Laundry on Zuiderdam

am2

Here I was thinking, "How in the world and I going to pack enough clothes for 2 adults and 2 kids for a cruise?" when I come across something on the boards about a laundry service on the ship. Please give me details!

We'll be on the Zuiderdam cruising the Inside Passage at the end of the month. So I can fill a bag (how big is the bag?) for how much? Or I can pay for daily service- and is that per cabin or per person? Technically we'll have DH, our 10yo DS, and me in one cabin. DD is listed in a separate cabin with my parents (so we could get two cabins that will hold 4, in case the kids want to sleep with the grandparents ;)). Could we send in laundry for all 4 of us? Or all 6 of us? Or just the 3 people listed?

I'm mostly thinking socks, underwear, and shirts we want to rewear. If I could do it once mid-cruise and once at the end (we'll be in Vancouver 3 nights after the cruise) that would cut down significantly on clothes to pack!

There are three ways to pay to have your laundry done.

The first way is by the piece. Obviously, with this way you can put laundry belonging to anyone in the bag. However, this is a very expensive way to do laundry, and I would not recommend it.

The second way is by the bag. It costs $20 for all you can stuff in a bag. (I have read reports of other prices, frequently $26 per bag.) Again, with this way, it doesn't matter who the clothes belong to. You can stuff a lot in a bag if you work at it carefully!

The third method is the "unlimited" laundry plan. This costs about $7 per day of cruising, whether or not you send laundry on any given day. A week is about $49. With this plan, the service is for whoever is booked in that cabin.

You need to give the laundry time to do the job, and get the things back to you. So, at the end of the cruise, take this into consideration.

I have been fortunate, though, to get mine back quickly. I leave a bag on the bed when I go to dinner, and usually have it back the next afternoon. Sometimes it's back when I return from breakfast the next day!

You need to give the laundry time to do the job, and get the things back to you. So, at the end of the cruise, take this into consideration.

I have been fortunate, though, to get mine back quickly. I leave a bag on the bed when I go to dinner, and usually have it back the next afternoon. Sometimes it's back when I return from breakfast the next day!

I've found it to be fairly quick for every ship except for the Westerdam. That ship seemed to take well over 2 days.

Just get the unlimited package. Send as much as you like. It has been reported that the $7.00 per day increased to $9.00.

We would probably still do it at $9.00, it was a steal on our 18 day canal at $7.00 per day. Clothes needed a lot of washing, it was hot down there :eek:

Just get the unlimited package. Send as much as you like. It has been reported that the $7.00 per day increased to $9.00.

Another vote for unlimited laundry - if you need more bags just ask for them. They do a great job:) don't worry about the hot water stuff you might hear. Just mark it cold, hot /whatever and that's how it will be treated. 20 days twice and absolutely everything (except the unmentionable underwired thing and bathing suits) went out and came back fine-:)

Here I was thinking, "How in the world and I going to pack enough clothes for 2 adults and 2 kids for a cruise?" when I come across something on the boards about a laundry service on the ship. Please give me details!

We'll be on the Zuiderdam cruising the Inside Passage at the end of the month. So I can fill a bag (how big is the bag?) for how much? Or I can pay for daily service- and is that per cabin or per person? Technically we'll have DH, our 10yo DS, and me in one cabin. DD is listed in a separate cabin with my parents (so we could get two cabins that will hold 4, in case the kids want to sleep with the grandparents ;)). Could we send in laundry for all 4 of us? Or all 6 of us? Or just the 3 people listed?

I'm mostly thinking socks, underwear, and shirts we want to rewear. If I could do it once mid-cruise and once at the end (we'll be in Vancouver 3 nights after the cruise) that would cut down significantly on clothes to pack!

Do unlimited laundry. I think it will work out perfect for you and your family. Staying 3 extra night in Vancouver with all clean cloths, how does that sound. Hal does a great job, you will be so spoiled. :D Have a great cruise.

Just wanted to clarify- something I read on another message made it sound like unlimited laundry is only available if you are staying in a suite. Is that true- or can anyone use it? We're staying in a "J" cabin on the Zuiderdam.

And can anyone use the one-time bag of laundry option as well?

Just wanted to clarify- something I read on another message made it sound like unlimited laundry is only available if you are staying in a suite. Is that true- or can anyone use it? We're staying in a "J" cabin on the Zuiderdam.

And can anyone use the one-time bag of laundry option as well?

HAL is happy to take the money from everyone who is willing to pay for unlimited laundry. Same goes for the laundry by the bag option.

People in suites have unlimited laundry included in their suite fare.

With 3 or 4 of you -- get the unlimited laundry.

The bags are real big. For 2 people -- fine.

You will not be able to send anything out to the laundry the last 2 days of the cruise -- so keep that in mind.

Wait! Really? I remember the bags being real small, like 8" x 16" small. Now that was in a suite with complimentary laundry service. I don't know if its different when you pay by the bag. Is it a bigger bag? I'll be in a non-suite in December and I'm thinking the unlimited option will be the only way to go.

I remember the bags being real small, like 8" x 16" small. Now that was in a suite with complimentary laundry service. I don't know if its different when you pay by the bag. Is it a bigger bag? I'll be in a non-suite in December and I'm thinking the unlimited option will be the only way to go.

Just tell the steward to leave a few bags, and give him more than one bag daily. We always get the unlimited package, and send at least one bag daily. On some days he may get two or three.

Archived