Just back from my first solo cruise that ended up not being solo

zpdw484

I just returned from the june 24th sailing of Freedom of the seas. I am a 28 yr old male and I originally had this trip planned as my first solo cruise. Anyways, plans changed and my sister and brother in law ended up going also. We had a great time as expected. I did spend a lot of time doing my own thing (trying not to be a total third wheel). I eat by myself many times, spent lots of time at the pool, etc. and at no time did I feel "out of place" by any means. It actually seemed much much easier meeting people when I was out doing my own thing. By the end of the week it finally hit me that the only time I felt somewhat "out of place" was when I was with my sister and BIL and the third wheel. Don't get me wrong, we had an absolutely great time, and they did nothing to make me feel this way. But after this trip I now have total confidence in doing a solo cruise next time. So I guess to cure this extreme case of PCD I am now experiencing, I will have to start planning my next cruise, which will more than likely be a solo cruise. I am thinking about booking a studio cabin on the Norwegian Epic for next April

Glad you had fun!!! I did my first solo to Alaska in May and had a great time. I have a couple more cruises booked for this year and I'm planning to try the epic studio out next year too.

Pleased to hear you enjoyed your semi solo experience. I agree with you that you interact more with other passengers than you do when you have people with you. I'm not sure if it's because I make more of N effort, or other people try to engage you when they see you on your own or a combination of both. It's certainly my preferred way of cruising.

This is great news. Glad you had a great time. Totally understand how you felt in regards to your sister making you feel. I've had a similar situation. It very may have been because you had semi solo experience on the ship that then over turned and freedom taken away when with them doing something when you wished you were doing something else but didn't want so say something on fear of hurting their feelings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Please excuse typographical errors.

• 2 weeks later...

It's good to hear that you had a great time. Like anything sailing solo is a lot of fun as long as one goes into it with the right mindset which it seems that you most certainly have. Enjoy planning your future trips!

I did my first solo cruise last Sept. A short 4 day and I had a ball. Met some great people, did the things I wanted to do when I wanted to do them. I have a 6 day on the Valor coming up this Sept. I love crusing and if my friends are not able to go then it's always the solo option.

Archived