Good quality INEXPENSIVE camera?

I aleady know that you get what you pay for....but.....I don't want to take my big expensive camera on my cruise and have something happen to it. I'd like something small, portable with decent quality but I don't want to spend an arm and a leg. Any suggestions?

I aleady know that you get what you pay for....but.....I don't want to take my big expensive camera on my cruise and have something happen to it. I'd like something small, portable with decent quality but I don't want to spend an arm and a leg. Any suggestions?

You might look at the Panasonic cameras.

Out of curiosity, why do you own a nice camera that you don't use? There are myriad photo opportunities on a cruise and if you enjoy photography, using the tools you have become proficient with will enhance the fun.

I travel with both the DSLR and the P&S"Dinner Camera" for when the main camera is too cumbersome or just isn't needed (dinner time?)

Sometimes the best camera for all occasions is two (or three!) cameras.

Amazon has a range of great little P&Ss including the Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W690 and the Canon PowerShot ELPH 300 HS, Both well under $200.

Enjoy your trip (and take your good camera out for a spin!):D

Dave

You might look at the Panasonic cameras.

I agree with Dave, use your good camera, insure it and no worries. We have not ever had something happen to any of ours on a cruise, but if we do, all we lose is that photos taken that day since we download them every night.

Also agree with the panasonic cameras. The Lumix are good ones. Having a small P&S is nice for some situation. :)

I had a similar mind set up until a while ago - I worried about damaging the new camera and had thought about leaving it at home and taking something else to the beach. I'll claim temporary insanity on that, came to the realization that I have this gear to shot with so what the heck was I thinking. I have it to use, not to leave it on a shelf. I also found that buying a small bag that would fit the body with a lens and one spare lens made it quite manageable while on a trip. I still tend to bring 4-5 lenses with me in a larger bag but then decide on 2 to carry when leaving the ship based on what I'm most likely to encounter during the day.

I don't want to bring my expensive camera for a couple reasons. We're going on a Disney cruise with two small kids who are very active and I'm an active parent who doesn't want to miss the cruise behind my camera. I want to keep my hands relatively free to carry and hold "kids stuff" and not be afaid to put something down and jump in the pool with them. Also I'd rather bring a simpler to use camera so I can hand it off to my husband to use as well. All of our excursions are active excursions as opposed to sight seeing excursions. If this were just a cruise for myself and my husband I would certainly take my expensive camera. Thanks for all the advise...it'll be a tough decision.

I don't want to bring my expensive camera for a couple reasons. We're going on a Disney cruise with two small kids who are very active and I'm an active parent who doesn't want to miss the cruise behind my camera. I want to keep my hands relatively free to carry and hold "kids stuff" and not be afaid to put something down and jump in the pool with them. Also I'd rather bring a simpler to use camera so I can hand it off to my husband to use as well. All of our excursions are active excursions as opposed to sight seeing excursions. If this were just a cruise for myself and my husband I would certainly take my expensive camera. Thanks for all the advise...it'll be a tough decision.

Well, if you were going to offer an excuse, you couldn't pick a better one.

I love my kids, but I give thanks every day that they are finally self-sufficient!

You may want to up your budget and get a waterproof P&S. The Canon D10 is great in and out of water and the price has dropped since the new D20 was released.

Enjoy your trip!

Dave

Canon S100 is my P&S and it does camera raw if desired. It costs ~ $360 and I bought it after reading lots of reviews.

Since I don't have accompanying youngsters in my room, I travel with two DSLRs: Olympus E5 with normal lens and an older E500 with super telephoto w/monopod attached. You never know when a great long distance shot may appear so the telephoto lens camera has a reserved balcony chair.

As for cell phone cameras, when you turn it ON to take a picture, the phone automatically connects to the nearest cell tower to update itself. This hourly, few-second connection outside of US territories could cost you $7.00 at the cruise ship rate.

Take lots of images. Display only the ones that confirm you are a Pro.

As for cell phone cameras, when you turn it ON to take a picture, the phone automatically connects to the nearest cell tower to update itself. This hourly, few-second connection outside of US territories could cost you $7.00 at the cruise ship rate.

Airplane mode turns a smartphone into a camera/photo sharing tool.

Not ideal, but works in a pinch.

Dave

Archived