a skittledeedoo review for you, Miracle 5/30-6/7

mamaskittles

Sorry for the look of the above post I have no clue what I did to cause the color issue but I hope it does not happen again. I'm getting 70's flashbacks. lol.

Loving your review and humor! And I love the 70's flashbacks reference. Reminded me of highschool when we changed pen colors when writting notes. Blue/black/red/green whatever different color of pens we had would be used in the same note. lol

I think they have taken PC a bit too far. My sister and I cruise together a lot and we are always asked if our partner would like something. We have contemplated getting tshirts that say we are SISTERS. lol

If you have seen RENT that doesn't mean anything!

"Hey mister! She's my sister!"

(later)

"Sisters?"

"We're close."

Loving your review and humor! And I love the 70's flashbacks reference. Reminded me of highschool when we changed pen colors when writting notes. Blue/black/red/green whatever different color of pens we had would be used in the same note. lol

Oh yeah yeah that's right that's what I was referring to ...pens, nothing illicit not me .:o lol.

I have never, ever subscribed to a thread on this site. Until yours. I am absolutely enjoying every post you are making, and, as a person with an English lit degree, really appreciate your humor and writing style! Thank you so very much for an entertaining, informative review. I look forward to reading the rest!

How do you "subscribe" to a thread? And I'm assuming that it means you get updates as they are posted, or am I wrong?

Thank you all so very much for your kind words. I promise you all that I have been reporting is true. :eek:

As LizaMM, one of our CC cruisemates will attest to, DS and I kept everyone we met abreast of our cabin and couples traumas. These are things no one can make up. But you know cruising is a blast and if you let the schmutz, the towels, the ice, the bed or anything really bother you you just wasted not only a few thousand dollars, but much more importantly a week of your life.

I am a chronic complainer, but only because complaining allows my sarcasm gene to run it's fool head off. Anytime I am kvetching it's always for the fun of it. If something truly upset me I am old enough, smart enough, and certainly tough enough to be proactive and do something about the problem.

So that is todays lesson kiddies ...kvetch for fun, but if it is a real problem keep your mouth shut and take positive action to effect change!

Now on to the review....

How do you "subscribe" to a thread? And I'm assuming that it means you get updates as they are posted, or am I wrong?

You can subscribe to a thread by clicking on thread tools on the top of the thread then choose subscribe to thread and then yes when it asks you to confirm.

I believe that if you post to a thread you are automatically subscribed - someone can correct me if I am wrong....that is how it works for me and may have been part of my initial set-up??

To check when you log-on....click on "Quick Links" on the tan bar at the top. Under the "misc" section you will see "Subscribed threads", click on that and all the threads you have psted to/subscribed to will be listed. Those that have new postings in them will be in bold. Click on it and then SHow First Unread and it will jump to the next post since you last logged off.

There is an option to get emails every time there is a new post as well but I don't have mine set for that.

HOPE that makes sense :eek:

Thank you all so very much for your kind words. I promise you all that I have been reporting is true. :eek:

As LizaMM, one of our CC cruisemates will attest to, DS and I kept everyone we met abreast of our cabin and couples traumas. These are things no one can make up. But you know cruising is a blast and if you let the schmutz, the towels, the ice, the bed or anything really bother you you just wasted not only a few thousand dollars, but much more importantly a week of your life.

I am a chronic complainer, but only because complaining allows my sarcasm gene to run it's fool head off. Anytime I am kvetching it's always for the fun of it. If something truly upset me I am old enough, smart enough, and certainly tough enough to be proactive and do something about the problem.

So that is todays lesson kiddies ...kvetch for fun, but if it is a real problem keep your mouth shut and take positive action to effect change!

Now on to the review....

Yup.......What she said ;)......It's all true

ELEGANZA EXTRAVAGANZA

This is formal night, oh no wait a minute it is no longer formal it is now elegant. I was a little confused at the difference. I read somewhere on CC that CCL decided that elegant is less stuffy than formal.

I don't really see the difference. The vast majarity of people I happened to notice all cruise long were dressed fine.

I fully expected to see gowns, dresses, suits, a tux or two, some sport coats with and without ties and ok some shorts and tees. All strolling in to the dining room sweaty in anticipation of the lobsterette and the prime riblet.

But before we get to the dining room we must re-visit ...

CABIN FEVER REDUX

His royal highness and I went back to the cabin to get ready to meet our new tablemates and perhaps take a photo or two since it was his first formal night on his first cruise.

There were still two non-working remotes and not a blue towel in sight. The schmutz, which we named Moe, Larry, Curly, and the kids, were still lying about lazily. No ice in sight.

DS was thinking about getting annoyed but I told him not to ruin the lovely buzzing in his head. I figured we were going to dinner shortly and they will be in to do turn down, and more than likely will address the issues while we are at dinner.

I can be so naive.

Since DS had been wandering the deck looking for, and apparently finding, a party or nine, he decided to grab a quick nap while I showered.

I realized when I stepped into the bathroom that the towels from the morning that I re-tossed on the floor were still there. I took a deep breath and got in the shower washed up and used the itsy bitsy hand towel to dry all of my lovelyness. It took a while. Finally I am done and I try desperately to squish my damp self into the carnival terry robe thinking that will dry me better. Just then the knock at the door comes.

It's "STEWART"

He is standing there with a handful of towels, a bucket of ice and a remote.

Oh yeah his scowl is Vesuvian.

It is now 5:00ish on elegant night. We have scheduled seating at 6.

I was peeking from behind the door, I had the bathroom door and the closet door both open to make a private dressing area so as not to disturb sleeping beauty ( come to find out he was on the balcony napping)

I tried to explain I needed the stuff but he couldn't come in.

I couldn't let go of the robe cos well, cos you know why, and STEWART was so angry and intent on meeting my demands he sort of wedged his way into the room.

I know I could have shut the door in his face and yelled or gotten nasty but I really wanted those towels and the ice.

I was positive there was no turn down for us that evening and if I sent him away I would have to dry off tomorrows shower with a washcloth.

So I skittered away as he put the towels in a heap in the bathroom, replaced the ice bucket, and demanded to prove that both of the old remotes worked ( they didn't). He then pointed to the empty ice bucket and said " I brought ice." I told him noooo that was water that melted from the ice that I brought the night before.

He harrrumphed and told me in his best haughty voice that the next time I needed "special requests" to leave a note. I backed up to the counter where I picked up that mornings note and handed it over my shoulder to him. I said thank you and he left.

I dressed quickly and let Sonny Boy in to get ready for his formal unveiling.

He found the towels, and I told him an edited version of the visit from STEWART.

One of the good things about elegant night is that DS didn't have to put on a runway event to decide what to wear. So I thought. I did not realize he had packed at least a dozen ties and matching dress shirts. There has to be at least 9,653 different combinations that can be made with 12 shirts and ties.

Finally after I threatened to kill him and throw his half dressed body overboard he chose an " outfit". I swear I have the only 35 year old man son who still wears "outfits".

We are pressed, dressed, coiffed, and perfumed, ready for our close-ups Mr. Demille.

SAY CHEESE

All the major cruiselines are making a killing with the photo bonanza on board. The photos are not a bad souvenir. I mean for $22 you can get a decent quality family protrait suitable for framing. Or you can have tons on fun on sea days looking for yourself and finding the most horrific pictures taken since the alien autopsy in Roswell.

Mine usually fall into the latter catagory, but I still end up standing for one or two. I only take a pic when I am with a person I have not cruised with beofre. I mean since DD and I have been on umteen cruises together we do not need another posed Mom and Daughter moment. DS and I have no pictures together. To hear him tell it since he is the middle child there are no pictures of him prior to the age of 10. He swears we just keep showing him blurry pictures of his brother and sister and telling him that they are his baby pics. ( We are ).

Since we actually amnaged to get out of the cabin with 20 minutes to spare Ds decided to take apic now rather than after dinner like I suggested. He felt he might eat to much and the subsequent tummy would bulge and ruin his "line" . I don't know.

we wandered around looking for a neutral backdrop without a line.

Finally we spotted the tree stub with the flower, fairly neutral and better yet no line.

We stepped up and the photographer started posing us. He had us get tighter and tighter, and had DS lean in closer and closer till the 4th shot when Sonny stepped over and said SHE"S MY MOTHER!!!!.

The people now on liine were hysterical. The photographer was apopoleptic in his apologies. He posed us back to back afterwards. I was laughing so hard the mother son pictures were ruined.

As we exit my son's newest area of mordification a woman on line nearby said " I was thinking, wow, good for her" when I saw you two. Now it makes more sense, ( she did say I looked very young, what a nice lady).

You know at first I was really confused, I mean you saw pics of DS and he is not a bag of rocks, He's a nice looking man and I couldn't figure out why anyone thought he couldn't do better than me even if he was into cougars. They do come in smaller, youger versions,than me. Then I realized many people were not wondering how did she get him, they were thinking she must have more money than Bill Gates.

Next up Guess who's coming to Dinner

GUESS WHO'S COMING TO DINNER

The asst. maitre'd seated us at our new six top and we were the first to arrive at our table. I had been to The Bacchus Dining room and DS saw it during the "where do you want to sit" game the day before. That still does not take away from the effect on a new cruisers first night eating in the arbor.

DS was very amused at the theme but agreed with me, although over the top and certainly gaudy glitz, it is fun.

I think The Farcus design vibe fit the product at the time. I love pink flamingos and shabby chic. Gum ball machines, stained glass, and old tin cans make me smile so I am not the one to find fault with this decor.

One of the asst. wait staff came over and noticed th camera on the table and offered to take our picture while we waited for our table mates. we said sure.

She aimed and said... closer, closer ...DS snarled, MY MOTHER HERE!!!!

The asst. said "I know, I needed to fit you both in." That was the best start to a week of wonderful dining experiences that I will think back on and enjoy for years to come.

This is the only pic of me I am willing to post. They discourage public pic posting in the WPP.

232323232%7Ffp%3B7%3B%3Enu%3D32%3B6%3E24%3B%3E954%3EWSNRCG%3D3562357662335nu0mrj

As you can see DS is still a little shaken by the closer, closer instructions.

After 5-10 minutes Another couple arrived. THey introduced themselves and before I could open my mouth DS informed them of our relationship. In very strong terms.

They actually live about an hour south of me in NJ. They are super nice and fun. We spent more than one evening enjoying their company.

The other couple made it to table and DS repeated his introductions that brooked no confusion as to our relationship.

I really wanted to hide my face behind my hand and whisper "he is lying" but I couldn't do it to him.

Everyone at our table opted for the surf and turf. That is a lobsterette and a prime riblet. I really do not remember the appys. They were fine I am sure.

I could go into the food here and describe every morsal, but I think unless I thought it was so bad I am afraid one of you may choke to death before you could spit it out, or it was so delicious I still think of it while brushing my hair, there is little reason to blah blah anyone to death with what amounts to one food snobs opinion.

I will talk about this meal though. I mean it is elegant night and all, and DS got all gussied up. Soooo. The lobsterette was fine. Small but quite tender, a little salty, but not overly so. The riblet was great for what it was. Mine was very fatty and gristley but every other one at the table was perfect. I could have sent it back and they would have gladly replaced it but I was fairly full and there was no reason to delay an very long dinner for what amounted to a slightly thicker piece of roast beef.

I think the new system whatever it is makes things harder for the service staff. This meal is one where the servers bring out different sauces for the main course. Au jus, and horse radish for the meat and butter for the lobster. We waited a long while for the sauces and our lukewarm food was getting cooler by the second so we all started to eat. Finally they brought the goodies. I love the beef with the horsradish and au jus it is one of the things Carnival gets right every time.

One thing though, I don't know if it was DS and I causing havoc in the universe but our table was always the last to leave the dining room. No matter when we arrived, when we were served, we left last.

I assume it was because we all were enjoying ourselves we lost track of time.

Finally dinner was over and it was time to plan the evenings festivities.

We said goodnight to our tablemates and DS wanted to go out on deck for a cigarette. There is a smoking area on deck 3 starboard side so we headed there I took a few pics of Mr. GQ while we were enjoying the view.

232323232%7Ffp%3B76%3Enu%3D32%3B6%3E24%3B%3E954%3EWSNRCG%3D356235%3A3%3C3335nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp%3B82%3Enu%3D32%3B6%3E24%3B%3E954%3EWSNRCG%3D35623596%3C8335nu0mrj

Next up... No body puts Baby in the corner, and towel pigs anyone?

NOBODY PUTS BABY IN THE CORNER.. TOWEL PIGS ANYONE?

Since it was only 8:00 there were few choices as to what to do. I am sure there was music somewhere, or karaoke or something but I can't remember what. I do know DS was going on and on about whether or not he should change out of his suit for the "dancing" he somehow envisioned in his future. I was of no opinion because by now I had figured outhe isn't listening to a word I say. So no matter his decision of the moment I agreed to it. The converstion went something like this...

"I think I will keep the suit on." "Good idea" I said.

" You know I should probably change. " "Why don't you " says I.

" I really like this shirt and tie, maybe I just take off the jacket " " sounds about right " I reply.

"I want to fit in with everyone so I will stay dressed." "Okee Dokee" I answered.

" I really don't want to stick out so I need to change"" Fine by me" I counter.

"What do you think Mom? " " That's a plan" I mumble.

At this point DS stops and glares at me, "Thanks Mom" " You know I have never done a cruise, and I just don't want to go the club and end up sitting in the corner all night"

I knew I was busted but all I could see was Jennifer Grey huddled in the corner waiting for Patrick Swayze to come and swoop her off her feet.

Fighting down my hysteria I assured DS that no matter his wardrobe HE would never be stuck in a corner.

I think we stopped into Karaoke in Madhatters with Chris K, who I am also in love with. I mean not as much as Vlad but a very close second.

He runs a very good Karaoke. The quips are funny without being unkind. If you are an aficonado of cruise ship karaoke this is a fine line not all hosts know how not to cross. He is very good at what he does. I praised him up and down on my review e-mail I hope everyone does.

There were very few people at this segment, probably because it ended very early for the comedy shows to start.

DS finally decided he needed to go back to the cabin to order a bottle of rum from room service and change into his third or fourth costume of the day.

I chose to go to the Ticket to Ride show. This is a tribute to the Beatles that is done by the Carnival Miracle singers and dancers. I saw this show in 2007 and I figured it didn't change but DS wanted to see it. He majored in musical theater in college and loves all things even slightly Broadway related.

I told him I was going to a lounge somewhere and have a froufrou drink or two and I would meet him in the balcony at the show.

After two or three BBC's I made my way to the Phantom Theater and proceded to hog a seat for DS. Yeah ...that's right I hogged one seat in the theater. I was a mess. All I kept thinking is what a rotten person I was. How could I hog a seat at one of the most popular shows during the whole cruise. What if someone misses the show because of my selfishness and greed.

Not one person approached me and asked for the seat.

Finally after what seemed like two hours ( was only 15 minutes or so ) DS shows up. I asked what took so long and he said he waited for the rum so he could make a drink. I said " oh that means they brought ice. " " no" he replied the room looked the same as when we left for dinner. He got ice from the Lido.

He hasdchanged into his Rico Suave linen look , for the dancing later I assume.

We settled in to enjoy a magical mystery tour.

An hour and fifteen minutes later, I woke up when DS poked me because my snoring was annoying the neighbors. The dancers were running amuck and handing out glow sticks. Eveyone was standing and waving their glow sticks, I thought I was having another flashback.

The show ends and I asked DS what he thought. Now he is a broadway snob so his opinion was very jaded and he kept talking about dance steps and turns and other musical theater stuff that I had no clue about so I reverted to my "should I change " answers. This time it worked. He didn't care what I thought so it didn't matter what I answered.

After the so-so show for DS and the lovely nap for me went to late night comedy in the Madhatters. It was the same comedian from the night before but with a different set. We waited for Liza and Gregg but they got there late and didn't see us. The show was funny. Not side splitting but all in all very entertaining. I think this comedy club idea is a very good one Carnival is hitting a home run here. I don't think another mainstream line has this type of venue and comedy is always one of the best draws during a cruise. Like I mentioned earlier in the review they really need to re-think the drink service on this ship in this venue they are losig a bundle.

We went to the casino bar to meet up with a fellow CC'er for a drink or seven. I donated a few twenties and decided I was going back to the cabin to check if the beds had been turned down and if there was ice. DS decided to come along to grab a empty pepsi bottle full of rum to spike the bar drinks. says he.

CABIN FEVER SCHMEVER

We headed to the cabin. It was pretty late for me but DS was planning to go to the club and dance for a while, hence the rum. He now claimed he actually came with me just in case there was no ice he didn't want me to schlep up to the Lido again so he was going to get me ice for the night. Yeah sure it alll altruistic, he didn't really want the rum. Sure and towel pigs can fly .

All the way down the corridor we were like kids on Christmas morning. we had no idea what we would find behind the door. Was it a red ryder BB gun or a lump of coal.

Okay I was planning on leaving you here but I thought better of it. I mean that would be mean and we do have the omelet man to look forward to tomorrow so here goes.....

232323232%7Ffp%3B%3A2%3Enu%3D32%3B6%3E24%3B%3E954%3EWSNRCG%3D3562356888335nu0mrj

WE HAVE A TOWEL PIG WHOOPIE!!!!!!!

I know it's an elephant but you get the idea. DS is thrilled. The beds are turned down, there is a funtimes and two chocolates. The ice bucket is sweaty and full. The towels are new and fluffy. Moe, Larry,Curly and the kids are still there but hey ..

WE HAVE A TOWEL PIG.

DS is on his way to the party where ever it may be. And I am going to read my kindle and turn in. MY omelet man awaits.

Tomorrow, How is this serene? and Oh my man I love him so....

My mom, sis & I also get asked if we're sisters. It happens all the time.:rolleyes:

I truly believe they are trained to say this to make the mom feel good. It actually irritated my mom, too. We never get asked if we're sisters outside of cruising.

Mamaskittles, where did the towel pig thing come from? Just curious...I don't think I've ever had a towel pig in all my cruises! This review is great...can't wait for the next installment..

I am having such a great time reading your review.

However, the employees at my local McDonalds are seriously thinking of calling the men in white jackets because I am sitting alone laughing so loud. I think the man at the table next to me just moved because I frightened him. :p

Oh yeah yeah that's right that's what I was referring to ...pens, nothing illicit not me .:o lol.

haha! Would love to cruise with you!

By the way, I don't know why you don't post more pictures with you in them, you're very pretty!

I truly believe they are trained to say this to make the mom feel good. It actually irritated my mom, too. We never get asked if we're sisters outside of cruising.

Mamaskittles, where did the towel pig thing come from? Just curious...I don't think I've ever had a towel pig in all my cruises! This review is great...can't wait for the next installment..

They probably are told to say something like that,but when it is Mom and son, or Dad and daughter, I can't see who would appreciate the ? compliment?

the origin of "the towel pig" is somewhat a mystery to me also. DS told me his friend Richard is platinum on Carnival. Rich had been giving DS pointers as to what to expect on the cruise from a male perspective I guess. This made little sense to me as DS said Richard did not go to the ports and sat at a bar all day. He just went to meals and basically rested for a week.

DS was not into resting and was very interested in the ports.

Even so DS was stuck on everything Rich had reported. I mean I was told more than once . Rich knows...he IS platinum.

Hahaha DS cares more about platinum cruisers than CCL.

( sorry couldn't resist lol).

One of the main things Richard told DS to expect was a towel animal from the room steward every night.

I guess the towel animals are important to this guy???

My rum soaked spawn on the first night while listing things wrong in the cabin lamented "he didn't even get a towel pig" " Rich told me I was getting a towel pig every night" I know DS meant towel animal but I am not the type of mother that lets any slip of the tongue get past me.

Now I know in some of my narrative DS sounds perhaps a little mentally handicapable, he is not. He is actually one of the most intelligent people I know. This particular week his brain was floating in a rum bath so he comes off a little ....well less than, I.Q. wise in the conversations I relate. Keep in mind during these converstions I am rocking cross-legged because I am peeing at his unique take on things.

Well darling 2 year old is screaming for me to pay attention to he,r so I am leaving again be back tonight.

The is the best review I have ever read. I knew when I met you that you were a character but I had no idea the depth of it. I remember when you joined the roll call you said you were traveling with your son, but not in a Everybody Loves Raymond episode kind of way. Well truth be told, I think it ended up that way.

"She's my moth-er" is proof positive. I am looking forward to more.

To LizaMM - Regarding the link subscribe - it worked - thanks! And it was easy, even for me! You've been a wealth of answers for me as I count the days to my September cruise = thanks!!

And, I am loving this review too!

Archived