Solo cruising vs. Solo Vegas

HowardK

I haven't read the whole thread but just wanted to say thanks for posting this question and thanks for all of the responses. I'm trying to decide between the same....solo cruise or solo Vegas....

Do both! :D

Vegas was my first big solo trip last summer. Loved it! This past winter I went on my first cruise - also solo. I am hooked on cruising! Can't wait to get back on a ship!

And just this week - I booked a flight and hotel for another short visit to Vegas. So excited!

• 3 weeks later...

I had a solo trip to Vegas this spring and loved it (I stayed at the Aria). Paris has a great buffet -- go late for breakfast and stay for lunch, LOL!

I didn't rent a car but arranged via one of the local tour companies to go horseback riding at Bonnie Springs Ranch. The tour operator provided round trip transportation via van. A great breakfast was also served in the restaurant there at the ranch.

I saw the Cirque "Elvis" show but it's closing this month (I really liked it). Over the years, I've also seen three other Cirque shows: Mystere, O, and Love. My favorite was the Beatles Love show. I also did a "Haunted Las Vegas" tour one night that was sort of interesting.

I had a solo trip to Vegas this spring and loved it (I stayed at the Aria). Paris has a great buffet -- go late for breakfast and stay for lunch, LOL!

I didn't rent a car but arranged via one of the local tour companies to go horseback riding at Bonnie Springs Ranch. The tour operator provided round trip transportation via van. A great breakfast was also served in the restaurant there at the ranch.

I saw the Cirque "Elvis" show but it's closing this month (I really liked it). Over the years, I've also seen three other Cirque shows: Mystere, O, and Love. My favorite was the Beatles Love show. I also did a "Haunted Las Vegas" tour one night that was sort of interesting.

Hi, of the 4 Cirque shows- which 2 do you recommend? I was leaning towards O and the Beatles one. (In addition to trying to get half price tix for Penn & Teller/Blue Man Group/ and Jersey Boys). My other thing will be a Hoover Dam/Lake Meade tour.

I was very tempted to switch this to the Epic again as Miami flights dropped and my change fee would have netted to only $88 more than my Vegas flight, but concluded that a) I don't want to spend 3 nights in Miami beforehand (necessary for flight and possible bad weather here) and b) I can wait for the Breakaway.

As for food, I really enjoyed some of the buffets when I went in 2004 and am glad Paris has a dueling piano bar and will see if I can get up and play a few songs like I did at Howl At The Moon on the Epic

I think O is the best of the Cirque shows by far, followed by Love. I went to see the Elvis show with my extended family (6 of us), and we all hated it to the point of feeling embarrassed for them. I've also heard very negative things from family who's seen their show with Criss Angel, for what it's worth.

Thanks for posting- as O and Love would be the 2 i would be likely do.

A friend of mine today at a baseball game recommended the Elvis one, but I would be more inclined to see a Elvis tribute similar to the Legends one that was actually on the Epic last year

I saw LOVE with my friends - they loved it, my one friend who loves George Harrison had happy tears a couple times. I just don't seem to get the whole Cirque experience, so it left me with a question mark.

My sister saw Ka and loved it; she also said Criss Angel's Believe was HORRIBLE.

ETA: Oh, one thing about LOVE, getting the nosebleed/cheap seats works out well, because...oh, you'd have to see for yourself.

I've seen "Love" 3 times now. I want to see "O" the next time I'm in Vegas. When you buy tickets for a cirque show, I (if it was me, not trying to tell you what to do) would buy tickets more towards the back. Being towards the front would make my neck hurt.

I've also been told that Chris Angels show is terrible.

Caesar's Palace is supposed to open it's new buffet on Sept. 10th. I've read that this will be the biggest buffet in town.

I've seen O twice, once from up close and once from further away - both are good, but for different reasons. It's almost like a different show, since you can see and appreciate different things. Certainly the cheaper, distant seats are not a weakness (as they are with some different shows).

I've seen O twice, once from up close and once from further away - both are good, but for different reasons. It's almost like a different show, since you can see and appreciate different things. Certainly the cheaper, distant seats are not a weakness (as they are with some different shows).

If you went to see O again would you want up close or further away? Did your neck ache when you were up close?

Are you aware of this Vegas blog? It's very informative. http://www.vegassolo.com/

That is really great, i completely missed that when looking for information on Vegas.

For myself I decided to answer the question doing LV or cruise solo with both ;)

First NCL Breakaway TA then a couple of days LV.

Thanks for all this valuable information so far in this thread.

• 1 month later...
Since the Epic has certain characteristics of Vegas (more so the entertainment, and the freedom to be not as structured). Have any of you done Vegas solo as well? I was given 5 comp nights at Paris and am tempted to do that instead of a cruise this year, and then do the Breakaway 2x next year instead.

I won't pass up on the 5 days free rooms either. I recently had 2 night at Balley's and loved it. Also go see Terry Fator at the Mirage. He's a very good ventriloquist, singer and comedian. Very good show. I also saw the Ka show at MGM and it was great. Try and take the tour to the Valley of Fire National Park. Very nice.... Have fun

I also love to cruise solo and have one coming up Feb. 26th.....

I won't pass up on the 5 days free rooms either. I recently had 2 night at Balley's and loved it. Also go see Terry Fator at the Mirage. He's a very good ventriloquist, singer and comedian. Very good show. I also saw the Ka show at MGM and it was great. Try and take the tour to the Valley of Fire National Park. Very nice.... Have fun

I also love to cruise solo and have one coming up Feb. 26th.....

I wanted to see Penn and Teller, as I have not seen them since college 20 years ago. I might see Fator and/or Copperfield as well.

I ended up booking the Epic for April, using the $100 OBC + $100 HSN deal which was to good to pass up.

However, Vegas is in trouble as the Rolling Stones have 50th anniversary gigs in NJ that week in all likelihood!

Have fun in Vegas!! I just made it there again last month and loved it. I was kicking myself a bit before I left - wishing I had planned for another day. Luckily I didn't since I got sick when I was there :(

Make sure you check out Fremont Street one of the nights you are there! Love it!

Enjoy your trip - can't wait to hear all about it.

Do you have a review posted of your vegas trip? Would love to hear it.

2 months to my Vegas trip- i lucked out because the Rolling Stones shows are 12/13 (which would have been my flight to miami) and 12/15 which would have been the sailing date.

Isn't it funny how things just work out sometimes? Sadly, I do not have a review for this past trip to Vegas. To be honest, I didn't do a whole heck of a lot - and it was exactly what I needed with the summer I had!

I do, however, have a guest blog on the vegassolo.com site from my first trip to Vegas last year. I took a night tour of Vegas and was asked to review it! Check it out!

http://www.vegassolo.com/a-solo-traveler-tours-las-vegas/

This site also has a ton of useful information as well. Not to mention, the owner is an amazing woman. So thankful I have met her.

Keep me posted on your trip!

• 1 month later...

Hello, with Vegas just 22 days away for me (assuming I still do it)

Please provide some advice/opinioins.

The most positive thing about the Epic was having a group of people, and things I would see everyday.

How does one get this sense of continuity in Vegas?

One of the things I am considering is trying my hand at various deuling pianos since I tend to play anywhere in general.

I don't drink much, so I am really not going to be sitting at bars.

The most positive thing about the Epic was having a group of people, and things I would see everyday.

How does one get this sense of continuity in Vegas?

It's really hard to have any continuity of people that you see when in Vegas, except for employees......Vegas is a vacation spot for a lot of people making quick trips - a weekend away, a stop on the way to or from somewhere, etc. Add to that the vast array of options not available on the closed confines of the ship and you end up with almost no continuity in the people that you'll see. The exception might be if you go to your hotel gym or pool at the same time every day, but even then it's less likely than on the ship.

As for things that you see every day, the only way to create that sense of continuity in Vegas is to choose to go to the same places every day. For me, I used to start my day with a soak and a steam bath almost every day, but that was as much continuity as I wanted - I wanted different things, so I chose not to go to the same places every day.

howardk,

dude ... when are you gonna be in vegas? i'm gonna be there 12/20 & 12/21, quick overnight--only one meeting, but thought i'd stay the night long as i was there. made the air reservation yesterday--still kinda looking for good value for overnight lodging (looking for a place that includes chow & has an airport shuttle) ... maybe walking distance to see a show or sumthin.

from all the stuff i've seen--there's no shortage of stuff to do 'in town' not to mention the stuff on the perimeter. seems like you still couldn't do it all in five days. if i were you, i wouldn't be worried about being bored. assuming you're okay with checkin' places out solo.

from the little i know about the 'paris' it's a really nice place!

anyhow--hope you have a good time.

s/f

vr/chandler

over...

It is tough to run into the same people in Vegas like you would normally run into on a ship. It is also difficult to meet others as well. I often ate meals at the bar in the restaurant and was able to chat with others or the bartender. I ended up spending two hours one night just chatting with an amazing bartender. I have found that people are generally friendly and happy in Vegas.

I did meet two different people from a travel website. Both of my experiences with that site have been amazing. I am so thankful to have met both of them, and I can honestly say, one has turned into an great friend. If you google "tavel buddy" you should find it :)

Go and have fun though! You will definitely enjoy it!

Ive done Vegas solo a lot. Been out there solo about 10 trips. Each trip for 5 nights. Its just the right amount of time. I see your going to few Cirque shows. I havent read the entire thread but I recommend Ka and Mystere. Seen both many times. you say you wont be hanging out in the bars that much. But for dueling pianos I suggest the Bar at Times Square at NYNY. Your in a great location with Paris. Also go catch a few afternoon shows. Go downtown to see the Freemont Experience. Old Vegas with a twist! I love going solo out there. You never have to worry about what your going to do. Just do it. My favorite thing to do is walk the Strip at night and people watching. Oh yea go see the Bellegio Fountain shows.

As concerts and music are my #1 passion (besides the Philadelphia PHillies) after all this, I think my Vegas trip is on hold. Will instead be headed to NYC for 4 nights/5 days to see the 12-12-12 concert (as Billy Joel is my idol and I play the piano because of him), 2 Rolling Stones concerts, and perhaps the broadway show Once. Dealbreaker was getting a decent hotel for half-off on a black friday sale.

This is semi-solo since I will be getting together with many stones fans from boards like this I have gotten to know over the years.

As time went on, I kind of decided to perhaps wait until the summer when at least 2 or 3 friends could go to Vegas. I went on the Epic by myself and did well, however failed miserably on the Jewel, and wasn't sure as time went on if I wanted to do 5-6 days by myself vs. the concerts.

The free room was nice, but to be honest it was a low demand week and for $200 a room could be had for 5-6 nights as well. Also, logitscally it was a little hard envisioing getting home 2am from the Stones and flying out in the morning

Looking back on all my travel experiences, I find I can do really well in NYC for 4 nights as it is only under 2 hours from where I am. I would say the Epic ranked up there. I did do Vegas a few days by myself- not bad, but I would say of all the experiences I would never do a non-Epic or non-Breakaway by myself again (i.e. Jewel)

I doubt I would start a thread solo NYC vs. solo cruise, just because I think NYC is a great place for a solo.

I had thought about how upset I was being alone on the Jewel, and didn't want to risk it in Vegas, although I think not being confined in Vegas would have added to my comfort level.

I would say the Epic ranked up there. I did do Vegas a few days by myself- not bad, but I would say of all the experiences I would never do a non-Epic or non-Breakaway by myself again (i.e. Jewel)

Would you (could you?) elaborate more on what made your Jewel experiences so bad vs. your experiences on the Epic? I'm curious more for planning future solo travel.

Would you (could you?) elaborate more on what made your Jewel experiences so bad vs. your experiences on the Epic? I'm curious more for planning future solo travel.

Sure, I'll be happy to share so that perhaps someone similar to me does not make the same choice the first time around.

I strictly went on the Jewel to prevent the hassle of flying- Epic was totally worth going to Miami from NJ.

As soon as I got on the Jewel, I was like fed to the wolves. To be honest, hardly spoke to anyone the whole week, I just didn't find it conducive to meeting people.

Now on the Epic, met some non-solos from the roll call, studio gathering, played the piano every nigth

There were others like me- you have a set agenda so to speak but you have much flexibility

Sorry you had a poor experience on the Jewel. I took a solo 5 night on her this past Thanksgiving and had a great time. I do not cruise for the social aspect though, I cruise because I love the sea :)

I did meet people in the hot tub and chatted up and then would see them throughout others area. At dinner I had my own table that was amongst other table for two and had pleasant conversations with the people at the table on either side of me.

I guess we each hvae our own expectation of cruising alone...some want a "singles" cruise and other a "solo" cruise...difference being the former is looking for interactions and meetings and the latter does not have it as a high priority.

Glad you have found the solo cruise expereince that fits your tastes on with the epic/breakaway :)

Archived