Problems on Infinity

iandjm

The pipes may be PVC, but the holding tanks aren't.
That was my first thought when I read the original post, but why wouldn't this same problem be plaguing everyone? What could be unique about the water supply to one or just a few cabins?

Further, as the ship both fills with land-based water supplies and its own "distillery" to different degrees based upon itinerary, it's always possible that they took on a load of gunk from one of their shore based providers. At a minimum, I'd insist on knowing what it was, rust or otherwise.

We've always had clear water on all of our trips.

Hey all!

Thanks for the replies! It's been great hearing from you all. This is Finn, the other guy in the affected cabin.

Lbackwith - don't worry, we ain't in 8117. :D

We have lots of photos, but none of us with crew. We didn't think that would be necessary, although we do have lots and lots of names of the people who have helped us (or not helped us, as the case may be).

A few of the crew on board have been REALLY nice. The Chief Concierge has been great. She organised the compensation we have received thus far, and has written a report to Head Office. Of course, we're still at it.

Hell, last night I was heading to our 'washroom' and saw the Chief Housekeeper outside it, talking on the phone and mentioning our cabin number. When we bumped into him about 5 minutes later, he was over-friendly, and had a memo with our names on. Oddness! Although we're so sure they're checking that we're using the other cabin to make sure we're genuine. Nice to think that we're untrustworthy brits, huh? ;)

We're gonna draft our letter to Celeb on-board, and start printing out the pics we have. We'll then send it recorded priority mail from San Fran, so we'll have proof that they've received it.

We're loving it though, it's like an American soap. ;)

Hell, we could do with some soap to get the room clean. *scrubscrub*

Down with X! :)

-Finn

Incredible story and I hope you get it resolved quickly and to your satisfaction.

We were on the Millennium in April on the Eastern Caribbean cruise and twice during our seven day voyage we had the tub/shower drain back flow water into the tub after completely draining. In both cases it was several minutes after showering while I was shaving and I noticed the backflow into the tub. It was not brown water but looked almost like trash including pieces of something which looked like leaves. I just rinsed them on down the drain.

It was ugly looking and I did not tell DW about it as she would have freaked out. Notwithstanding this we had the best cruise ever.

Good luck !

Canderson - totally agree with you. We have no idea why this problem is so localized to our cabin.

They're telling us precious little. Apparently someone on Deck 9 had a problem, but since it had cleared up, they assumed we had the same luck and fortune.

Our water seems a little better, but neither Ian nor I trust it. They haven't told us that anything has been done to fix it. They haven't told us that the problem has been fixed. Hell, they haven't told us one way or another if the water is considered SAFE. As such, even if the water has cleared up, neither of us are using it, and our faith in Celebrity is kinda shattered.

Which is a shame, since this is only our second cruise with the line (after many on others) and we REALLY liked it.

Ah well, what can you do, huh? :)

-Finn

Do I read correctly that you are from the UK? If so please do all you can to sort out the issue before you return to the UK. The greatest oxymoron ever is the Customer Service in Weybridge- I am still waiting for a refund of an overcharge to my account one month later!! Lots of emails but no action - and they have no authority to deal anyway Good luck and hope it all gets sorted soon

Canderson - totally agree with you. We have no idea why this problem is so localized to our cabin.

They're telling us precious little. Apparently someone on Deck 9 had a problem, but since it had cleared up, they assumed we had the same luck and fortune.

Our water seems a little better, but neither Ian nor I trust it. They haven't told us that anything has been done to fix it. ...[snip]...

Ah well, what can you do, huh? :)

-Finn

If things appear to be somewhat isolated to your cabin, I'd let the bloody water run for a couple of hours to see what happens. If it works, the hundred or so gallons was going to have to be run anyway. If you're neighbors aren't dealing with this problem now, there's no reason at all that a continous flow won't clean it up eventually.

As an aside, odds that there is anything "unpotable" about the water are pretty slim. That said, you KNOW that there's the ability to do water testing by Engineering since they would be doing this for the supply mains. Insist that the standard test be applied to a sample of the water in your own cabin. If it does indeed to turn out to be a heavy concentration of iron, and has mysteriously remained isolated to a couple cabins in your area, let it flow until clear. There's just not that much pipe between you and the mains that it won't eventually flush out. Having to walk the length of the ship for a shower is a nuisance. Then again, there's some advantage in having twice the closet space available, eh?

We had the same problem on both the Summit and the Millennium. One day, we walked into our suite during the afternoon and both the jacuzzi on the balcony and the tub in the bathroom were full and the water was dark brown. The cabin steward told us that they were sanitizing the system. Afterwards, when we filled up the jacuzzi, there was a brown ring around the top of it. We just decided not to use it since we thought it was residue from whatever they used to sanitize it. That was on the Summit. We filled up the jacuzzi on the Millennium and again, had the brown ring around the top. I never noticed anything discolored in the sink or the shower. If they had been discolored, I would definitely have lodged a complaint.

Why are we complaining? Simply because we booked a suite with the intention of being able to use the bathroom. Instead we have a some 3rd world arrangement of having to walk the length of the ship to shower. Anyways we wanted to use the bath we have in the suite not a shower! I thought clean water was a norm not a luxury. Give us one cabin that works correctly and we will be happy.

Why are we complaining? Simply because we booked a suite with the intention of being able to use the bathroom. Instead we have a some 3rd world arrangement of having to walk the length of the ship to shower. Anyways we wanted to use the bath we have in the suite not a shower! I thought clean water was a norm not a luxury. Give us one cabin that works correctly and we will be happy.
Any news on a request for a water test, and did you have a chance to try running the water (all cabin taps) for 30 mins or so?

Boten- shame on you:D Couldn't you at least put one of those ;) things after your post! Otherwise people won't know you're just a cuddly teddy bear in a peanut shell with a sarcastic sense of humor.

Or am I wrong?:o

Hey all!

Thanks for the replies! It's been great hearing from you all. This is Finn, the other guy in the affected cabin.

Lbackwith - don't worry, we ain't in 8117. :D

-Finn

Thanks Finn for the reassurance - and I hope they sort it for you soon!. I too am from the UK and contrary to the other UK poster, when I was overcharged in error recently for a shore excursion, Celebrity Surrey were very good and called me a couple of times to ask if the money had been refunded from Celebrity Miami, who they had been chasing.... So they the UK office do get my thumbs up.

Good luck! Linda

(Thanks Joan! :) )

Dear Ian,

I am so sorry to hear of your problems on the Infinity. I am shocked and very disappointed that Celebrity is not doing everything within their power to fix the problem A.S.A.P. It is totally unreasonable to expect you to bath down the hall. The mold in the shower is equally disturbing. Have they attempted to clean it?

We are booked in a Sky Suite as well on the Infinity 6/9 sailing out of San Francisco. I am rather concerned. I am very particular about cleanliness.

I hope they remedy your situation very quickly. It is ashame that you have to deal with such problems during what I am sure must have been a much anticipated cruise.

I understand if you are unwilling to share, but I am curious to know what SS you are in. Are other Sky Suites having the same problems?

[font=Book Antiqua]Consider buying three small bottles of water on the ship. Empty the water out of the bottles. Turn the water on in your suite bathroom, then fill up the bottles, one after another. Seal the tops. Put labels on all three. Initial the labels, with date and time of sampling, and suite number, and, ideally, have an unrelated witness who observed the bottle emptying and filling, preferably a Celebrity person, also initial the bottles. [/font]

[font=Book Antiqua]Give one to the ship's engineering department, or whoever the most senior cooperative person you've encountered is, and ask that the ship test the water. Refrigerate the other two until you can take the other two ashore. Send one to a lab, and ask for tests for potability to be run. Refrigerate the other bottle to preserve evidence. Let us know what happens.[/font]

Well we were offered a £900 ($1600) voucher off a Celebrity cruise today by Celebrity uk. This seems a little stingy between 2 people given all the hassle we had on the cruise. I will be turning down the voucher, I find it insulting really.

Ian

Did you actually have the brown water the whole cruise or did you just decide to remain bathing down the hall? We had it for a short period while we were on board Infinity and never asked for or received anything.

The water was brown on and off all the way thru the cruise. I did not mention the mouldy bathroom grouting and dirty rusty balcony did I? It was well below the standard of Millennium last year. The problem you experienced is apparently caused when they allow the water talks to drain to low before awapping to the next. Ian

Onboard? well we normally are when on a cruise :eek:

Standards are slipping. I would never expect not being able to use my own bathroom in a suite on a ship at Infinity's supposed level. I have been on 23 cruises and never had such a problem. Hygene is the most basic commodity these days. $1600 ok? you must be joking. The voucher is only of any value if you book another cruise with Celebrity.

Ian

Sounds just like our last Princess cruise (Royal Princess) where you have a suite but no butler, water is tepid for showers, a smell from the sink that makes you want to add to it, and then the wonderful exploding toilet all over walls, floor, even coutnertops & no one cleans it & we are to sleep there?

"X" you can eat off the floors, no mold anywhere, no foul odors at all on M Class we;ve been on, and that wonderful green glowing toilet tells me we are safe for another day without smells or puking toilets.

[quote name='Drink-in-Hand/Toes-in-Sand']Poor Ian! Sorry you're having a terrible experience. We had similar bad luck on Century last year and got ABSOLUTELY NO SATISFACTION on board from the purser, head of guest relations, and concierge. Had to wait until we got back to home sweet home to write a scathing letter to Celebrity Cruise Lines. After being treated like scum aboard the ship we finally managed to get a satisfactory resolution with customer service. We're going to give Celebrity another try this summer, but if that turns out anything like our first experience we're done with them. Best of luck to you! :([/QUOTE]

I would love to say I agree with your ""X" you can eat off the floors, no mold anywhere, no foul odors at all on M Class we;ve been on, and that wonderful green glowing toilet tells me we are safe for another day without smells or puking toilets" Comment but the mould was totally disgusting, and in a sky suite too. If you want any photos just ask

Ian

And the question was did they ever clean the mold or did they just leave it the whole cruise? I'm amazed. I've been on 37 cruises, 18 with Celebrity and when there is a problem they have taken care of it. There obviously is a problem with the water appearing brown. We saw it too. Obviously it hasn't hurt anyone and I doubt if hygiene has anything to do with it. I've never been on another cruiseline where they clean as consistently as Celebrity and I've been on many good ones. If things were as disgusting as you describe, I would have gotten off the cruise and flown home and then really had a complaint. How could you continue to subject yourself to such dreadful conditions?

Archived