Carib Princess - October Sailing to New England/Canada

jill5269

We took the Caribbean Princess to Canada/New England two years ago in September. There had been recent hurricane winds up into the northeast coast before we sailed, but the sailing was a breeze. Beautiful ship, beautiful countryside, beautiful people. Enjoy!

I've sailed that area twice in October & have never experienced any severe conditions. However as already mentioned it is hurricane season & there is no way to predict it.

I would recommend bringing some sort of seasickness remedy & my seasickness prone wife has tried various types. For her the one that works best to prevent seasickness is the generic form of Bonine which is meclizine & available over-the-counter. Obviously they'd have to check with their doctor or pharmacist to see if it would create any sort of problems. With the help of meclizine my wife has enjoyed dozens of cruises including experiencing hurricane force winds and seas in excess of 20 feet which certainly are not routine. :)

The only time I've been sea sick in 8 cruises was out of NYC to Canada in late Sept. It was only our second cruise and I let the TA put us in the front. Since then, I book direct and pick a cabin mid or aft. It was a great cruise once I got over the first sea day.

We live in Maine on the coast and are out on the water often. More than not the water is great..... HOWEVER, two of the three roughest times I have ever had afloat were in these same waters. That includes 300 plus days afloat on Princess and Lord knows how many afloat in the US Navy.

Odds are you will have fine weather and smooth sailing... like others have said. Be prepared for a roll or two.

Hurricane season? Doesn't that not start until November?
??? Maybe in the southern hemisphere, not in the northern Atlantic.

Hurricane season has already started and the fourth named storm, tropical depression Daniel, is just winding down. The worst hurricanes seem to be in August and September but the same year as Katrina, an even worse hurricane, Wilma, hit FL the end of November 2005.

We did a transatlantic on the Queen Mary 2 in early Oct 2011 right after it had completed a New England/Canada cruise. The weather between Quebec & New York was bad enough that other ships turned back north of PEI but the QM2 was able to maintain its schedule.

Archived