Teachers discount on Celebrity...what a joke

inforem

Every cruises you will find people who paid less, and got more OBC than you received. To be sure I enjoy my cruise and not stress about what other people SAY they spent I only book a cruise when the price is what I am willing to pay for that cruise.

By the way, those that keep asking why some group is or isnt getting a discount seem to forget that all of us, at least in the USA and Canada, have a shot at the discount wheel-of-fortune (or wheel-of-a-minor-discount), which is why they ask you for your State/Provence residence. It pops up every once in a while as a discount, which highlights the whole point many are trying to make on this thread which is: they give discounts to Fill the Ships, not honor or recognize or help or whatever some special group. It's called a Hook! Unless of course, they have a preculiar love for Deleware and are ignoring Ontario..I do that all the time!

Kind of like so many companies making a big deal of making a contribution to some charity....big blowup of the check....lots of cameras and people standing there, and the amount is usually very very small compared to the bonus of the executive handing it over. But that is just fine, at least they do it. But it is for business...publicity. No matter what our Supreme Court and some politico's think, a company or corporation is just that, an inanimate entity, not a 'person' and it doesnt 'care'. Maybe a company of the self-employed, or a CEO/owner who really cares about their local community, but not most businesses.

Heck, at my local movie house, they have ticket discounts for students, military and seniors, and I get a better discount for reaching Geezer than I do for all the military time...makes sense since (love to use those two words togehter - just love English and how it must drive other people nuts!), there are more Oldsters than military to get into the movies. Its called Business.

Enough. Hope everyone gets some good deal....but as Poolreader warned us, there is someone on that ship that got a better deal than you did, and is itching to tell you....beyond tacky, well, almost as tacky as asking!

I'm starting to pontificate way too much and need to reflect on the good things in life.......Ahhh the word "Reflection"....I'll be on Her in less than 4months. So I'll keep thinking about enjoying my cruises instead of worrying if someone is out there with a cheaper ticket.

Den

Some people might get a better price. Some people might get a better cabin. Some people might get a better table in the MDR. I'm just going to sit back and enjoy my cruise . Solstice in 15 days :)

Those stats are deceptive. Many Seniors have little income, but live well due to their investments. My Mom had SS income of $10000 per year, but lived mainly on her investments.

I have read that Seniors are the wealthiest age group in the USA.

AARP includes investment income in their calculation. So does the government when takes are due. Tragically, many seniors do not have any investments to gain income from. Those of us who do, and can afford to travel regularly, are fortunate.

Is there any way to tell which cruises have various kinds of discounts (I'd mostly be interested in the senior one) without having to go the the booking process and get waiting to see if it pops up? For example, is there a search mechanism or website that lists the cruises that have the discount and for which states?

Tom

There is a large online travel agency which has that feature. We are not allowed to give the name here but you could try some google searches to find it. When you register with them, you give age and state and then whenever there is a discount for seniors or your state it pops up. There may be other categories you can register for, but those are the only two we fit in to. Good luck finding it.

Do you believe everything you read? :eek:

teajak,

No, but I have read this in several publications.

Here is something for you to read:

http://news.yahoo.com/us-wealth-gap-between-young-old-widest-ever-050259922.html

US wealth gap between young and old is widest ever

WASHINGTON (AP) — The wealth gap between younger and older Americans has stretched to the widest on record, worsened by a prolonged economic downturn that has wiped out job opportunities for young adults and saddled them with housing and college debt.

The typical U.S. household headed by a person age 65 or older has a net worth 47 times greater than a household headed by someone under 35, according to an analysis of census data released Monday.

While people typically accumulate assets as they age, this wealth gap is now more than double what it was in 2005 and nearly five times the 10-to-1 disparity a quarter-century ago, after adjusting for inflation.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2007-05-20-cover-generation-wealth_N.htm

"

The old are richer

Most wealth accumulation happens rapidly and late in life — after the kids leave, when income is high, debts drop, 401(k) accounts fatten and home equity swells, according to Fed data.

The safety net — Social Security, pensions and Medicare — also has resulted in big increases in income for the elderly and a sharp decline in the rate at which they dissipate their assets in old age. Most people over 60 have no mortgage debt, no credit card debt and no car loan.

Trends for younger people have gone in the opposite direction. Mortgage debt peaks for people in their late 30s, the same time they have the most kids at home. About 11% are at least 60 days behind paying on some debt.

Younger generations now delay the start of wealth accumulation. They postpone careers to get more education. They marry later (delaying the financial benefit of a shared household), have children later (delaying the arrival of lower-cost, kid-free days) and inherit money later (their parents live longer).

Younger people may not look poor. They have more stuff than ever — more valuable houses, cars and other assets. But they are so much deeper in debt than their parents — student loans, credit cards, mortgages, car loans — that their net worth has shriveled.

What's not clear is whether today's younger people will catch up. Will they reap financial rewards late in life as their parents did?

"Young people have a great future ahead of them, but the rules of wealth creation have changed," says economist Kay Strong of Bowling Green State University in Ohio. She says young people will have to work longer and switch jobs more often than their parents for financial success.

"The baby boomers were the last generation able to ride the old industrial economy that let you hold one job for a long time and retire with a pension," says Strong, 54. "The new economy is going to require people to adapt, hold more jobs over a lifetime and give up the concept that you will retire at 62."

My point is you have the option, where most do not. H

I don't have the "option" because I don't have the money for a month long cruise. Furthermore I don't expect to. I'm grateful to be able to take a cruise when I can, and I certainly appreciate any break in the price I can get.

I agree. Even though I don't feel "entitled" to a discount, I will happily (and gratefully) take one when they are available.

Tom

I don't have the "option" because I don't have the money for a month long cruise. Furthermore I don't expect to. I'm grateful to be able to take a cruise when I can, and I certainly appreciate any break in the price I can get.

AARP includes investment income in their calculation. So does the government when takes are due. Tragically, many seniors do not have any investments to gain income from. Those of us who do, and can afford to travel regularly, are fortunate.

Ditto! H

OK, Sorry.

What you are saying is "if" you won a trip fully paid for, and you had to go on a six week cruise from late June to early August, then you could go because you have the option of getting six weeks away from your job. Would this be more accutate. H

...........Heck, at my local movie house, they have ticket discounts for students, military and seniors, and I get a better discount for reaching Geezer than I do for all the military time...makes sense since (love to use those two words togehter - just love English and how it must drive other people nuts!),.........
This Geezer reference reminded me of the time we were staying in a cottage at a safari resort in Africa years ago. In the middle of the night, we were awakened by loud pounding on the door. We opened the door to a man shouting repeatedly

"Your geezer is broken!"

Of course we did not have the slightest idea of what he was talking about. We thought he was drunk or high on something. Then we turned around and saw that water was leaking down inside the cabin from above.

The "geezer" turned out to be a water tank on the roof of the cabin that was leaking, so we had to pack up and move in the middle of the night.

Fortunately for us, the first time we got stopped at a roadblock and a scary-looking heavily armed guard asked us to open our boot and bonnet, we already knew what he was talking about and immediately complied.

No way would we have wanted to give that guy a hard time.:D

As for the debate about which types of discounts are justifiable and which are not, the correct explanation is quite simple

A good, fair and reasonable discount is any for which I am eligible.

An unfair and discriminatory discount is any for which I am ineligible. ;)

OK, Sorry.

What you are saying is "if" you won a trip fully paid for, and you had to go on a six week cruise from late June to early August, then you could go because you have the option of getting six weeks away from your job. Would this be more accutate. H

No, to be more accurate, you are the one "saying" not me. I'm just grateful you decided not to do any "teacher bashing." :rolleyes:

No, to be more accurate, you are the one "saying" not me. I'm just grateful you decided not to do any "teacher bashing." :rolleyes:

Again I am just laughting to my self, Yes it was a retorical question as I am very sure you are very intelligent and if someone made you that offer it would be hands down yes. But I admire the way you spin things to not admit the obvious. I very much like teachers. Most are very into their jobs.

I once won a free cruise for two rooms in the 1994. I had a friend without a lot of money, and she had Hodgkin's lymphoma cancer. However during her treatment she became bald. I asked her to go on a cruise to brighten up her spirits. She said I am not leaving the house. I smiled at her and gave her a brochure. She was a very dear friend. She was the kind of lady that would look at something amazing and say in a deep southern accent "oh myyyyy god". I told her we were going on a 7 night cruise on the Monarch of The Seas and we would like her to share our good fortune and go with us, and it was free. She said OMG in her southern draw and then said she needed hair. Never saw someone so excited. I said no problem as Joyce would take you and buy you a wig. She came on the cruise and we have since cruised together many times. The end of the story is that while I was the one that wanted to lift her spirits I think I ended up with the blessing. First time I had ever told that.

So you have a great Alaska cruise. H

As for the debate about which types of discounts are justifiable and which are not, the correct explanation is quite simple

Well said!

Yes!

Funny how this thread got nasty. Usually spend time on the Carnival board and the tone here has became very familiar.

Not a knock on Carnival or the CC Carnival board but I was expecting deep and profound discussions here.;)

teajak,

No, but I have read this in several publications.

Here is something for you to read:

http://news.yahoo.com/us-wealth-gap-between-young-old-widest-ever-050259922.html

US wealth gap between young and old is widest ever

WASHINGTON (AP) — The wealth gap between younger and older Americans has stretched to the widest on record, worsened by a prolonged economic downturn that has wiped out job opportunities for young adults and saddled them with housing and college debt.

The typical U.S. household headed by a person age 65 or older has a net worth 47 times greater than a household headed by someone under 35, according to an analysis of census data released Monday.

While people typically accumulate assets as they age, this wealth gap is now more than double what it was in 2005 and nearly five times the 10-to-1 disparity a quarter-century ago, after adjusting for inflation.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2007-05-20-cover-generation-wealth_N.htm

"

The old are richer

Most wealth accumulation happens rapidly and late in life — after the kids leave, when income is high, debts drop, 401(k) accounts fatten and home equity swells, according to Fed data.

The safety net — Social Security, pensions and Medicare — also has resulted in big increases in income for the elderly and a sharp decline in the rate at which they dissipate their assets in old age. Most people over 60 have no mortgage debt, no credit card debt and no car loan.

Trends for younger people have gone in the opposite direction. Mortgage debt peaks for people in their late 30s, the same time they have the most kids at home. About 11% are at least 60 days behind paying on some debt.

Younger generations now delay the start of wealth accumulation. They postpone careers to get more education. They marry later (delaying the financial benefit of a shared household), have children later (delaying the arrival of lower-cost, kid-free days) and inherit money later (their parents live longer).

Younger people may not look poor. They have more stuff than ever — more valuable houses, cars and other assets. But they are so much deeper in debt than their parents — student loans, credit cards, mortgages, car loans — that their net worth has shriveled.

What's not clear is whether today's younger people will catch up. Will they reap financial rewards late in life as their parents did?

"Young people have a great future ahead of them, but the rules of wealth creation have changed," says economist Kay Strong of Bowling Green State University in Ohio. She says young people will have to work longer and switch jobs more often than their parents for financial success.

"The baby boomers were the last generation able to ride the old industrial economy that let you hold one job for a long time and retire with a pension," says Strong, 54. "The new economy is going to require people to adapt, hold more jobs over a lifetime and give up the concept that you will retire at 62."

Thank you,I must say I totally agree with this and many factors have contributed to it .As an 84 year old watching friends and neighbors struggle to pay for medications and daily needs I see the other side.Sorry to have gone off the cruising part and become so serious.I will take any discount the cruise lines care to give me,happy cruising.:);)

The above could describe all sorts of occupations, not just teachers. I can't recall the last time I went on a vacation without taking work and keeping in constant touch with work while gone. I take work home regularly and certainly can't take off on vacation whenever I want.

I'm not going to bash teachers -I appreciate those who give it their all and make a difference in kids' lives. I don't think people really mean to bash teachers... they just wish teachers would realize that there are a lot of other people out there that work hard too.

I don't have a problem with teachers or anyone else getting a discount. It's just marketing. No biggie. I just worry about what's available to me. If I don't like the price... I don't buy it.

:eek: I totally agree! Money, money, money and good marketing go hand in hand. Celebrity is only looking at revenue! They do not care about your occupation.:D

This discount isn't offered for cruises taken during the summer only, as it goes into the spring of next year. It only had to be booked during the summer.

This is just another case, sadly,of someone believing that out there somewhere people are getting a better deal than they are and getting their nose out of joint over it. "why do people in Florida get a deal on this cruise?" "why do people over 55 get a deal and I don't" "why do crew members' families get a discount and I don't?" "why do new bookings only get a discount and I don't" and on and on. I hear the voice of a certain Wonka-factory-touring little girl ...... You know the one!

There isn't anything "bogus" about the deal. It has certain restrictions and while you didn't qualify many other did and are still able to use it. There is another thread on this board where several people report saving money because this one worked for them. IMO it's a Welcome thank-you. Other than a couple of large bookstore chains, I can't come up with many places that give any kind of teacher discount, ever.

Well said. We are not teachers, but our friend is. We booked a cruise with them for 2013 school vacation week, and when I saw this I was happy to tell them so they could save a little, even though it doesn't apply to us. Sounds like the vineyard worker story in the bible...sour grapes.

This Geezer reference reminded me of the time we were staying in a cottage at a safari resort in Africa years ago. In the middle of the night, we were awakened by loud pounding on the door. We opened the door to a man shouting repeatedly

"Your geezer is broken!"

Of course we did not have the slightest idea of what he was talking about. We thought he was drunk or high on something. Then we turned around and saw that water was leaking down inside the cabin from above.

The "geezer" turned out to be a water tank on the roof of the cabin that was leaking, so we had to pack up and move in the middle of the night.

Fortunately for us, the first time we got stopped at a roadblock and a scary-looking heavily armed guard asked us to open our boot and bonnet, we already knew what he was talking about and immediately complied.

No way would we have wanted to give that guy a hard time.:D

So your saying the slang for an elder male is derived from leaking water in Africa? Hmmm... :confused::o:D:D

Please forgive me, but why should teachers get a discount?
Funny. My kids always start a insult by saying "No offense but...."

As many others have said this discount comes from RCCL's marketing department.

Everyone/ no one deserves a discount. Seniors, previous customers ,police and yes teachers all get a discount

if the cruise line decides to give one. I don't believe one group "deserves" discounts more then another.

Look at it as a directed bonus such as OBC. If you qualify, good.

Funny. My kids always start a insult by saying "No offense but...."

As many others have said this discount comes from RCCL's marketing department.

Everyone/ no one deserves a discount. Seniors, previous customers ,police and yes teachers all get a discount

if the cruise line decides to give one. I don't believe one group "deserves" discounts more then another.

Look at it as a directed bonus such as OBC. If you qualify, good.

Perhaps the teachers discount assumes what the common perception is in that its hard work and the pay is less than what it should be. Doctors do a lot of good too but I don't think you'll see an MD's discount because of the perceived financial compensation they receive.

I know some teachers and for me I am all for them getting a discount.

Perhaps the teachers discount assumes what the common perception is in that its hard work and the pay is less than what it should be. Doctors do a lot of good too but I don't think you'll see an MD's discount because of the perceived financial compensation they receive.

I know some teachers and for me I am all for them getting a discount.

All true and am happy that my wife gets the teachers discount but would not touch with a 10 foot pole who "deserves" a special discount

and more importantly, who doesn't. I believe it is about a marketing department making a marketing decision.

Many people work hard for so so pay. I get very uncomfortable about rewarding specific segments of society while neglecting others.

All true and am happy that my wife gets the teachers discount but would not touch with a 10 foot pole who "deserves" a special discount

and more importantly, who doesn't. I believe it is about a marketing department making a marketing decision.

Many people work hard for so so pay. I get very uncomfortable about rewarding specific segments of society while neglecting others.

Very true. It would be like opening Pandoras box.

Archived