Recent upsells?

azseas

I read in the recent past that Princess was experimenting with last minute upsell offers. Has anyone had one recently? Just curious -- our cruise is sold out except for all of those PH suites that people do not seem to like. Wondering if they will upsell them.

Upsells to full suites were offered on the recent Crown Princess Transatlantic cruise. The email stated they were available only to customers in AA-AE minisuites. There was a variety of suites - VS, PS and PH. They were offered at $699/person for a 14 day cruise. Most of the aft suites sold while some of the less desirable (from my point of view) suites (ie, the forward PS ones or the PH suites on Lido under the pool deck) didn't sell and I believe some were given away after as free upgrades.

Upsells to full suites were offered on the recent Crown Princess Transatlantic cruise. The email stated they were available only to customers in AA-AE minisuites. There was a variety of suites - VS, PS and PH. They were offered at $699/person for a 14 day cruise. Most of the aft suites sold while some of the less desirable (from my point of view) suites (ie, the forward PS ones or the PH suites on Lido under the pool deck) didn't sell and I believe some were given away after as free upgrades.

This does not appear to be a sound business transaction on Princess' part. If the set price is an additional $699pp then whatever booking is held by the purchaser should be of no concern. I can understand offering them to AA-AE first, but thereafter open up the remainder for sale or loose that potential revenue.

This does not appear to be a sound business transaction on Princess' part. If the set price is an additional $699pp then whatever booking is held by the purchaser should be of no concern. I can understand offering them to AA-AE first, but thereafter open up the remainder for sale or loose that potential revenue.

To open it up to balcony purchasers would probably mean a significantly higher upsell price.

I suspect the feeling is that some one who did not want to pay the differential price of a mini-suite when they booked would be unlikely to pay the even greater cost of an upsell to a full suite.

It is not because it is a cruise tour but because of the tendency of cruise tours to sell out. Upsells, special sales, flash fares, etc. are only offered when there is a need to move the inventory; cruise tours rarely fall into that category. If there ever were a cruise tour that did not meet sales expectations, yes, they would offer up sells and special pricing in order to sell it.

To open it up to balcony purchasers would probably mean a significantly higher upsell price.

I suspect the feeling is that some one who did not want to pay the differential price of a mini-suite when they booked would be unlikely to pay the even greater cost of an upsell to a full suite.

Regardless of the amount any passenger paid for their accommodation, Princess values the "upgrade" at an additional $699 pp. They are selling vacancies. I find no attraction to a mini suite and much prefer a balcony but I would gladly pay a last minute differential for a suite. I only need be asked.

If you move people out of a mini-suite, you then have a more

expensive cabin available to sell.

If think it's silly to suggest that Princess hasn't modeled the

revenue to maximize their results.

Archived