Teachers discount on Celebrity...what a joke

inforem

While "bogus" may be extreme I definitely see OP's point. This could be a nice offer for retired teachers who are not constrained by school calendars.

Teachers still working are very limited as to when they vacation. If they cannot go in the summer they are pretty much limited to holiday weeks which are usually much more expensive to cruise.

This time the military discount came up for me, yeah. I am a senior and have never been able to use this discount to bad so sad, oh well at least I qualified for one. Oh Manitoba has never gotten a discount until the Canada discount came up about 2 weeks ago. So is it unfair that Florida gets tons of discounts especially after final payment dates (to fill up ships) Should I complain because I am a proud Canadian ( oh, pardon me, no!),:D:)

Opinions that are dead wrong will result in responses challenging that opinion.

Just for your information, opinion CANNOT be wrong, only facts can be wrong!

Let's see...should my next post be about chair hogs, formal night or unruly kids? Those should get the ire up of people.

You got it backwards. OPINIONS can be wrong. As in my opinion the moon is made of green cheese. FACTS cannot be wrong. As in the fact that the moon is smaller than the earth.

I'll ignore the rant as I have just retired, and I promised myself and my family not to get irate over the teacher complaints commonly heard in our society today. I'm just thrilled that finally I will be able to travel without the outrageous plane fares! My question for the board is whether or not the teacher discounts apply to balcony rooms. A mention was made in the offer that it applies to inside 12 and Z rooms. I couldn't find anything on the Celebrity site that categorizes the rooms with those headings. Any help would be appreciated. :)

Still "bogus" like so many other "deals" from Celebrity. Military,firemen and police get deal year round from what I understand. Why not everyone else? Why not give the discount to everyone who works for some sort of industry? It is used to entice people to a "bogus" deal!

It's akin to the "Tuesday Specials"!!!

Well, if you aren't the embodiment of the entitlement mindset! Since when do teachers fall into the same category as military, firemen and police? And before you protest, I spent many years teaching in an inner city school where there were days we often felt we were in fact putting our lives on the line.

OP:

I'm one who booked in June for a cruise in August. I really appreciated a discount and will take that joke all day long.

As Denny said, discounts for teachers is simply good business. Just ask people you meet on cruises during school vacations what they do and you'll hear "I'm a teacher" over and over again. Teachers are a prime market for all travel businesses. If doctors, lawyers, carpenters, etc. were a significant demographic for cruiselines you could bet that thre would be discounts for those folks as well. Celebrity is not saying teachers are more deserving than others, they are saying their more vital to their business model.

Just for your information, opinion CANNOT be wrong, only facts can be wrong!

You got it backwards. OPINIONS can be wrong. As in my opinion the moon is made of green cheese. FACTS cannot be wrong. As in the fact that the moon is smaller than the earth.

Sadly, the first quote is from a TEACHER!!! :eek:

To inforem: I pity the poor kids who are at the mercy of your misinformed, attitude riddled, opinions. What else do you teach your students? That the earth is the center of the universe? That right is really wrong? That black is actually white? That truth is really a lie? :rolleyes:

To inforem: I pity the poor kids who are at the mercy of your misinformed, attitude riddled, opinions. What else do you teach your students? That the earth is the center of the universe? That right is really wrong? That black is actually white? That truth is really a lie? :rolleyes:

I recommend reading the chapter on "Fact-Inference Confusion" in Levels of Knowing and Existence by Harry Weinberg. Really the best theory of "factual' information I've seen.

My question for the board is whether or not the teacher discounts apply to balcony rooms. A mention was made in the offer that it applies to inside 12 and Z rooms. I couldn't find anything on the Celebrity site that categorizes the rooms with those headings. Any help would be appreciated. :)
The discounts may apply to all or one category. I search for discounts by doing a mock booking. You just search for the cruise you've booked and look at the category of your cabin. If there is a discount, it will show in a lower fare and the words "Best Rate Applied" right under the fare. If you scroll your mouse over those words, it displays what the discount is for. For instance, "Based on exclusive offers for Military".

It is my understanding that it is a genuine legitimate discount...so why would the OP call it bogus? That person is a "teacher" correct?

Definition of BOGUS

: not genuine : counterfeit, sham

bo·gus·lyadverb

bo·gus·nessnoun

My point exactly from my above post...

The discount exists and is genuine...so why would an educator call it bogus?????

Just started looking for a cruise last night for spring break next year. Was thrilled to see this discount. Woo hoo!

I do not understand why they would even offer teachers a discount.
Not sure why anyone deserves a discount including military,fire, police and seniors.

If they offer a discount it should be a marketing decision which is fine with me. No one deserves a discount (except me).

Yep! The "entitlement" attitude in it's ugliest form.

The discounts should be considered a bonus, not an expectation. I have often taken advantage of various discounts on Celebrity. They come and go, and can pop up at anytime. I've had discounts for state residency discounts and senior discounts. If I don't get them on a specific cruise, then so be it. These discounts aren't a guarantee, only a bonus.

Like another poster said, hopefully you aren't teaching your students to have such a bad attitude. :rolleyes:

Agree.

Worked for my wife and I sailing in August. We were one of the "bogus" few who waited until July to book. Something MUST be wrong with us! :)

How do you know if they have a "teacher" discount. I don't see any blocks to check other than +55, Military, or Police/Fire/Resident???

I believe you have to call any travel agent or celebrity and ask for the teacher discount. I read that the codes are TCH1 for the $100, TCH2 for the $200 and TCH3 for the $300 discounts.

Will be booking soon and looking forward to receiving this bogus discount.

How do you know if they have a "teacher" discount. I don't see any blocks to check other than +55, Military, or Police/Fire/Resident???

On the Celebrity website click the top button that says "Specials"

The definition of bogus is counterfeit, fake or not genuine. The teacher discount offer is a GENUINE discount (just not one that applies to your particular booking), therefore, your opinion that the discount offer is "bogus", is in fact, wrong.

Although I don't like the title for this thread I'm glad more people are learning about the discount. There is another Celebrity thread on this topic: "Teacher Promo Anyone?" and the posts are mostly friendly. I was able to get the discount for next April. In all probability we will spend the money we "saved" on the ship at the speciality restaurants. I'm not sure how others feel, but I am reluctant to divulge my occupation lately. You just never know what kind of a response you'll get. Perhaps Celebrity realizes that teachers who travel use their experiences to enhance their teaching. Whatever the reason behind the discount I appreciate it. :)

If you don't understand that, then you'd not understand why they give any discounts, including ones you may be eligible for.....its called business and giving someone a 'deal'. And since teachers can only cruise during the Summer (usually), then they'd set it up for then.

They don't give us Vets discounts because they love us and want to honor us, they do it for business. If they 'loved us' so much, they'd let us cruise for free and make everyone else pay for it.

Den

I think you hit the nail on the head. Every discount given is paid for in some way by some body. If the cruise was all teachers, Celebrity would be disapointed with such a large loss in income and that discount would be a bad business decision.

They do not care if teachers cruise because they get a better discount. They just offer the discount to fill up the rooms they have not sold. Thus the June promotion. H

After reading this thread, I just want to add my thoughts.

I am a former teacher. For 33 years I never had a work free vacation!!!!!

I took school work on every cruise that I went on!!!

I did school work most every night and during the weekends.

Every summer I took classes and did preparation work!!!!

Most days, I had 15 minutes for lunch and as already mentioned, I could never go

to the bathroom when I needed to!!!!!!!

I could go on and one but I will stop here.

I only wish the people who put down teachers would go and teach for a week before they

state their opinions.

Expensive holiday cruises were the only time we could go.

A discount would have been wonderful!!!

Archived