TEA making onboard Rydam

Evertonian64

Sorry if this is obvious but only second cruise. My wife likes Earl Grey tea only and wants may cups of it? There does not seem to be any facilities in the caabin. We were thinking of taking our own travel kettle and teabags and making our own. I don't think this will be a problem but would be grateful for confirmation. We plan to purchase fresh milk and keep it in fridge.

Sorry if this is obvious but only second cruise. My wife likes Earl Grey tea only and wants may cups of it? There does not seem to be any facilities in the caabin. We were thinking of taking our own travel kettle and teabags and making our own. I don't think this will be a problem but would be grateful for confirmation. We plan to purchase fresh milk and keep it in fridge.

Don't believe tea kettle will be permitted. Why not just pack the tea bags. You can make your tea in the Lido (lots of hot water) and if you want tea in the MDR, just ask for the hot water and tea pot and add your own tea bag;)

No you can't use an electric kettle (or any other kind) in your cabin - fire danger. The ships take fire danger very seriously.

Tea, including Earl Grey, is always available in the Lido.

You might bring a small teapot and make it up 2-3 bags at a time then take the pot back to your cabin.

Is she fussy about the brand of Earl Grey? HAL's teabags are Bigelow. I can't vouch for their Earl Grey because it's a flavor I don't drink, but I know it's one of the choices in the box.

Definitely go to the Lido for tea. Room service tends to give you tea bags and a thermos jug of hot water, which isn't as hot as a tea conoisseur likes it. The hot water in the Lido is very hot. Also, she can ask for a pot of tea in the MDR. If the waiter doesn't put the tea bag into the pot, she can ask him to do so in the future. Our waiter on our last cruise always put the tea bag in the pot for me instead of putting it on the side.

I have seen people ask for the tea pots with hot water in it in the Lido that they can take back to the cabins.

That way you can pick up as many tea bags as you need and make your own tea that way.

Notice that you mentioned that you will be on the Ryndam. Do have a balcony/verandah cabin? Those are the only cabins that have a mini refrigerator in them.

I agree you can find Earl Grey in the Lido, but it's Bigelow. I bring my own. I also bring my own Raspberry tea as they don't have that. If I want to make it in my cabin, I take my insulated travel mug up and fill it with hot water, bring it back to my cabin along with a cup and enjoy a quiet cuppa while DH takes a nap. It's my way of recharging in the middle of the day.

I was on the Ryndam in Feb. I asked for tea in the MDR after dinner. They served it in a cup not a pot. I asked for a pot. The waiter said they didn't have any. Maybe, the lido might have a few but I doubt it. So, don't count on them having the little white tea pots. You could bring something insulated to make tea in and bring back to the room. Only get tea water from the dedicated machine in the lido. Don't get hot water from a carafe. It will taste like coffee. You might encounter a carafe during a meet and greet.

I was on the Ryndam in Feb. I asked for tea in the MDR after dinner. They served it in a cup not a pot. I asked for a pot. The waiter said they didn't have any. Maybe, the lido might have a few but I doubt it. So, don't count on them having the little white tea pots. You could bring something insulated to make tea in and bring back to the room. Only get tea water from the dedicated machine in the lido. Don't get hot water from a carafe. It will taste like coffee. You might encounter a carafe during a meet and greet.

Wow, I'm surprised you couldn't get a pot of tea in the MDR after dinner! I've had no trouble with that on Veendam, Massdam, or Zuiderdam. After two nights having trouble sleeping on Veendam, I realized that HAL waiters and/or kitchen staff have trouble separating decaf from high-test coffee. I switched to tea after that and always ask for their house Darjeeling.

Sounds like your waiter was too lazy to go get one.

You're right about the carafe. I've had that happen with hotel room service. You can't make a decent cuppa with water that tastes of coffee. (insert puking face here)

HAL doesn't have little white tea pots. The ones that they use are metal - silver. If you require a white ceramic tea pot you'll need to bring your own.

Hmm, now I am confused. I KNOW I got a pot of tea. I assumed it was china, but it may very well have been the metal kind. (October was a long time ago.) As long as the water is hot and the tea bag is in it when the pot arrives, I'm OK with the metal pots. Although I have to say, the china ones they use on Cunard are really nice. Sadly, I couldn't figure a way to sneak one out of the dining room in my evening bag. :cool:

Bigelow Earl Grey is always available...caffeinated...decaf is scarce on the ships. So I bring my own decaf Earl Grey...along with ginger tea...to enjoy. I've always been served the hot water in a silver pot. And you can do as everyone says and get the hot water in the Lido...or even order a pot of hot water from Room Service.

Hmm, now I am confused. I KNOW I got a pot of tea. I assumed it was china, but it may very well have been the metal kind.
I've had many a pot of tea over the years and they've been the silver ones. The handle on the metal is a bit too hot for my fingers. I remember exactly what they look like. ;). I've never had a waiter tell me they don't have tea pots. A number of other things, yes. But never tea pots.

thanks to everyone. A little disappointed but nothing we can't get round thanks to your advice.

The main dining room of the Ryndam has a kettle:D

On our trip in December,the waiter,when asked, poured boiling water onto my tea bag all be it in a cup, but the result was wonderful. Can't bear the "Hot water" just poured in cup with bag on the side..He or his assistant did this every night after dinner; I thought this was new but he replied that it was always so if people actually asked for boiling water. We were at the fixed late seating which may have made a difference as it was a bit time consuming for them. I always take my own tea bags; don't really care for Bigelow bags.

Archived