Teachers discount on Celebrity...what a joke

inforem

1. OP, I hope you're not teaching your students to think "it's not FAIR". Life isn't fair and that's what they should be taught. It makes them better prepared to deal with the world.

2. I'm tired of hearing teachers whine that they don't make enough money; you chose your profession knowing full well you wouldn't get rich doing it. Sure, you make a difference, but so do a lot of other people and they don't get extra reimbursement for doing so.

3. Those of you who don't understand that the discounts are an attempt at increasing revenue as opposed to a pat on the back for any particular group, please don't ever teach classes in business or economics.

4. I'm waiting for the discount that applies to stay at home middle aged women, originally from TX, now living in GA, who have three teenagers at home and have gone back to college to finish their degree. If there's an additional discount for having two dogs, a cat, and two goldfish, I'll take that as well. :D

Just curious--why do teachers need the discount more than other hard workers ? Teachers in NJ are very well paid with unbelievable benefits. I don't mind the different discounts that are offered but no group should feel that a discount is an entitlement.

Well stated.

Just curious--why do teachers need the discount more than other hard workers ? Teachers in NJ are very well paid with unbelievable benefits. I don't mind the different discounts that are offered but no group should feel that a discount is an entitlement.

As so many others have stated, it is a marketing decision on the part of the Cruise Line to offer teacher discounts, not an act of social responsibility. In terms of filling up ships and maintaining the bottom line, it is probably as effective a strategy for Celebrity as Senior discounts, or Residency discounts, as teaching professionals are a large target group.

My daughter is a grade 5 teacher, so I understand some of the reasons why a teacher discount would help to make it possible for her to take a cruise, and it has nothing to do with her feeling entitled.

It's just a fact that cruise fares are higher (sometimes two to three times higher) when children (and therefore teachers) are out of school. Any discount that helps to bring those high fares more in line with what I would pay, as someone who is not restricted to any particular time of the year, is going to make it more feasible for her to sign up for a cruise.

My daughter has absolutely no flexibility to cruise at times when children are in school and fares are lower. Unlike her sister, who can select her vacation dates at any time of the year, in order to obtain pricing that will fit within her budget, a teacher cannot. Although the teacher has some option to take discretionary days off, she must do so without pay, and the reason must be serious or unavoidable. School districts, and teachers themselves, are VERY averse to disrupting the continutity of students' education by removing their regular teacher from the classroom.

Even as a parent who would like to treat my daughter to a cruise, the pricing during the times when she could take a cruise is so much greater than the times at which I could cruise, that it is hard for me accept that I have to pay twice as much for the same product. The Teachers discount will even help to persuade me to look at gifting her with a cruise.

So if Celebrity wants to get my teaching daughter onto one of their cruise ship, offering the Teacher discount will help. And none of this has anything to do with her thinking that she is entitled.

As so many others have stated, it is a marketing decision on the part of the Cruise Line to offer teacher discounts, not an act of social responsibility. In terms of filling up ships and maintaining the bottom line, it is probably as effective a strategy for Celebrity as Senior discounts, or Residency discounts, as teaching professionals are a large target group.

My daughter is a grade 5 teacher, so I understand some of the reasons why a teacher discount would help to make it possible for her to take a cruise, and it has nothing to do with her feeling entitled.

It's just a fact that cruise fares are higher (sometimes two to three times higher) when children (and therefore teachers) are out of school. Any discount that helps to bring those high fares more in line with what I would pay, as someone who is not restricted to any particular time of the year, is going to make it more feasible for her to sign up for a cruise.

My daughter has absolutely no flexibility to cruise at times when children are in school and fares are lower. Unlike her sister, who can select her vacation dates at any time of the year, in order to obtain pricing that will fit within her budget, a teacher cannot. Although the teacher has some option to take discretionary days off, she must do so without pay, and the reason must be serious or unavoidable. School districts, and teachers themselves, are VERY averse to disrupting the continutity of students' education by removing their regular teacher from the classroom.

Even as a parent who would like to treat my daughter to a cruise, the pricing during the times when she could take a cruise is so much greater than the times at which I could cruise, that it is hard for me accept that I have to pay twice as much for the same product. The Teachers discount will even help to persuade me to look at gifting her with a cruise.

So if Celebrity wants to get my teaching daughter onto one of their cruise ship, offering the Teacher discount will help. And none of this has anything to do with her thinking that she is entitled.

Excellent Elana!

My wife is a teacher, and I'm a retired teacher. We always cruise during her winter break. This year, we are doing a BtoB on the Silhouette; we booked last year while cruising on the Millennium.

We could have used the Teacher Discount, however, we would of lost all our onboard credit, and in the long run the cost was a wash. Inside cabins (Cat 12) on the Xmas cruise are over $1,400 pp + Taxes, and the New Years cruise is over $1,100pp + Taxes. An off-season cruise would be nice, but it won't happen for us until my wife retires.

All of our "breaks" are periods of unemployment; teachers are not paid for days they aren't at school. My wife gets one paid vacation day a year; it's labeled "a personal day".

Enjoy!

Kel:)

Archived