If you are bringing your own toddler cot, do you really need a room with a pull bed?

ebandive

Hi folks - I'm not new to cruising but I'm new to cruising with a kid(s). Just planning (way) ahead, and have a quick question.

We would cruise with a just turned two year old and possibly a four year old. We were hoping for an aft balcony, however aft balcony's on Carnival only seem built to hold 3 - even though our 4th would be in our own toddler cot. Do we really need a room for 4? If so, it doesn't appear we can get an aft balcony, which is a bummer. Hoping to cruise on Carnival since they have the kids program for age 2 and up, right? :o Sorry, just trying to make sure I get all my facts straight. Obviously, I would pay for them both - I'm just asking why I need a room with a pull down 4th bed that we would not use. ??? The 4 year old would be in the convertible couch, and the 2 y/o on the cot.

The cruise lines usually require you to have a cabin with a berth for each passenger, so even though my girls and I shared a bed when they were toddlers, we were required to be in a cabin with a 3rd bed, even if was never going to be used.

Best,

Mia

Yes because they need a proper head count. It's not the beds that matter, they don't care where you or anyone else sleeps. You could all sleep on the floor in the bathroom if you so desired.

But seriously:

If every room had 1 extra person in it, the ship would be waaaaay over capacity. Hundreds of people over, which would be a huge problem in the case of an emergency requiring lifeboats.

For our upcoming cruise my husband, son(a baby) and I were required to book a triple even though he sleeps with us. We found it was nearly the same price to book 2 double rooms and bring my mother along!

Sorry, not the answer you wanted to hear. You'll enjoy your cruise even without the aft.

Thanks for the replies, and that is what I was afraid of. I understand it, but it's just disappointing that it is not even an option at all - it's not like those cabins are sold out, but it is literally just not an option. Oh well, no aft for us. I checked the Legend, the Freedom, and the Dream (ie 3 different classes of ships) and none of them have an aft balcony that will sleep four.

You can always call and see if they will make the exception. Sometimes it is done for this scenario.

They will not make an exception. It's all about the lifeboat capacities. If they allowed someone to add a passenger to one cabin, then a cabin for four in that same muster station sector could not be used for capacity, and a family of four might not be able to sail. EM

I would still check with the cruiseline or travel agent. We went on Carnival Sensation 5 years ago and an aft cabin said it only had room for two people on their website (no couch or pullman in this cabin). The travel agent called Carnival to inquire about our then 4 year old, and they said they could put a rollaway in there for him so he was "added". At dinner we sat with another family of three and they said they wanted to book an aft cabin too, but were denied, only room for two. I don't know if it was because their daughter was much older(I think she was 14?) than our son and would not have fit in the rollaway bed.(It was short, but fit in the cabin just fine).

Its worth a try.

There is a provision to have a rollaway or trundle added to cabins on ships built before a certain time (2000?). IIRC this can be done on the Fantasy Class ships and the Destiny(?). We have had rollaways and trundles on the Paradise.

This is subject to how many souls are already onboard.

Archived