a skittledeedoo review for you, Miracle 5/30-6/7

mamaskittles

I'm enjoying your review very much! DH and I have a cruise booked for Nov on the Dream. We've not cruised for about 15 years and would love to treat my son and his wife to come along. My son said no :( because he feels like it would be too claustrobic, not being able to get off the ship whenever he feels like it. He did cruise when he was a child and liked it. Wish I could get him to change his mind but he is so stubborn.:confused:

Loving your review.

Your son is quite a looker, I must say.

And I must add that I share your (and his) pain of being mistaken for a couple...

except it's me and my dad, and has been happening since I was 15/16 (gross).

anyways, loving your review can't wait to read the rest!

What a wonderful start to your review! You are a very good writer, extremely humourous and you certainly leave your reader wanting to hear the next part of your story.

I agree with you on the wasabi mashed potatoes (need more wasabi), I love Tony Ray (he was on our Miracle cruise last August and was wonderful), and I agree with others - your son is quite the cutie!

Anxiously awaiting the next chapter......

Loving your review.

Your son is quite a looker, I must say.

And I must add that I share your (and his) pain of being mistaken for a couple...

except it's me and my dad, and has been happening since I was 15/16 (gross).

anyways, loving your review can't wait to read the rest!

For my Dad's 60th birthday I took him on the train from Chicago to LA. The servers on the last day indicated that they thought I was his wife - despite the fact that I am 26 years younger than he is. Gross!

Okay I'm baaacccckkk!!!!!

First thank you all for your kind comments. This was a great cruise despite the weirdnesses.

I would pass all your compliments on to DS but...I do not want to swell his already engorged cranium any further lol.

I will tell him of course.:)

Sorry for the delay but it is 100 million degrees here in the Garden state and I was babysitting the 2 year old grandaughter. Why are toddlers heat proof and cold proof ?

I mean you can take them to the playground in any weather and they just have themselves a time. At one point my little munchkin was rubbing my head and saying ohhhh gramma hot, gamma booboo. Which translates to "get up from the pavement you old fool and help me up the slide ladder."

But I digress

Back to the cruise.

SEA DAY ONE

This particular cruise has four full sea days and of course the half day on the front end.

I love sea days. Trivia, lying about with nothing to do, trivia, more lying about, maybe some trivia, a snack,trivia and finally a little lying about and trivia.

I mean if you are cruising to relax choose an itinerary with multiple back to back sea days. There is really not tons to do on board during the day but why would you want to be running amuck on a cruise ship at sea.

I don't have the answer but DS apparently did as we will see during the evenings festivities.

I had put the continental breakfast door hanger out the night before when I finally hit the sack at 2:30ish. DS was out carousing and I did not hear him come in. Unbeknownst to me he decided to edit my simple order of coffee with cream and sugar for two, to be delivered between 8 and 8:30 AM.

When the phone rings ( I slept through the knock at the door ) I peeled myself from the ceiling and stumbled around in my strange surroundings looking for the receiver, found it, thanked the room service lady, and waited for my first coffee on the balcony, AHHHH.

The knock comes, I answer the door and find a delivery man with two trays heaped with breakfast nomnoms and double the amount of coffee.

Of course I figured out what happened when I looked over at my darling rum soaked spawn and realized he drunk ordered, which is like drunk dialing but without the ex lover to piss off.

I tipped the man and proceded to wake the devil.

He thought about giving me an arguement until I explained hat he had better get up and at least attempt to eat the trays of food he ordered or I would put it in bed with him. Knowing by now that "STEWART" was not in to big a hurry to clean our cabin DS was concerned he might sleep with the fishes (lox) for a week, so he woke, washed up and joined me on the balcony for the first of many delightful cups of morning coffee.

I know I said this in another thread but the coffee this cruise (from room service and the MDR ) was really pretty good. I love coffee and was very pleasantly surprised.

After relaxing I showered first. Tiny shower, horrible bad shampoo this time. Not a bubble to be found. Carnival used to put pert plus in the dispenser. This time I think it was very diluted dawn dish soap, bleech. Unfortunately I did not pack shampoo expecting to use the pert so I borrowed DS's the rest of the cruise.

Relaxed a little more while DS showered. When he was done I told him I was heading for breakfast on the Lido. Normally I eat in the MDR but since they changed it to a brunch I decided to wait till the next morning to experiment. I could not wait for DS because he hadn't decided what to wear for the matinee part of the day. After the morning abolutions I explained to DS the towel system on cruise ships, "on the floor out the door, on the rack hold it back. "

I told him to meet me at the buffet and we would go to Guest services together as he and I decided to put more money on our sail and sign. I left a note for STEWART as per his request asking for a new remote, the one in the room only partially worked and we liked to check the folio. I also asked for blue towels.

I waltzed out the door with DS trying to decide between three outfits not including a bathing suit and tee shirt.

Next up my love affair with the omelete man.

Loving you're review...you're very funny. My mom (65) and I (35) cruise together once a year. We ALWAYS (photogs, bartenders, room steward, etc) get asked if we're sisters...drives me crazy. I honestly think the crew is trained to do this for my mom's benefit, not realizing it ticks off the daughter. I'm wondering if something like that is in play here, though it's weird to imply mother/son are a couple.

Ugh...my biggest pet peeve...using the wrong form of your/you're! Is it against board rules to correct your own grammar? Should read loving YOUR review. I'm going to blame autocorrect lol.

Seriously, this is a great review. You're a fantastic writer.

MY LOVE AFFAIR WITH THE OMELETTE MAN AND OTHER STORIES.

The way the buffet is laid out on the Miracle there are several different areas doing several different things. There is a pastry section, a hot food section, a fruit section etc. What I forgot from my last cruise on her these stations are repeated. So I spent the first morning wandering in circles looking for something ...else. I have not a clue what else may have been, but I assumed I was missing it.

Finally I figured out the floor plan (sort of).

I always order two eggs over medium, grab some cold toast and bacon, and a little fruit and that's breakfast for me.

I stand in line at the omelet station waiting for my turn to order the eggs.

I chose this particular omelet station because the omelet man intrigued me. He was tall and thin, a little older than many of the other buffet servers. There is no one who would call him good looking but he certainly had a unique appearance. He wore a multi-colored head scarf, and a scowl that would have intimidated Hannibal Lector. No matter what omelet was requested you would have believed the passenger demanded he change water into wine. He stopped short of slamming his pans but only with nerves of steel. You could see the cords in his neck throbbing. I was in love. I was too far away to read his name tag but if it was anything but Ivan, Pietr, Boris or Vlad I will hang up my skittle and go home.

Finally it's my turn ...I clear my throat and in my nicest mamaskittle voice I ask for “two eggs over medium.”

Yippee ....he's livid!!!

I mean if he had access to a thermonuclear device at that moment he would have shoved it up my azz.

This time the pan did slam; he mumbled something in his language and stomped off the back area to retrieve a ramekin with about five fresh eggs broken in it. When he got back to the station he glared at me and demanded “What it is you want? “ I smiled, batted my stubby lashes and answered “two eggs over medium: His answer “you wait”. I could have stood there all day.

This guy was great. The older Asian man behind me had the nerve to ask to add cheese to his mushroom omelet after it was plated. I thought Vlad was going to have a stroke. He took the plate tossed out the old omelet and started fresh. “I need to make new if you change. “he snarled. Oh be still my heart. At that point my eggs were done but I really wanted to stay to see the end of the mushroom omelet story but I didn’t.

I completed my hot plate found a table, deposited it and went in search of fruit. I like the citrus sections and whatever else looks fresh. Of course since this cruise was in early June not much summer fruit is super ripe but I took some melon and the citrus and grabbed a coffee. Now you know I have no idea where my food is, just then I hear my name called and its Lori and Azem some new friends from our CC roll call. As I look over I spot my food grab it and sit with my new pals.

I tell you there is nothing in the world like cold eggs, colder toast and great people on a cruise to put you in a good mood. I was really looking forward to a fantastic day. Just then DS shows up. He decided on the swim suit and tee shirt. First thing he asks is “what’s up with the weird omelet man.” I guess he was on the same line. I laughed and told him I thought he was grand and planned on getting my eggs from him every day. I was bound and determined to see if he would survive the week.

CABIN FEVER OVER AGAIN

After breakfast DS and I realized we had left our cash in the safe so we had to go back to the cabin before guest services. When we arrived I spotted a new remote next to the old remote. Or maybe the old remote was next to the new one…well either way there were two and guess what neither worked and we had no clue which was which. There was not a blue towel in sight and the same schmutz and fuzz that had been on the carpet that morning was still on the carpet. At this point I decided to investigate.

I discovered that the ice bucket was not full of ice but still had the small amount of melted ice left over from when I got ice the night before. And to my true dismay the towels that we had used on our bodies to shower with were hung back up on the rods. I know for a fact I threw my towel on the floor and DS swore he did also. The floor mat was still wet but re-rolled up next to the shower. Now I am all for saving the environment and not being a bother but I o not want to dry my face with the same towel I dried my …..Well you get the idea. I took the offending towels off the rack and put them back on the floor.

No more Mrs. Niceskittle it was time to tell on STEWART (BTW the name tags that are usuallyIn the slots by the door telling you who you steward and asst. are were missing the whole cruise hmmmmm???

We went to guest services and there was no line again. First things first, give up some money for the sail and signs.

Thinking we’ll lull them in to a false sense of security and then slam them with STEWARTS slovenliness. I explained the remotes, the ice, the schmutz, the blue towels, and finally got to the wet dirty towels and she actually tried to explain that one away. I mean really!!! I would have accepted backpedaling on any of the other issues but towels that had been used on your behind need to be washed. Seriously. She told us it would be handled. Little did I know how? But that is for the elegant night chapter.

The rest of the day went by so quickly. I sat by the sirens pool area. There is a spot I discovered last Miracle cruise. If you go out to the pool deck right outside the spa and beauty parlor. There are rows of loungers in the shade. Now this part may make sense to only a few of you but I do not sun. Even in the Caribbean I do not sun. It has nothing to do with fear of UV rays or wrinkle worries. It is because it is endless summer all the time in my body. I walk in the snow in flip-flops. I rarely wear a coat. It is always hot in mamaskittles land so I avoid the sun like Barnabas Collins. Now about six of those loungers in the back row are arranged right outside the automatic doors. Each and every time someone comes out on deck the A/C blows a blast of frigid air on those six seats. I will kill a puppy for one of those seats. This first day I scored one immediately. I pulled a diet Pepsi out of my bag poured it into the plastic cup I filled with ice from the buffet and settled in with my kindle for joy joy and happiness. DS came around for a few minutes but found my laid back style not to his liking so he wandered off looking for a commotion. A few hours later he returned. We took a dip in the pool, meh, but it was cooling. We attempted the hot tub but by the third time the little three year old girl crawled across our laps we had had enough. At this point it was time to get ready for “elegant night.’ So this is a good time to end tonight’s narrative.

Next up Dressed to kill

Darn, Mamaskittles! I'm so irked that I look like the Omlette Man, right now. I can't stand the cliff hangers, and had to stay up this late last night to see if you did get the seperate beds. Now tonight, I have to wait to see if you get towels!

You are going to be the death of me, I fear.

Great review!

Loving you're review...you're very funny. My mom (65) and I (35) cruise together once a year. We ALWAYS (photogs, bartenders, room steward, etc) get asked if we're sisters...drives me crazy. I honestly think the crew is trained to do this for my mom's benefit, not realizing it ticks off the daughter. I'm wondering if something like that is in play here, though it's weird to imply mother/son are a couple.

My mom, sis & I also get asked if we're sisters. It happens all the time.:rolleyes:

Mamaskittles - When mom & I cruise together, more often then not, the beds are together. We usually have to find the steward to separate them. But, luckily for us, it doesn't take all day to do it. It is usually done by the time we get back from dinner.

Great and funny review so far.

On our last Miracle cruise we had the most wonderful steward; he seemed to anticipate everything we could want or need, even before we knew we wanted or needed it. We sail again in 10 days and I sooooo hope we have another great cabin steward and that the first time wasn't just beginners luck. Please oh please oh please oh please oh pleeeeeeeeze!!

On our last Miracle cruise we had the most wonderful steward; he seemed to anticipate everything we could want or need, even before we knew we wanted or needed it. We sail again in 10 days and I sooooo hope we have another great cabin steward and that the first time wasn't just beginners luck. Please oh please oh please oh please oh pleeeeeeeeze!!

I was on the same cruise as mamaskittles and I had a good cabin steward that not only took care of our ice and towels but also had the beds taken apart and extra pillows on the beds shortly after we asked......SO there is hope that you have a good one :)

Sorry for the look of the above post I have no clue what I did to cause the color issue but I hope it does not happen again. I'm getting 70's flashbacks. lol.

I have never, ever subscribed to a thread on this site. Until yours. I am absolutely enjoying every post you are making, and, as a person with an English lit degree, really appreciate your humor and writing style! Thank you so very much for an entertaining, informative review. I look forward to reading the rest!

I have to say that this is probably the best review I have read. I cannot drink anything while reading in case I spit up over my computer. We will be on the Miracle next March, and I hope the egg guy is still there, because I will make a point of going to the station.

I can't wait till you post some more, your writing is great!

Archived