New Vegetarian Menu

About a month ago HAL announced that they had designed a new vegetarian menu. Does anyone know whether this has been implemented on the ships yet? If so, do you have to request it the day before and make your choice or just ask for it when you sit down to eat? Thanks.

I was on the Rotterdam last week and there are vegetarian options (identified as "gourmet vegetarian") offered in each section of the menu. I don't know if they were different from last year, I guess I didn't pay that much attention, but everything was good. One night the vegetarian entree (some nights there were two different veggie entrees, other nights only one) was Italian, another night Indian, etc.

I was on the Rotterdam last week and there are vegetarian options (identified as "gourmet vegetarian") offered in each section of the menu. I don't know if they were different from last year, I guess I didn't pay that much attention, but everything was good. One night the vegetarian entree (some nights there were two different veggie entrees, other nights only one) was Italian, another night Indian, etc.

Thanks for your reply. It isn't just the one veggie option for each course that they offer now but a whole menu apparantly: http://www.marketwatch.com/story/holland-america-line-now-serves-a-new-vegetarian-only-alternative-menu-2012-05-02

About a month ago HAL announced that they had designed a new vegetarian menu. Does anyone know whether this has been implemented on the ships yet? If so, do you have to request it the day before and make your choice or just ask for it when you sit down to eat? Thanks.

It was available on the Veendam in early May.

• 1 year later...

Here you go!

VEGETARIAN MENU

Select one option from each section to be served the following evening.

Appetizers

Lemon and Spinach Ricotta Dip

Vegetarian Mezza Plate (vegan) - Baba Ghanousch, hummus, tabbouleh

Vegetable Terrine - broccoli, carrot, zucchini, tarragon sour cream

Strawberry and Bucatini Bruschetta

Vegetarian Sushi Roll (vegan) - avocado, cucumber, red pimento

Portabello Mushroom and Chipotle Quesadilla

Vietnamese Vegetable Spring Roll (vegan)

Curried Vegetable Empanadas

Soups

Asian Noodle Soup (vegan)

Roasted Butternut Squash Soup (vegan)

Pasta Fagioli (vegan)

Salads

Tossed Fresh Garden Greens (vegan)

Spicy Lentil and Garbanzo Salad (vegan)

Entrees

Baked Cheese Polenta with Mushrooms Artichoke Hearts

Asparagus, Carrot and Zucchini Tart

Baked Vegetable Lasagna

Vegetable and Bean Chili - with sour cream

Pad Thai Noodles (vegan)

Vegetable Jambalaya (vegan)

Spinach Palak Curry

Sweet and Sour Vegetable Tempura (vegan)

Grilled Vegetable and Tofu Kabob (vegan)

Thanks for your reply. It isn't just the one veggie option for each course that they offer now but a whole menu apparantly: http://www.marketwatch.com/story/holland-america-line-now-serves-a-new-vegetarian-only-alternative-menu-2012-05-02

When I was on the Zaandam in March they had a whole menu. It was shown outside the MDR next to the "regular" menu. I'm assuming when you are seated you can ask for the vegetarian menu. My kids weren't with me so I ate carnivore. I did tell them about the menu and suggested they cruise HAL next time.

When I was on the Zaandam in March they had a whole menu. It was shown outside the MDR next to the "regular" menu. I'm assuming when you are seated you can ask for the vegetarian menu. My kids weren't with me so I ate carnivore. I did tell them about the menu and suggested they cruise HAL next time.

I wonder if that means you no longer have to order it the night before. We don't eat dinner in the MDR every evening, and don't want to have to make that decision in advance, so I have never had the opportunity to order from the vegetarian menu. I have always enjoyed the vegetarian entrees on the regular menu, however.

I am on the Zaandam right now and have ordered from the vegetarian menu listed above all week. I asked for the vegetarian menu the first night and have ordered for the following night each evening. The food has been excellent!

We did a few b2b March to May on the Zaandam and Statendam. My husband got an actual vegetarian menu each night to pre order for the next evenings dinner as he has a citrus allergy and while we cruise he eats vegetarian.

There is also a vegetarian meal on the regular MDR menu every night.

Here you go!

VEGETARIAN MENU

Select one option from each section to be served the following evening.

Appetizers

Lemon and Spinach Ricotta Dip

Vegetarian Mezza Plate (vegan) - Baba Ghanousch, hummus, tabbouleh

Vegetable Terrine - broccoli, carrot, zucchini, tarragon sour cream

Strawberry and Bucatini Bruschetta

Vegetarian Sushi Roll (vegan) - avocado, cucumber, red pimento

Portabello Mushroom and Chipotle Quesadilla

Vietnamese Vegetable Spring Roll (vegan)

Curried Vegetable Empanadas

Soups

Asian Noodle Soup (vegan)

Roasted Butternut Squash Soup (vegan)

Pasta Fagioli (vegan)

Salads

Tossed Fresh Garden Greens (vegan)

Spicy Lentil and Garbanzo Salad (vegan)

Entrees

Baked Cheese Polenta with Mushrooms Artichoke Hearts

Asparagus, Carrot and Zucchini Tart

Baked Vegetable Lasagna

Vegetable and Bean Chili - with sour cream

Pad Thai Noodles (vegan)

Vegetable Jambalaya (vegan)

Spinach Palak Curry

Sweet and Sour Vegetable Tempura (vegan)

Grilled Vegetable and Tofu Kabob (vegan)

This is the first time I've seen the full menu...in the past, I've only seen one or two offerings on the daily menu. This is a wonderful selection!

Archived