Question about cruising to Canada

bougiet

Hello all,

I leave on the 12th from Boston on the Glory to St.John. I have never done a cruise to Canada before and am curious as to what the weather will be like. I have a feeling during the day it will be warm but at night does it get chilly? I also hear the St. John can be dreary and cold. Any information would be fantastic. Thank you in advance.

DH and I did NY to St John's 5 years ago this week. It was very cold. Outer decks were closed because of fog and high winds. Dont get me wrong we had a very nice and relaxing time. Read, drank coffee, played games and slept. As the parents of 3 boys, one having special needs it was nice to get away alone. But... bring jeans and a sweat shirt. Best to have them and not use them. We had to buy sweatshirts onboard. St Johns was very nice. It was in the high 70's. Make sure you hit the market right near the port. We did the tour out to the caves and some fishing village. I don't remember the name but it was worth it. Enjoy.

We did the June 10th sailing on the Glory a few weeks ago. I had no idea what to pack! I almost left our bathing suits at home thinking it would be too cold for swimming.

The day we departed Boston the lido deck looked like a Caribbean sailing! So did the following sea day. We spent two full days by the pool! The weather was gorgeous in the 80's.

Saint John was sunny in the 70's.

However, the next sea day was cold and raining. I forgot a light sweater and was freezing!

You really must pack for all types of weather. It stinks because it's a shorter cruise you think you can cut down on luggage but you really need to pack more than on a traditional Caribbean sailing.

Thanks for the comments and advice. I had a feeling I should pack some sweaters. My friend thinks I am crazy and it is July so it will be warm lol. Hopefully she takes my advice. I have only cruised once with rough seas and I awoke screaming we were sinking lol. Hopefully it won't be to bad. Regardless, I will have a great time. I will enjoy the spa more if it is chilly and hot drinks.:) Either way I am excited to escape for a short vacation away from reality.

• 2 months later...
Besides on board, are there any places to look out for liquor deals near the ports in Canada (St. Johns & Halifax)? The Carribbean has liquor stores that have good deals near the ports. I never heard of any good deals for Canada cruises.

[quote name='JohnSpo']Besides on board, are there any places to look out for liquor deals near the ports in Canada (St. Johns & Halifax)? The Carribbean has liquor stores that have good deals near the ports. I never heard of any good deals for Canada cruises.[/quote]

I live about an hour outside of Halifax.... the short answer is "nope"..

there may be a duty free liquor store in the cruise port area, but i doubt there will be any "great" deals there

Regarding the weather, I am still wearing shorts and t-shirts to work daily mid september, so it's not really cold here (not yet).

We did this the first week of October a few years ago and silly us thought it would be warm.

One of our stops was in portland maine and it had a LL Bean outlet.

We purchased a lined (with removable liner) winter coat. We wore it with liner several days on the cruise.

Are you going to St. John's or St. John? Posters have written about both... but they are different places pretty far apart! Cruise ships visit both.
St. John's will likely be more wet, windy and wild. Last summer, we had 'junuary' 'julember' and 'fogust'

In either case, you can never go wrong with having a rain jacket and dressing in layers.

If you're heading to St. John's, that's my neck of the woods and I'm more than happy to give you some advice and tips :)!

Archived