Roberts vs Valley Isle Excursions for Road to Hana

scordovi

Not sure about Roberts but Valley Isle uses small vans. We booked with Valley Isles for our upcoming cruise. We have driven before and enjoyed it but the driver misses out on so much.

I took a Valley Isle Road to Hana tour last month and really enjoyed it. Held something like 12 people - very large windows so that even if something was on the opposite side of the bus you could still get a good view from the "wrong" side. (You'll be closer to the edge on the left, so choose accordingly)

It's something of a long day, but the coach itself was very comfortable and easy to get on/off. The tourguide was friendly and bottled juices were available as needed from a cooler by her seat. Lunch was basic barbecue fare but tasty.

I had heard nothing but good things about them and my experience lived up to my expectations.

I do not know anything about Roberts, but the Valley Isle tour we took a few years ago was excellent. I can highly recommend them! Very professional guide and the tour van was very comfortable. I have done the entire "circle" twice; the first time I drove, and the second time many years later with Valley Isle. I would never recommend driving. The poor driver misses so much just trying to keep alive, LOL. Let someone else do the driving this time.

• 4 weeks later...
http://www.tourmaui.com/

I like the small vans, the nice lunch provided and we had a great guide. I read lots of great recommendations about them on this board and that's why I picked them when we went to Hawaii

Although you can see the excursions on the Celebrity website, they can't be booked as of now. The Road to Hanna tour is $159.00 for 9 hrs. This seems a little steep to me. We will be on the Celebrity Solstice and in Maui on Tues 4/30. We are only there from 8- 5PM . I don't want miss the ship.

Gem:)

I know there was mention on here that the left side is the side by the edge but for those who have done this tour with Valley Isle Excursions which side is the most scenic in your opinion or does it truly matter? Thanks for the info.

All tour companies use either vans or mini buses for this tour as the road is narrow at spots and has about 60 bends in the road.

It's 620 curves and 59 bridges -- 46 of which are one lane. It is quite a drive! :)

Aloha!

I would never recommend driving. The poor driver misses so much just trying to keep alive, LOL. Let someone else do the driving this time.

I drove the last time, for the entire circle. I enjoyed it very much. I don't feel I missed out. I spent some time planning the drive, read through notes, and my wife helped to keep track of where we are. It's not just the drive, but the many places were you'll stop, to go watch the surfers, hike to the falls, gardens, cliffs by the sea, etc. Our friends that were riders, certainly enjoyed the trip. Because I was driving and my wife helped to navigate, we ended up knowing and remembering a lot more of the trip.

It was 2005 when we did it. We rented a van for under $40. Drove from Lahaina, to RT Hana, then circle back to Lahaina. It was less than a tank of gas, so worked out to less than $100. The tours would've cost >$100/p, times 6.

I know there was mention on here that the left side is the side by the edge but for those who have done this tour with Valley Isle Excursions which side is the most scenic in your opinion or does it truly matter? Thanks for the info.

Left side is more scenic when you're on the edge and the valleys stretch out below you to the left. There really isn't much where the primary thing to look at is on the right (except one stretch of small waterfalls, but the buses try to stop for them and let people out).

The vans are small enough, however, and the windows so large, covering the whole sides of the van, that you probably get a nice view from the right side, too. However, if you have a choice and aren't afraid of heights, left side, definitely.

Left side is more scenic when you're on the edge and the valleys stretch out below you to the left. There really isn't much where the primary thing to look at is on the right (except one stretch of small waterfalls, but the buses try to stop for them and let people out).

The vans are small enough, however, and the windows so large, covering the whole sides of the van, that you probably get a nice view from the right side, too. However, if you have a choice and aren't afraid of heights, left side, definitely.

Thank you so much for this info!:) The left is where I will be sitting if at all possible. If I get scared I will will close my eyes.;)

Archived