Comfortable athletic sandel for bunions

I'm looking for an athletic sandel for my Panama Canal cruise in November. I have bunions on both feet and need something that will not rub or cut into them. I am hoping someone with a similar foot problem has found something that they can suggest. I need them to be cool and washable as we are doing shore excursions in rain forest, etc. TIA

Try footsmart.com and just browse by condition ie: bunions. They will show you many designs and companies. Reviews are written by verified owners of the shoes. My bunion = my own research. What works for my bunion might not for yours and unfortunately what works on the left doesn't always on the right:(.

I particularly like privo (might be a clarks brand), orthoheel flip flops, and some no name shoes I got in Hawaii that were the best ever. If you haven't tried it yet might experiment with sizes and widths (Wider might work better). The trouble with lots of shoe stores these days is that they have medium width only and thus can't try on there. Also try SAS shoe store -- lots of sizes but some a little old lady like. Also try Bass Pro Shop (lots of shoes for water activities), outfitter and outdoor sports stores have lots of brands. I've even been known to try men's sizes -- run wider but heel is wider too.

Know your feet and go forth to conquer. Once you find the size then deal with how they look. My feet reject cute at all costs. The cuter the shoe the higher the pain. Dumb feet!:o:D

I bought some Keen Whispers in beige before our PC cruise and love them. Have bunion plus feet get hot so these worked great for me to wear instead of tennis shoes. Good supportive footbeds, also. They dry fast when they get wet. I did wear lowcut socks with them when we went on hikes just because felt more comfortable that way.

Loved them so much I now own a second pair in Beet plus some Whisper Slides that don't have the back straps plus some Bali style ones. One thing is that sizing varies in Keen styles.....I usually wear a 9 and that's what the slides are but bought a 9.5 in the regular Whisper and prefer the Bali in an 8.5 although 9 is okay.

Best thing is that I ordered them from Zappo's and they have free shipping/ returns/exchanges and are the most delightful people to deal with in their customer service (I prefer to call rather than just order online but that's just me). Have bought from Footsmart for years but like Zappo's better and they carry all the major brands and I think more styles so you could try a few that look like they might work for you. It's as painless as I've found for ordering and returning. The others people have mentioned are good shoes; they just haven't worked as well for me although do have some Merrells and Tevas.

Good luck and enjoy the Canal.......It's a fabulous trip! We also enjoyed individual tours we booked at ports so found some nice tour guides. I have a hotmail account with this name if you're interested.

Don't know how to put a link on here but either go to Zappo's site or just do a search for Keen women's sandals (they make men's, too) and look through the styles. It's worth reading the reviews of those you like the looks of.

I also have bunions but it really is a hereditary foot shape for me so I have had it all my life. I can recommend Keens. I have a pair and they are very roomy in the toe box and have a covered toe cap to protect your feet. I ended up wearing them while walking all over NYC in July. I have a very difficult time finding shoes that don't put pressure on that bone.

With protective toe cap shoes just be sure to get them long enough! As your feet swell during the day, they take up more space and your toenails hurt if they are up against that cap. I too like a small thin sock on even with sandle shoes -- there is less friction.

For a rain forest, you will want closed shoes...not sandals, if you're hiking about!

That's not true. I've hiked in rain forests in sandals plenty of times without any problem.

My mom and I both have bunions (and she's had surgery) but our feet are still different. Merrells work best for her, and I currently have Tevas (with a cap toe - Keen sandals don't fit my feet but Tevas do) and Propet (no cap toe). I love the velcro straps are adjustable in multiple places......

I have a genetic predisposition toward bunions, but teaching for 34 years really did them in. Now that I'm retired, the bunions don't feel or look nearly as bad.

Privo by Clark worked for me. What's nice about that brand, is that they come in very up to date styles.

I have a genetic predisposition toward bunions, but teaching for 34 years really did them in. Now that I'm retired, the bunions don't feel or look nearly as bad.

Privo by Clark worked for me. What's nice about that brand, is that they come in very up to date styles.

Hall and lunch duty and standing for hours on end! Yup bad feet times 43 years of teaching and you have worn out feet. First I wore out my patience then I wore out my feet!:p New pair of Merrill clogs are feeling good.

Ah, sandals and bunions. Unfortunately, a subject too familiar to me. I also have very wide flat feet and need a high toe box, so finding any shoes that don't kill my feet is a huge challenge.

Take a look at Teva or Columbia water sandals with adjustable straps that don't wrap across your most sensitive areas. This summer I discovered Orthaheel sandals with really good arch support, absolutely wonderful. I'm not sure if they have a style that would be suitable for jungle hiking. You need really good support all the way around. I've never tried Keen or Merrell because they just don't look like they would work with my feet.

Good luck and please report what you decided on, it would be helpful to others like me with bad feet.

Ah, sandals and bunions. Unfortunately, a subject too familiar to me. I also have very wide flat feet and need a high toe box, so finding any shoes that don't kill my feet is a huge challenge.

........... I've never tried Keen or Merrell because they just don't look like they would work with my feet.

quote]

You might take a look at or try on some Keens. Some styles come in W.

They have a pretty roomy toebox but not huge. Sometimes order a half size up; I also have flat feet and bunions and they work for me.

I have bunions and have used Merrell slides for years. The style I like is no longer made, though, and the new closest style lets the bunions stick out too much.

For me, I have to try on and walk around quite a bit to see what works. It's very much trial and error. Curse bunions! I'm lucky that mine actually don't hurt that much, except with overuse. They just look awful. Another teacher here, plus a grandmother with the darn things.

To the person with flat feet; Merrells may not work for you. I have high arches and they are great for me, but my SIL has flat feet and can't wear them at all.

Take a look at Teva or Columbia water sandals with adjustable straps that don't wrap across your most sensitive areas. This summer I discovered Orthaheel sandals with really good arch support, absolutely wonderful. I'm not sure if they have a style that would be suitable for jungle hiking. You need really good support all the way around. I've never tried Keen or Merrell because they just don't look like they would work with my feet.

Good luck and please report what you decided on, it would be helpful to others like me with bad feet.

I love Orthoheel shoes and have 4 pairs. Unfort. they do not have a complete line of shoes but the ones that I have are comfortable for all day wear. Flip-flops, mary janes, and clogs all are working well for my wide flat foot with bunions and flexing high arch (high arch that falls down flat with pain:( )

In looking for the same type of shoe you're seeking I found the Orthaheel Muir athletic sandal. It has adjustable straps and orthotic-type arch support. I've been looking for sandals with really good arch support for 20 years, this brand is superb. I'm definitely going to order a pair. Prices range from $80 to $110 on this style depending on the color you choose, google around for best pricing. Available in 3 colors: taupe, green, and lavender. The uppers are leather, so probably not suitable for rappelling down waterfalls or walking through streams. In this brand be sure to size down if you're a half size.

In looking for the same type of shoe you're seeking I found the Orthaheel Muir athletic sandal. It has adjustable straps and orthotic-type arch support. I've been looking for sandals with really good arch support for 20 years, this brand is superb. I'm definitely going to order a pair. Prices range from $80 to $110 on this style depending on the color you choose, google around for best pricing. Available in 3 colors: taupe, green, and lavender. The uppers are leather, so probably not suitable for rappelling down waterfalls or walking through streams. In this brand be sure to size down if you're a half size.

A word of caution. The style that you are talking about has gotten poor reviews on both zappos and footsmart. Just not a particularly well made or good looking shoe. I am fortunate that there is one small specialty store that has some sizes and styles of Orthoheel. I have seen the athletic sandle in brown and green but have not tried it on. Not a nice looking shoe.(straps too narrow and high, small little patch of hook and loop to attach strap to shoe, shoe felt flimsy in the hand) I would and did spend my money on the maryjane style instead. I have had a pair for 18 months and have worn them on planes (with jobst travelers socks and still comfortable) and on 3 cruises as my only "dress shoes" and in real life for church, shopping, and just general wear. They look new, feel great and have worn very little. I can wear them all day and never have a problem. They look nice, clean up with a damp cloth and best of all feet and legs don't hurt.

On trips I only carry 3 pair of shoes -- New Balance gray, Orthoheel black maryjanes and Merrell clogs or orthoheel thong sandles that can slip on at night for bathroom runs as well as for general wear. Orthoheel has my complete loyalty -- so much more comfortable than the custom orthodics which I find very hard. And of course the styling of Orthoheel comes close to looking like shoes you would choose even if your feet weren't a problem. :p

I love Orthoheel shoes and have 4 pairs. Unfort. they do not have a complete line of shoes but the ones that I have are comfortable for all day wear. Flip-flops, mary janes, and clogs all are working well for my wide flat foot with bunions and flexing high arch (high arch that falls down flat with pain:( )

I was going to reccomend Orthoheel too - comfy AND cute!

Archived