Crete & Cyprus Attractions

Connecticutcruiser

What are you interested in? Both Crete and Cyprus have some great ruins. If your ship stops in Heraklion, then I highly recommend seeing Knossos. If you go to Chania (the other major port in Crete), Knossos is too far but you can visit Chania town (many find it charming; I was underwhelmed) or go to the farther-away but more interesting Rethimnon, which has a pretty harbor area and a Venetian fortress to explore.

In Limassol, sights include the Greco-Roman ruins at Kourion (Curium) and the mosaics at Paphos.

Not sure you can do it on your own, but the ruins of Aptera are pretty cool. There is an ancient Minoan amphitheater there. Also nearby are some Roman bath ruins and a large fort on a hill.........

We did an awesome private tour when we docked in Chania/Souda port. One of the best we have ever done.

We first went to Chania town with free time at the market, then the harbor. We had also asked to see some "real Crete" and were taken up into the mountains to visit some very neat villages. WE also visited an olive press and a winery along with stopping for some yummy local snacks..... a very nice day indeed ! We thoroughly enjoyed Crete and I could see going back for a land visit at some point.

Crete holds a very special place in my heart as that is where we went for our first "family" holiday. Knossos is great, its always fun looking at things that you learned about at school (Arthur Evans, mainly) But dont forget the Minotaur!!!!!!!!!!! (who I felt a bit sorry for)

Not sure you can do it on your own, but the ruins of Aptera are pretty cool. There is an ancient Minoan amphitheater there. Also nearby are some Roman bath ruins and a large fort on a hill.........

We did an awesome private tour when we docked in Chania/Souda port. One of the best we have ever done.

We first went to Chania town with free time at the market, then the harbor. We had also asked to see some "real Crete" and were taken up into the mountains to visit some very neat villages. WE also visited an olive press and a winery along with stopping for some yummy local snacks..... a very nice day indeed ! We thoroughly enjoyed Crete and I could see going back for a land visit at some point.

I would be interested in knowing who did you use for your private tour? What was the cost?

Thanks!

-Lisa

I would be interested in knowing who did you use for your private tour? What was the cost?

Thanks!

-Lisa

We used Lefty : here is his website :

http://www.greecetravel.com/crete/taxitours/index.html

He charges by the hour...... 40 euros p/h ...... one of the best tours we have ever done.

If you have any other questions...... ask ! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Cyprus is full of historic sites. The amphitheatre and excavated houses in Kourion are wonderful. Paphos is a great little resort town and the mosaics there in the ruins are wonderful.

We could not find any information on Cruise Critic before we went in Nov. 2009. I did not want to drive (or have my husband drive) on the wrong (left) side of the road. I found a company, Christours, and they arranged for two vans for us. One driver was good as he spoke some English. The other spoke none. If I were to do it again, I would rent a car as the roads were excellent and virtually empty.

I cannot speak to Cyprus (on our to do list|) but we have been to Crete a number of times on land based vacations and once last fall on a cruise ship.

Crete is a very large varried island. There are many options at each port-Chania or Heraklion. It would be difficult to recommend anything to you without knowing your personal tastes. Beaches, archaelogical sites, etc.

You might want to consider doing a little pre trip research to narrow down your options. We usually rent a car. We find it very easy to drive in Crete and there are lots of interesting drives to take.

Archived