port of miami

cutiepiefred

It could be doable, if there's another flight to go standby, in case you miss it! It's about a 40 min drive from Miami to Ft. Laud....with rush hour traffic! You could make it easily from Port Everglades....Miami is a bit far!

would a flight out of fort Lauderdale at 1020 be too early for a cruise that docks in port of Miami? We are on the pearl in november

You would really be pushing it. The ships usually dock before first light and are usually cleared for debarkation before 7:30am. You would want to take your luggage off with you (not leave it out the night before) so you could go right through customs and to the cab line. Best case scenario you're through customs by 8 and at FLL by 8:45 or 9:00. HOWEVER, everything needs to align to make that happen. Arrival delays, delays with customs clearing the ship, slow lines at customs, traffic getting out of the port, traffic on I95, etc.

Personally, I don't want to end my relaxing cruise with a stressful scramble for a flight.

would a flight out of fort Lauderdale at 1020 be too early for a cruise that docks in port of Miami? We are on the pearl in november

Absolutely too early. It took us at least 30 minutes if not more to get from POM to FLL Airport. I would think that travel insurance would not cover you if you missed the flight because you have not given yourself sufficient time. The ship arriving a little late or a back up at security at the port or at the airport would cause you to miss your flight.

After our New Years cruise we are staying over night in Miami Beach because the flights were $250 cheaper for each of the 4 of us and we could get a direct flight instead of having to take one that connects. We booked a rewards night at a beach hotel and a late flight home the next day and figured we would just extend our vacation a little.

yeah I dont want that either. i guess we will just go for the later more expensive flight. if only I could convince my hubby fly out monday and save us money lol

My DW convninced me to fly home a day later... A final day staying overnight in South Beach was not much of a hard sale either.

Miami flights are usually much more expensive! You'd be safer with a later flight, hang around until the evening for the evening cheaper flights if you must. Don't push the drive, traffic and getting through security.

Have you tried Miami? I know they are USUALLY more expensive but that is not always the case. Our last cruise in April flying American out of MIA was $100 cheaper pp than Southwest out of FLL. Add in cheaper cab fares and even with paying bag fees it was a no brainer.

To answer your question I wouldn't do it too early for me. We had an 11:30 out of FLL that I felt was fine. I will say that the experience of FLL is way way WAY better than MIA in my opinion anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We ran into this same situation. Out sailing is on labor day so flights down on Friday or Saturday were way too expensive. We are flying down early Sunday to fort lauderdale, taking the train to Miami international airport and staying at the airport residence inn with their pre cruise package for free transfer to the port.

On the back end we dock on Friday morning and fly out Saturday night again from fort lauderdale. We will rent a car and spend the time exploring.

Miami flights are usually much more expensive! You'd be safer with a later flight, hang around until the evening for the evening cheaper flights if you must. Don't push the drive, traffic and getting through security.

You could try and use the ships luggage program that will take your luggage and you don't see it until you arrive back at your home airport. This didn't work for us so we taxied to MIA and used the baggage storage and took the express bus to South Beach for the day. I know that you are looking to fly out of FLL but this is another option.

We are going with an 11AM from FLL. I agree with all the comments and was resigned to a later flight but SAS actually said they would have the first van leaving by 8 which should mean an 8:45 arrival or 9:00 latest.

We have the SWA status so we can get through security faster.

Also since this is a Friday flight I would think we miss the Saturday cruise crunch.

I always plan later flights and invariably have been at FLL many hours early even during our last cruise when 95 was completely closed due to a wreck. FLL not exactly a 'fun' ie.things to do airport. Anyway, will see how it goes.

We sailed on the Pearl on March, flew out of FLL. We didn't have to catch a flight a FLL the same day, but would have been able to. SAS picked us up at the terminal by 7:30 am and dropped passenger off at FLL before dropping us off at our hotel on Fort Lauderdale.

We chose to walk off of the ship. We were almost the first ones off and getting through customs was a breeze. It's doable, but you've got to trust that the Pearl will be docked before sunrise.

Archived