renting a car on Aruba, when on a cruise

btoohill

Our cruise ship docks in Aruba 1pm - 11pm in mid-December 2012. I've done a search of the forum for information on renting a car at the cruise terminal and there isn't much recent information other than the thread on Royal car rentals where there's recommending it and one not recommmending. Any other recent experience with renting a car there when you're on a cruise? Thanks

It doesn't matter if there's a location at the pier; they will come pick you up. I only have experience renting from Tropic Car Rental, and haven't had any problem with them. I don't know if they just rent for the day.

http://www.tropiccarrent-aruba.com/

According to their website they only have Hyundai Accents for their fleet. We were looking for something bigger (van) since their are 8 (4 kids though) of us. If we need to we would possibly rent 2 cars but would prefer 1 van.

Anyone have any other companies? Preferably one with location at the pier.

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

A few years ago we were on Aruba and had booked a reservation through Hertz before the cruise.

When we got off the ship, the Hertz kiosk was empty and the local operator had apparently gone out of business. I was a bit p.o.'d but ended up with a Jeep from a local vendor that worked out okay. It did have a funky starter, but we made a bunch of stops and got back to the ship. Open jeep was fun - drove to lighthouse (watch for goats on the road) and then headed to the other end of the island to a beach near the Valero refinery that had a snack shop and nice beach.

Go for it!

We were really looking for the flexibility of having a rental car to go and see whatever we would like, however, with 4 adults and 4 kids this doesn't seem to be possible except by renting 2 cars. I think we've decided to take the bus and enjoy a beach day.

Taking a tour is just too pricey for the 8 of us.

We were really looking for the flexibility of having a rental car to go and see whatever we would like, however, with 4 adults and 4 kids this doesn't seem to be possible except by renting 2 cars. I think we've decided to take the bus and enjoy a beach day.

Taking a tour is just too pricey for the 8 of us.

Did you check out pricing a tour with Sonny Binns?

boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1665573

boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1510174

boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1552814

He will even drop you off at the beach at the end of your tour.

Archived