Live From Carnival Breeze: Questions, Comments, Cocktails on Me?

Dan Askin

carnival-breeze-rome-collage.jpg

If you're a fan of Julius Caesar, Augustus or Caligula (kidding!), there's nothing like Rome. There's also almost no substitute for small group touring -- something Cruise Critic readers who make use of the Roll Call forum know well. I signed up for the "Rome on Your Own" excursion, a $70 motorcoach transfer during which 40-odd passengers ostensibly have use of a guide for the hour-plus trip from Civitavecchia to Rome. (You then get a ride back to the ship.) Come bearing questions or the guide will merely circle the Trevi Fountain, Pantheon and Coliseum on the map she hands out -- something you might be able to do yourself.

After the drop off at the Piazza del Popolo, I met a U.S. expat turned Rome tour guide and long-time friend of Cruise Radio's Matt Bedford, who's in our media group. She sped us through mini-tours of the Coliseum, Pantheon and San Pietro in Vincoli, and brought us to a low key cafe where Italians appeared to enjoy the sandwiches and salads. Rome is an easy capital in the sense that it’s imminently walkable (wear comfortable tennis shoes), but a challenge in that the history is as dense as the Pantheon's walls; and, like other epic destinations, tourist traps sprout like barbarian hordes around the 2,000-year-old monuments. Bouncing questions off a knowledgeable guide -- did Nero really fiddle while Rome burned? Should I get the raspberry or apricot gelato? -- goes a long way in making a cruiser feel like he spent his 8 hours well.

On the flipside, freelancer Art Sbarsky and Frommer's Matt Hannafin, experienced Rome-rs both, visited the monuments but also headed for Sbarsky's favorite hole-in-the-wall pizza spot (can't read the name on my pad, but I'll track him down) for pies and Italian lager. That works, too.

Whatever you do in Rome, remember to drink the water from the fontanillas, the public faucets that appear in almost every plaza. The water comes from the surrounding mountains.

One last bit: Cruise Director John Heald has a signature move of calling out the late arrivers on the PA just before scheduled push offs. A certain couple, I'll call them the Tylers, have been late three times in three ports … and been publicly humiliated each time. Somehow, they've managed to arrive before we bolted. Heald promised a stern lecture after this latest episode of tardiness.

Much more on the ship tomorrow and Wednesday as the port craziness slows down.

I am curious to know about the open top balconies on Deck 12. I have seen some pictures, but I would like to know how easy it is for those on decks above to see on the balcony. Also, if anyone else has had any experience with these type of 'open top' balconies I am curious to know how you liked them.. Thanks!

I am curious to know about the open top balconies on Deck 12. I have seen some pictures, but I would like to know how easy it is for those on decks above to see on the balcony. Also, if anyone else has had any experience with these type of 'open top' balconies I am curious to know how you liked them.. Thanks!

Great question! I would like to know this as well! We have booked into room 12002! Just over 100 days till I sail!

Couple shots taken around the sun deck this morning. Didn't include pics of bars (RedFrog Rum Bar, Blue Iguana Tequila Bar) or outside food venues (Blue Iguana Cantina, Guy's Burger Join, Pizza Pirate, Tandoori). Will add a few of those over the next couple days. Heading into Salerno, an unusual call on Med. itineraries, to explore.

carnival-breeze-beach-pool-2.jpg

carnival-breeze-main-pool-area-seaside-theater-2.jpg

carnival-breeze-sport-square-ropes-course-2.jpg

carnival-breeze-sun-deck-chairs.jpg

carnival-breeze-sun-deck-serenity-adult-only.jpg

carnival-breeze-sun-deck-tides-pool.jpg

Nice Dan...Thanks for cruising the Breeze, so we don't have to (but will anyway:D). But seriously, mall food court? Not very enticing to the taste buds.

BTW, I'm assuming the erstwhile pier running couple were the ones JH mentioned in his blog as being late from Rome and having to overnight then train to Salerno. Well, sure hope they're enjoying themselves. Gonna look for their negative reviews on Carnival treatment of late guests coming soon to this site.

We had 12037 on the Magic and the drain is right near it and it raining on our balcony whenever the waterworks were on or the mopped the decks. Yes the people were a few feet from you head and there was no privacy unless you were sitting under the slight overhang by the cabin door. At the railing, there was no privacy. There is a door right our to the deck by the cabin door as well as one that went a few feet that went to the main corridor. We thought that would be a problem, but no one seemed to use it except us, so that was OK.

I know this affected our cabin but, did not appear to happened to the cabins farther down, just the 2 or 3 cabins on the end.

We had 12037 on the Magic and the drain is right near it and it raining on our balcony whenever the waterworks were on or the mopped the decks. Yes the people were a few feet from you head and there was no privacy unless you were sitting under the slight overhang by the cabin door. At the railing, there was no privacy. There is a door right our to the deck by the cabin door as well as one that went a few feet that went to the main corridor. We thought that would be a problem, but no one seemed to use it except us, so that was OK.

I know this affected our cabin but, did not appear to happened to the cabins farther down, just the 2 or 3 cabins on the end.

This is good to hear since we are booked on the Breeze in cabin 12019!!

This is good to hear since we are booked on the Breeze in cabin 12019!!

With 12037 being at the aft end of the forward cabins and an open deck above and a stairwell right beside it, I can see water drainage being a problem. Also somewhat close to the water slide entrance. For 12019 on the breeze, being in the middle, and under treatment rooms, you may only ahve water issues on the balcony if it rains or if they're cleaning the balconies. Depends on where the drain holes are and how wet it gets. On the Dream, in 11209-twice, we always seemd to have some water along the railing in the morning.

With 12037 being at the aft end of the forward cabins and an open deck above and a stairwell right beside it, I can see water drainage being a problem. Also somewhat close to the water slide entrance. For 12019 on the breeze, being in the middle, and under treatment rooms, you may only ahve water issues on the balcony if it rains or if they're cleaning the balconies. Depends on where the drain holes are and how wet it gets. On the Dream, in 11209-twice, we always seemd to have some water along the railing in the morning.

Water issues, I can handle that!! I just love that fact that its a Cloud 9 Spa cablin!!!! For the price what we paid versus a regular balcony when we booked it was kinda a steal!

Water issues, I can handle that!! I just love that fact that its a Cloud 9 Spa cablin!!!! For the price what we paid versus a regular balcony when we booked it was kinda a steal!

We also had steal of a price over the Balcony cabins and we are on Deck 11 with a Spa cabin. Do i assume that our cabins on deck 11 are fully covered by the balconies above?

Nice Dan...Thanks for cruising the Breeze, so we don't have to (but will anyway:D). But seriously, mall food court? Not very enticing to the taste buds.

BTW, I'm assuming the erstwhile pier running couple were the ones JH mentioned in his blog as being late from Rome and having to overnight then train to Salerno. Well, sure hope they're enjoying themselves. Gonna look for their negative reviews on Carnival treatment of late guests coming soon to this site.

Some mall court food is pretty tasty! I've been digging Tandoor, Breeze's Indian comfort food spot (nice vat of achar for the pickle lovers).

Somehow the "Tylers" managed to make it each time. Lucky for them, we've had a little leeway.

We also had steal of a price over the Balcony cabins and we are on Deck 11 with a Spa cabin. Do i assume that our cabins on deck 11 are fully covered by the balconies above?

Ooh Possibly ,I don' think the ones on deck 12 are fully covered but does'nt matter to me, the serenity deck is right above ..look and see if you can find any reviews on the Magic with that deck....Eh , I look at it this way, I HAVE A CLOUD 9 BALCONY CABIN WOOOOHOOOOOO!!!! And they are gorgeous, although all the new cabin decor is gorgoeus!! Whenever I got home and the hubby tells me " yeah think we're gonna book a Spa Cabin".. I did'nt even bat an eyelash!!!! Hook me up !!! LOL

Okay - this is going to sound dumb but could you grab a couple of pictures (if you remember) of the wheelchair accessible companion bathrooms? They are located with the regular bathrooms in several areas and would just like to get an idea of their size.

thanks.

Is this what you're talking about -- forgive me, but I'm not familiar with the term "companion" bathrooms. That person in the mirror is seriously creepy. The waterfall panel behind the toilet is a nice touch, too. Makes me think of -- never mind.

carnival-breeze-accessible-bathroom.jpg

Can you see if the Red Frog Rum Bar Tervis glasses are available, and if so what do they cost. I have asked in another thread, but don't think this info has been confirmed yet.

Photos in this post:

http://messages.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=33685012&postcount=13

Cheers,

Duane-O

The Blue Iguana Tervis equivalent was $12.95 (oddly, the cup was $9.95 + $3 for the lid), but I'll double check on the RedFrog version this evening. Here's a group shot of most of the new novelty cups. That tiki head Maori thing ($9.95) always brings a physiologically impossible infinity-shaped smile to my face. Was told that the cups are 16 ounces, but once you buy one you get 16-ounce concoctions for the price of the 12-ounce versions.

carnival-breeze-novelty-cup-offerings.jpg

The Blue Iguana Tervis equivalent was $12.95 (oddly, the cup was $9.95 + $3 for the lid), but I'll double check on the RedFrog version this evening. Here's a group shot of most of the new novelty cups. That tiki head Maori thing ($9.95) always brings a physiologically impossible infinity-shaped smile to my face. Was told that the cups are 16 ounces, but once you buy one you get 16-ounce concoctions for the price of the 12-ounce versions.

Really, I like that !!! I can tell I'll be getting some new "Barware" on our cruise On the Breeze!! Every time someone came by with a new cup , whether it was a coconut or a blowfish the whaletail, I got one!! Well you know had the 8 yr old with me and she had that look on her face and said " But mama, that would make a good piggy bank"!! So I gave in quite a few times!!! Thats a pretty expensive piggy bank!!

Some mall court food is pretty tasty! I've been digging Tandoor, Breeze's Indian comfort food spot (nice vat of achar for the pickle lovers).

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I'm so glad they still have the Tandoori bar! On the Dream it was a separate area near the aft pool. We ate at least some of every lunch there. I'd love a photo.

We'll be on the Transatlantic crossing leaving Barcelona on November 6th!

When you say spare sockets, does this mean the TV can't be in use whilst you use them?? Looks like the TV needs both sockets????

You are correct. One of the plugs powers the TV, one the interactive satellite component.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I'm so glad they still have the Tandoori bar! On the Dream it was a separate area near the aft pool. We ate at least some of every lunch there. I'd love a photo.

We'll be on the Transatlantic crossing leaving Barcelona on November 6th!

Here's a skewer shot. Don't have anything else at the moment.

carniaval-breeze-tandoor-restaurant.jpg

Thats not a bad price for the Tervis cups, I was expecting them to be a bit more.

Archived