with bar, pizzeria and restaurant. Everything under the warm rays of the sun or between trees on large solarium and lush green lawns along the sweet decay of a hill a few meters from the sea. You Aquafelix, the largest water park in Rome and Lazio. You get there and to Civitavecchia motorway A12 - exit Civitavecchia Nord - after only 2 km from the junction. Aquafelix was born in the summer of 1995 and reached the highest heights of fame and appreciation in the Top 10 water parks most beautiful in Italy. It covers an area of 80,000 square feet and was built according to detailed technical studies and to adapt it to the geological morphology of the terrain and to make it consistently meets the needs of a user regardless of age. All the structures have been made ​​in full compliance with the maximum safety. Each Aquafelix attraction that offers its patrons is designed to respect the environment that surrounds it, almost to constitute an integral part, without attacking the first impact of the visitor, but leaving him the pleasure of discovery along the paths that are suggested , all absolutely free of architectural barriers. A journey through a fantastic aquatic world where every place is nicely marked by the Latin names in burlesque.

That sounds great but, we live close to two water parks, with, season passes to one. The two older ones wouldnt enjoy the water park,and for me wouldnt be down time. Id be on the rides :)

Ahhh. Love the sweet decay of a hill and the Latin names in burlesque!!

Civitavecchia has really done a good job improving their city, but its still a realtively small town with limited shopping. If you take the free shuttle to the port entrance you can walk along the beach or shop along the street that fronts the beach or the main drag that goes inland from right across the street from the port entrance. There are some shops and a McDonalds (should make your kids happy) but its not a shopping paradise. Keep in mind that you can buy a BIRG ticket for about 9 Euros (adults) and use that to get you into Rome (round trip) plus all days use of the Metro and buses. If you have the time you might just want to go into Rome for a few hours where there is plenty of shopping and lots to do. We understand that many cruisers get worn out from ports (we just returned from a cruise that went to 31 ports) but when you DIY you do not have to overdo things.

Hank

We took the shuttle from the ship to the Port entrance. Then walked along the beach front for about 10 minutes (to the right of the port entrance as you exit) and my hubby enjoyed swimming and sunbathing while I walked around the town for a couple of hours.

Photos in the link below in the Barcelona Med. Cruise Album page 3.

Have a wonderful cruise.

Kathy:)

Yes, you can spend an enjoyable day at the port as we did on our last visit there.

You can either take the shuttle from the ship to the port entrance or take the 10 minute walk. The town has many streets lined with shops, cafes and restaurants and you can spend hours doing this. As mentioned if you go to your right there is a beach right there.On most days the town also has an outdoor market that is open that sells anything from produce to clothing.

Each year the town is improving and if you are looking for a day to relax and avoid all the touring and the long drives then you can do this here.

Keith

We have just returned from calling at Civitavecchia and agree with Keith101o's post above. The area arround the port has been much improved and we had a pleasant walk along the sea front and ended with a drink sitting on the terrace overlooking the sea.

Plenty of shops, etc in the town itself and we enjoyed a quiet time pottering around after several days of hectic sightseeing.

HI there,

Anyone know about a beach and or shopping near port of citavecchia?

Need a down day for my teens from port intensive cruising.:)

If we ever stopped in Civitavecchia, and didn't go to Rome, my teens (not to mention my DW) would kill me!!:eek::rolleyes:

None of my business, I know, but I can only assume everyone has been several times, and are all-"Romed-out"?:(

If we ever stopped in Civitavecchia, and didn't go to Rome, my teens (not to mention my DW) would kill me!!:eek::rolleyes:

None of my business, I know, but I can only assume everyone has been several times, and are all-"Romed-out"?:(

Agreed! Even after multiple trips to Rome, there is NO WAY I would stay in Civitavecchia for the day! I would skip Florence or Naples if absolutely necessary but never Rome. However, I understand that everyone has different circumstances and priorities, and even though it is incomprehensible to me personally, I say go with whatever works for you. Still. . .:confused::confused:

Agreed! Even after multiple trips to Rome, there is NO WAY I would stay in Civitavecchia for the day! I would skip Florence or Naples if absolutely necessary but never Rome. However, I understand that everyone has different circumstances and priorities, and even though it is incomprehensible to me personally, I say go with whatever works for you. Still. . .:confused::confused:

No...No...No....couldn't skip Florence...then I would miss lunch at Trattoria Nella, and miss gelato at Grom...and Perche No!...and Vivoli...and... :D

Sorry to hijack this thread, but for those of you whose teens love Rome, what are their favorite things to do there? My 16 and 20 yr old 'kids' will be with us and I want to be sure we hit the things that will be most enjoyed/appreciated.

Would it be crazy to give a 16 yr old girl time to shop here? We will be in Rome on a holiday (Aug 15), so the Vatican/Sistine Chapel will be closed - very sad for me, but I guess that frees up some time for other things - but what?!

Thanks for any tips/suggestions...

Um, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but there won't be a lot of shopping to choose from on Ferragosto (August 15), which is a major Italian holiday. There will be some open, not everything closes, and other museums will be open. You'll find many restaurants closed, but many open as well.

Sorry to hijack this thread, but for those of you whose teens love Rome, what are their favorite things to do there? My 16 and 20 yr old 'kids' will be with us and I want to be sure we hit the things that will be most enjoyed/appreciated.

Would it be crazy to give a 16 yr old girl time to shop here? We will be in Rome on a holiday (Aug 15), so the Vatican/Sistine Chapel will be closed - very sad for me, but I guess that frees up some time for other things - but what?!

When we were there last my teens were two 17yr olds, one 16 yr old and one 13 yr old. the chur

We saw some odd things to keep the kids entertained, like the body of st dorotea at Chapel of the Convent of Santa Dorotea in Rome, Italy.We also did the church of the capuchins,the tour of the underground tunnels at the colisseum,as for shopping, ask your tour guide or hotel staff. We went to a flea market in rome, (wish I could remember where) and got tons of inexpensive leather shoes for the girls, and great clothes too. I asked our guide, "Where do you shop?" and she gave us directions on the train , and off we went.

You are all very funny! But I have learned over the years, that sometimes , no matter where you are or what you want to do , your kids need to be kids or teens! It really begins to become just another big city, and they stop enjoying it ,and only remember it as a marathon! It will be so so nice to have the time to sit ,eat ( well we should have enough of that on the ship), relax, talk to each other, shop a little, etc. talk some more, cause when youre home, as you know, its back to work,school and of course their social lives and those moments where you have their undivided attention, will become the ones you remember most!

We have just returned from calling at Civitavecchia and agree with Keith101o's post above. The area arround the port has been much improved and we had a pleasant walk along the sea front and ended with a drink sitting on the terrace overlooking the sea.

Plenty of shops, etc in the town itself and we enjoyed a quiet time pottering around after several days of hectic sightseeing.

thank you!

I would suggest maybe watching some movies, like"Roman Holiday", and "The Talented Mr Ripley" (great scenes in Rome, Naples, Amalfi Coast, Venice), and then visiting some of the sites in the movies...like the Spanish Steps (and the apartment is nearby, at 51, via Margutta), the Forum, the Piazza della Rotunda (the Pantheon), the Bocca della Verita (the 'Mouth of Truth", at the church of Santa Maria in Cosmedin); you (and the 'kids') might enjoy a stroll from the Spanish Steps down the via Condotti, and check out the tony stores--all the big designer names are there.

Depending on what's open on the holiday, we have also enjoyed:

--The Rome from the Sky Elevator at the Piazza Venezia (Victor Emmanuel monument)

--Browsing/shopping at the market at the Campo dei Fiori--my DW and DD love the well-made-but-cheap bracelets (kind of Pandora-like)--good lunch/gelato there, too)

--Sampling gelato--my favourites are: San Crispino, Giolitti, La Palma, Plazzo del Freddo, Claudio Torce (near Circus Maximus/Bocca della Verita), Fior di Luna....so many more...

--Just strolling --Rome, much like Paris, is just a big open-air museum---we enjoy strolling around the historic centre (of course)--the Pantheon, The Piazza Navona, via del Governo Vecchio (great pizza at Da Baffetto), the Ghetto, Trastavere, the fountains in the Bhorgese gardens...

We've always had fun introducing the kids (and ourselves), in advance of travel, to new places through watching movies set there--like Roman Holiday, Mr Ripley, Gladiator, Ben Hur, The Robe, even silly ones like Summer Lovers (not for the kids!), My Life in Ruins, 'Round Midnight (jazz age in Paris), Midnight in Paris, et cetera.

Enjoy Rome!

Archived