Denali and Halibut fishing in the same trip?

4_Leaf_Clover

What my family and I would really like to do on our next Alaska trip is go Halibut fishing somewhere and also visit Denali. (We just returned from the Southbound Alaska cruise with only one night in Anchorage.)

I realize that distances in Alaska are VAST so I am needing some friendly suggestions on how to make this happen. There are 6 of us, we'll have a rental car, and we'll be going for about a week 1/2 in July of 2014.

I have found AK Spruce Cabins near Denali and think we will probably stay there 3 nights ... but what would be our best bet as far as distance for halibut fishing? Homer? Seward? Somewhere closer that I dont know about?

Fly into Anchorage, rent a car, drive to Homer and stay for a couple of nights, go halibut fishing while there, drive straight to Denali from Homer or stay a night somewhere in between (where? Anchorage?), stay a couple of nights near Denali, drive back to Anchorage and fly home?

Friendly suggestions please? I am so lost. :confused:

THANK YA'LL!! :)

Fly into Anchorage, rent a car, drive to Homer and stay for a couple of nights, go halibut fishing while there, drive straight to Denali from Homer or stay a night somewhere in between (where? Anchorage?), stay a couple of nights near Denali, drive back to Anchorage and fly home?

Or maybe:

take the train from Anchorage to Seward, stay a couple of nights there, do a combo halibut/salmon fishing charter trip, take the train back to anchorage, rent a car, stay a night and then drive up to Denali?

Or go to Denali first, then Seward, have your catch cleaned and flash frozen, then take it on the plane with you as excess baggage which is probably cheaper than shipping.

Tripadvisor has a link on fishing and at the end are approximate processing and shippingcosts.

Or go to Denali first, then Seward, have your catch cleaned and flash frozen, then take it on the plane with you as excess baggage which is probably cheaper than shipping.

Tripadvisor has a link on fishing and at the end are approximate processing and shippingcosts.

Or cook it at our cabin near Denali ?

I wouldn't consider a round trip train to Seward, but, if you want a good use of time, then consider a HAL, Celebrity or RCI cruise. Stay a few days, then take the train one way Seward/Anchorage.

If you are on NCL or Princess, then you can back track with a car, and get to either Homer or Seward. Thses are two night stops in my opinion. I don't recommend either Seward or Whittier and a same day trip to Denali - you would need to allow 9-10 hours with stops.

With 1 1/2 weeks- what else are planning.

Figure this out, before you get into - too many plans. Then work and rework an itinerary, that flows and fits your touring the best.

If all six of you (or even just a few) go halibut fishing, you will not be able to cook it all, so you would need to find a place to leave it in Anchorage while you then went to Denali. And if all you want is enough to cook for a meal, drop the rest off at my house on the way to Denali:D.

You can fish for halibut out of Seward, Ninilchik, and Anchor Point, in addition to Homer.

I wouldn't consider a round trip train to Seward, but, if you want a good use of time, then consider a HAL, Celebrity or RCI cruise. Stay a few days, then take the train one way Seward/Anchorage.

If you are on NCL or Princess, then you can back track with a car, and get to either Homer or Seward. Thses are two night stops in my opinion. I don't recommend either Seward or Whittier and a same day trip to Denali - you would need to allow 9-10 hours with stops.

With 1 1/2 weeks- what else are planning.

Figure this out, before you get into - too many plans. Then work and rework an itinerary, that flows and fits your touring the best.

Hi Budget Queen, thank you for your input.

We just returned from a Southbound cruise on Princess this month and are wanting to return to Alaska in 2014 for a land only trip as we didnt do any land (except for one night in Anchorage) this year.

Since we arent going until 2014 we are in the VERY EARLY stages on planning and trying to get everything worked out and timed right before I start looking into booking things.

Here is a rough example of what I am thinking. Please please please critique:

SUNDAY

--Fly into Anchorage

--Pick up rental car from the airport or other destination? (suggestion?)

--Stay night in Anchorage

MONDAY

--Drive to Seward stopping along the way for pictures

--Stay the night in Seward

TUESDAY

--Go on a combo halibut/salmon fishing charter

WEDNESDAY

--Drive to Anchorage

--Stay night in Anchorage as a "halfway point" to Denali (other suggestion?)

THURSDAY

--Drive to Healy

--Check into AK Spruce Cabins

FRIDAY

--Explore Denali

--Stay night in AK Spruce Cabins

SATURDAY

--Explore Denali

SUNDAY

--Explore Denali

MONDAY

--Drive back to Anchorage

--Stay the night in Anchorage

TUESDAY

--Fly home

If all six of you (or even just a few) go halibut fishing, you will not be able to cook it all, so you would need to find a place to leave it in Anchorage while you then went to Denali. And if all you want is enough to cook for a meal, drop the rest off at my house on the way to Denali:D.

You can fish for halibut out of Seward, Ninilchik, and Anchor Point, in addition to Homer.

HAHA!! You would like that, huh? ;)

I'll be honest...I thought it was catch and release!! I didnt realize that we had to find a place for what we catch LOL

Whatever you do - do not take the train anywhere in AK,m especially w 6 people. The economics are not there compared to the cost of renting a car - compare 6 train fares versus one car rental and then how do you get around once you get off the train.. You don't see anything as the train only stops at stations. You have no flexibility in your travel as you can not change your minds as to what you see or where you stop.

You do need to figure on a full day to drive from Denali to Seward but if you take the train, you have to change trains in Anchorage and it probably takes about the same time.

Just my personal opinion but I can not see why so many people take the train in AK unless they are afraid to drive or are afraid of very slightly independent travel.

DON

Hi Budget Queen, thank you for your input.

We just returned from a Southbound cruise on Princess this month and are wanting to return to Alaska in 2014 for a land only trip as we didnt do any land (except for one night in Anchorage) this year.

Since we arent going until 2014 we are in the VERY EARLY stages on planning and trying to get everything worked out and timed right before I start looking into booking things.

Here is a rough example of what I am thinking. Please please please critique:

SUNDAY

--Fly into Anchorage

--Pick up rental car from the airport or other destination? (suggestion?)

--Stay night in Anchorage

MONDAY

--Drive to Seward stopping along the way for pictures

TUESDAY

--Go on a combo halibut/salmon fishing charter

WEDNESDAY

--Drive to Anchorage

--Stay night in Anchorage as a "halfway point" to Denali (other suggestion?)

THURSDAY

--Drive to Healy

--Check into AK Spruce Cabins

FRIDAY

--Explore Denali

SATURDAY

--Explore Denali

SUNDAY

--Explore Denali

MONDAY

--Drive back to Anchorage

--Stay the night in Anchorage

TUESDAY

--Fly home

Do you have an extensive interest with multiple entries- there is the buy 2 get 3 shuttle bus rides?? This is a LOT of time there for the "average" person. You are way early, so I will say- to keep working on this, and don't be rigid on paper. There is a lot you can alter, which will come by reading up on areas. What about Talkeetna, Valdez, Whittier, Fairbanks, Kenai Peninsula, Mat Su etc etc etc.

Finding out about more Alaska areas, may find your way touring there. :)

I would suggest spending Wed. night in the Wasilla/Palmer area, rather than Anchorage...it is a better division for driving. In fact, after you see what there is to do in the Mat-Su Valley area, you might want to spend Wed./Thurs. nights there, and cut Denali back to 3 nights.

http://www.alaskavisit.com/

If you dont mind me asking, what do you suggest for the Mat-Su Valley area?

We just returned from the Southbound Alaska cruise and during our trip we did:

-Train ride from Anchorage to Whittier

-26 Glacier cruise from Whittier

-Heli flight to Glacier

-Dog Sledding on Glacier

I would like to focus on fishing and wildlife viewing with this trip but am totally up to additional suggestions. I will say that a couple of people in our group of 6 dont hike very well so I'm not sure how well theyd do with a bunch of walking and climbing.

FORGET the train. Rent the car.

If you don't want your fish, you have wasted a lot of money doing catch and release on a charter. You can drive to Homer and fish in the "fishing hole" for free (license required) if you don't want your fish. Believe me, someone will take your fish. Why waste money on an expensive charter?

If I am not mistaken, Seward has the 1 halibut limit. Homer has 2 halibut limit. So how much fish do you want? Or do you just want to try to go fishing??? With 6 people, you could easily feed almost the entire 6 people healthy fish for the year fishing out of Homer.

As Mapleleaves posted, leave the fishing to last if you want to keep your fish. You can then take them home flash frozen in coolers or the nice boxes the processors give you as excess luggage. MUCH cheaper than shipping.

FORGET the train. Rent the car.

If you don't want your fish, you have wasted a lot of money doing catch and release on a charter. You can drive to Homer and fish in the "fishing hole" for free (license required) if you don't want your fish. Believe me, someone will take your fish. Why waste money on an expensive charter?

If I am not mistaken, Seward has the 1 halibut limit. Homer has 2 halibut limit. So how much fish do you want? Or do you just want to try to go fishing??? With 6 people, you could easily feed almost the entire 6 people healthy fish for the year fishing out of Homer.

As Mapleleaves posted, leave the fishing to last if you want to keep your fish. You can then take them home flash frozen in coolers or the nice boxes the processors give you as excess luggage. MUCH cheaper than shipping.

Yeah, I am going with the rental car for the whole trip. Just hope I can get one big enough to fit all 6 of us and our luggage :o

The Denali and Fishing trip can be swapped. You guys have a good point on the fishing. I'm used to the fishing charters in Mexico..where you catch and they keep the fish :rolleyes: I would be more than happy to bring some halibut home with me but would be just as happy with the experience of catching one.

Since you mentioned limits...is the 1 halibut limit the limit you can catch, or the limit you can keep? I would be disappointed if I reeled in a baby halibut and had to lay my pole down...I want a Big 'un!! :D

Since you mentioned limits...is the 1 halibut limit the limit you can catch, or the limit you can keep? I would be disappointed if I reeled in a baby halibut and had to lay my pole down...I want a Big 'un!! :D

Book EARLY on the rental car.

Halibut limit is 1 fish per day caught in a lot of Alaska. Homer has a two halibut per day limit.

Unless you are entering a fishing derby, you DO NOT want a big halibut. What they call "chicken halibut"-35-50 pounds provides the best eating. Plus you have to pull the darn thing off the bottom. It IS a chore and if someone doesn't help you, sometimes your fish gets away if it is a really big one (over 100 pounds).

Don't know the consistency of your group but DH and I do this EVERY year around Labor Day. http://www.alaskacoastalmarine.com/overnight_fishing_trips.htm

8 fish for the two of us in an overnight trip. After it is cleaned, fileted and processed, enough halibut to feed us healthy for most of the year. The guys all stay up all night. I catch my two fish EARLY, EARLY ( I HATE to fish), go to bed, read a book, eat, whatever. Some women may not like it but the ride out and the ride back are truly, truly interesting-the sea otters are all floating around in Katchemak Bay and on the way back to Homer, they are in their little groups all eating their breakfast carrying around their rocks. Yes, they keep the same rock most of the morning-really interesting.

If an overnight trip, saving you one days hotel/motel, doesn't interest you, then take a look at this trip. http://rainbowtours.net/half-day-halibut-fishing.htm MV Jackpot has the BEST crew and Captain in Homer.

There is a lot of interesting stuff to do in Homer. The scenery is simply spectacular looking across the bay, you can take a day bear viewing trip (oops, another idea), you can fish from the bank at the "fishing hole" for almost free-poles are available for rent at the Gear Shack across the road, it is free to fish and you can get a license almost anyplace (even online) for just about the price of one pound of fish in the lower 48.

For a great place to stay, check out this: http://landsendlodges.com/renters_info.htm

Right on the beach, walking distance to everything the Homer Spit has to offer, a darn sight cheaper for 6 people than most other accommodations in Homer. Cook your own fish right on the beach. Watch the otters every single morning with their rocks while they feed. You can fish off the shore on the North side of Land's End.

We co-own one of the first condos built with another couple. Small and works for the 4 of us. Not nearly as luxurious as the newer ones (the 2.5-3 bedrooms) or as big but sure is fine for what we need. It is under Land's End management, so can't rent it out myself. We actually have to "rent" our own condo and sometimes it is not available for us, so we have stayed in a LOT of places in Homer. One of these days, if I ever get to take more than a couple weeks away from my business (DH is semi retired), we are going to pay off the mortgage and live there the entire summer.

Homer, Alaska-one of my two favorite places in the world. The other one is Phnom Penh Cambodia-such disparity but both have a flavor of the Wild West and suits me just fine.

Enjoy!!!

Book EARLY on the rental car.

Halibut limit is 1 fish per day caught in a lot of Alaska. Homer has a two halibut per day limit.

Unless you are entering a fishing derby, you DO NOT want a big halibut. What they call "chicken halibut"-35-50 pounds provides the best eating. Plus you have to pull the darn thing off the bottom. It IS a chore and if someone doesn't help you, sometimes your fish gets away if it is a really big one (over 100 pounds).

Don't know the consistency of your group but DH and I do this EVERY year around Labor Day. http://www.alaskacoastalmarine.com/overnight_fishing_trips.htm

8 fish for the two of us in an overnight trip. After it is cleaned, fileted and processed, enough halibut to feed us healthy for most of the year. The guys all stay up all night. I catch my two fish EARLY, EARLY ( I HATE to fish), go to bed, read a book, eat, whatever. Some women may not like it but the ride out and the ride back are truly, truly interesting-the sea otters are all floating around in Katchemak Bay and on the way back to Homer, they are in their little groups all eating their breakfast carrying around their rocks. Yes, they keep the same rock most of the morning-really interesting.

If an overnight trip, saving you one days hotel/motel, doesn't interest you, then take a look at this trip. http://rainbowtours.net/half-day-halibut-fishing.htm MV Jackpot has the BEST crew and Captain in Homer.

There is a lot of interesting stuff to do in Homer. The scenery is simply spectacular looking across the bay, you can take a day bear viewing trip (oops, another idea), you can fish from the bank at the "fishing hole" for almost free-poles are available for rent at the Gear Shack across the road, it is free to fish and you can get a license almost anyplace (even online) for just about the price of one pound of fish in the lower 48.

For a great place to stay, check out this: http://landsendlodges.com/renters_info.htm

Right on the beach, walking distance to everything the Homer Spit has to offer, a darn sight cheaper for 6 people than most other accommodations in Homer. Cook your own fish right on the beach. Watch the otters every single morning with their rocks while they feed. You can fish off the shore on the North side of Land's End.

We co-own one of the first condos built with another couple. Small and works for the 4 of us. Not nearly as luxurious as the newer ones (the 2.5-3 bedrooms) or as big but sure is fine for what we need. It is under Land's End management, so can't rent it out myself. We actually have to "rent" our own condo and sometimes it is not available for us, so we have stayed in a LOT of places in Homer. One of these days, if I ever get to take more than a couple weeks away from my business (DH is semi retired), we are going to pay off the mortgage and live there the entire summer.

Homer, Alaska-one of my two favorite places in the world. The other one is Phnom Penh Cambodia-such disparity but both have a flavor of the Wild West and suits me just fine.

Enjoy!!!

Great suggestions! I personally would love the overnight trip (as Im sure the 3 guys would love it too) but the 2 other women on the trip arent fishermen and not sure if they'd go for it :( I can always suggest.

Question about the overnight....how is the water? Choppy?

Great suggestions! I personally would love the overnight trip (as Im sure the 3 guys would love it too) but the 2 other women on the trip arent fishermen and not sure if they'd go for it :( I can always suggest.

Question about the overnight....how is the water? Choppy?

If the other two ladies don't want to go, then leave them in Homer with the car. I can suggest things to keep them busy all day (as long as they are not opposed to staying alone at night). Or all three ladies go on a bear viewing trip (NOT cheap) and the guys go fishing on the overnight.

IF you plan this correctly, you can take your fish home as excess luggage (we have more coolers than Walmart-buy them in Anchorage or Fred Myers in Soldotna (you pass by there on your way to Homer). So your actual halibut fish cost, after processing, the cost of the trip, the coolers and excess luggage fees will be about $5-6.00 per pound. PRETTY CHEAP eating when healthy halibut is about $11 per pound at the cheapest and is very often in the $17-18 per pound range.

That is why we catch about 400 pounds per year. Cleaned and processed-200 pounds to take home. We only take carryon's because we have stuff stored in our car in Homer but even if we had to pay for ALL excess luggage, we still would come out FAR ahead and be eating healthy food we caught all year long.

Do you have an extensive interest with multiple entries- there is the buy 2 get 3 shuttle bus rides?? This is a LOT of time there for the "average" person. You are way early, so I will say- to keep working on this, and don't be rigid on paper. There is a lot you can alter, which will come by reading up on areas. What about Talkeetna, Valdez, Whittier, Fairbanks, Kenai Peninsula, Mat Su etc etc etc.

Finding out about more Alaska areas, may find your way touring there. :)

Sorry, this is in reference to your extensive amount of time in Denali Park. It is more than average, and my question- are you planning on multiple entries INTO the park, via the shuttle buses or how are you planning on occupying your time?

Mat Su has Matanuska Glacier area, Hatcher Pass, Independence Mine, Musk Ox Farm, Sled dog Headquarters Museum/cheap cart ride. http://www.alaskavisit.com

Sorry, this is in reference to your extensive amount of time in Denali Park. It is more than average, and my question- are you planning on multiple entries INTO the park, via the shuttle buses or how are you planning on occupying your time?

Mat Su has Matanuska Glacier area, Hatcher Pass, Independence Mine, Musk Ox Farm, Sled dog Headquarters Museum/cheap cart ride. www.alaskavisit.com

Oh, ok! Well, I honestly dont know how many days to spend at Denali...I keep hearing to stay 3 but I really only seeing us doing 1 tour (Tunda Winderness Tour). I havent done much research on Denali itself so I dont know what else there is to do other than paid tours. That research is on my "to do" list. I would like to drive the 15 miles into the park with our personal vehicle a couple of evenings in hopes for wildlife.

If the other two ladies don't want to go, then leave them in Homer with the car. I can suggest things to keep them busy all day (as long as they are not opposed to staying alone at night). Or all three ladies go on a bear viewing trip (NOT cheap) and the guys go fishing on the overnight.

IF you plan this correctly, you can take your fish home as excess luggage (we have more coolers than Walmart-buy them in Anchorage or Fred Myers in Soldotna (you pass by there on your way to Homer). So your actual halibut fish cost, after processing, the cost of the trip, the coolers and excess luggage fees will be about $5-6.00 per pound. PRETTY CHEAP eating when healthy halibut is about $11 per pound at the cheapest and is very often in the $17-18 per pound range.

That is why we catch about 400 pounds per year. Cleaned and processed-200 pounds to take home. We only take carryon's because we have stuff stored in our car in Homer but even if we had to pay for ALL excess luggage, we still would come out FAR ahead and be eating healthy food we caught all year long.

That was going to be my next question..how exactly to carry the fish on the plane...they'll let you "check in" a cooler? How big of a cooler?

Oh, ok! Well, I honestly dont know how many days to spend at Denali...I keep hearing to stay 3 but I really only seeing us doing 1 tour (Tunda Winderness Tour). I havent done much research on Denali itself so I dont know what else there is to do other than paid tours. That research is on my "to do" list. I would like to drive the 15 miles into the park with our personal vehicle a couple of evenings in hopes for wildlife.

Only a suggestion, but back up. Find out about Denali and what are your interests there. http://www.nps.gov/dena Two nights there is actually very doable for many people and one bus ride into the park. For independents, I never recommend the Tundra Wilderness tour. This is triple the cost of the shuttle buses, with my min. recommendation in to Eielson.

That was going to be my next question..how exactly to carry the fish on the plane...they'll let you "check in" a cooler? How big of a cooler?

About 3 feet x 18 inches x 2 feet. The normal coolers you take for a weekend-I think they are about 50 quart coolers. Just make sure you don't go over 50 pounds total, that you use plenty of gel paks (the fish processor will sell them to you) and that you SECURELY wrap the cooler with strapping tape (the white stuff with the filaments inside) or duck tape. Don't buy the ones with wheels or the fancy ones. Just get the cheapest you can get that would hold 50 pounds of frozen fish with gel paks.

It is a hoot at the Anchorage airport in early September-it is not only silver salmon season, but caribou and moose hunting season. So the airport is FILLED with hunters and fishermen and the varying ways people are getting their meat/fish home is a crack up. Everything from professionally packaged meat and fish to one guy a couple years ago that had all his caribou in duffle bags with waterproof liners (the meat had been processed and frozen). I have also seen guys put their fish/meat in those $2.00 styrofoam coolers and then put them in cardboard boxes. About the same philosophy as the professionally packaged stuff but a few dollars cheaper if you can find the boxes. Too much hassle for us-we just keep buying cheap coolers.

Don't worry, the Anchorage airport is very used to seeing coolers checked in as luggage.

About 3 feet x 18 inches x 2 feet. The normal coolers you take for a weekend-I think they are about 50 quart coolers. Just make sure you don't go over 50 pounds total, that you use plenty of gel paks (the fish processor will sell them to you) and that you SECURELY wrap the cooler with strapping tape (the white stuff with the filaments inside) or duck tape. Don't buy the ones with wheels or the fancy ones. Just get the cheapest you can get that would hold 50 pounds of frozen fish with gel paks.

It is a hoot at the Anchorage airport in early September-it is not only silver salmon season, but caribou and moose hunting season. So the airport is FILLED with hunters and fishermen and the varying ways people are getting their meat/fish home is a crack up. Everything from professionally packaged meat and fish to one guy a couple years ago that had all his caribou in duffle bags with waterproof liners (the meat had been processed and frozen). I have also seen guys put their fish/meat in those $2.00 styrofoam coolers and then put them in cardboard boxes. About the same philosophy as the professionally packaged stuff but a few dollars cheaper if you can find the boxes. Too much hassle for us-we just keep buying cheap coolers.

Don't worry, the Anchorage airport is very used to seeing coolers checked in as luggage.

And trust me, if you're over that 50 lbs, your choices are to take something out to make weight or hand over that money!

Susan in Anchorage :)

Archived