Rookie Cruisers...4 adults.

TNDeb

Congratulations, Deb! Sounds like you're getting all of your ducks in a row.

The snorkeling in Grand Cayman is fantastic...have a waterproof camera ready to go.

My sister and I went crazy shopping on Duval Street in Key West--lots of terrific little shops and places to quench your thirst. :D

Keep reading this site for great advice, and keep an open mind about all of the possibilities. Oh, and get ready for some SPECTACULAR fun! I'm sure you're going to have a blast.

Congrats on booking!

On Grand Cayman I highly recommend the Reef, Rays and Rum Point tour with NativeWay. We did it in 2009 and had a fantastic day! We had about 20 people on the boat and were one of the first to Stingray City, which is an amazing experience. Then we went to a beautiful reef for snorkeling and then to Rum Point for lunch and beach time.

Our pictures are here is you're interested...

https://picasaweb.google.com/113053822212229957735/Day3GrandCayman?authuser=0&feat=directlink

Oh, and I know many will argue it is not required, but I would always suggest traveling with a passport. It is good for ten years and if something happens and you need to fly home, that is the only way.

We got ours done last week. The woman who processed us, said now is actually one of the best times of year and the govt may not be too backed up. You may get it in a few weeks rather than 6-10.

~Bob~

Got mine in less than four weeks in the past month

Per above: Check DeckPlanGenius.com

If you are sharing the costs, NCL and many other cruise lines have deals on larger suites - one luxury suite for 4 might be the same price, or less, than two standard cabins with more amenities.

We have stayed in some very roomy two bedroom suites....

Again as the above (some humorous but serious) posters say....don't share a regular cabin with bunk beds or hide-a-bed

To the O.P.

First off, I have skimmed a good deal of the responses.. I will also agree 100% about a cabin for 4.. NO!!! If you are smokers and going on Carnival, you can still smoke on your balcony however not in the cabin..

Carnival is trying a new thing on a few of their ships and if it takes, it will go fleet wide.. What it is is a unlimited drink card.. For about $50.00 PP PD you can drink all you want.. All persons in the cabin must sign up for it so there is no sharing..(Like what does sometimes happen with the soda cards;) )

We have sailed out of both Ft. Lauderdale and Miami and we always stay at the Comfort Inn on Stirling in Ft. Lauderdale.. It is next to the Hampton Inn that someone else posted.. bar on site, a cookout at night and a good breakfast bar in the morning.. They offer shuttle service to Port Everglades.. Also there is a Chipolte across the street..:D The hotel shows some signs of wear however the rooms are clean and the staff is super friendly..

Good luck and have fun..

Remember for your first cruise, pack half the clothes and twice the money.. Trust me, this will make sense once you return...:D

I missed this post on the first pass...

We're also looking at Comfort Inn Airport/Cruise Port South. It's within walking distance to K-Mart, restaurants and other shops and offers shuttle from airport and to port.

This is the hotel I was speaking of in my other post..

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

I'm a first-time cruiser. I will be leaving in March for a 7 day cruise on the Carnival Valor. Any advice about this boat would be appreciated, I'm really looking forward to it! Thanks for all the great tips that I've read. Is anyone out there going on this Cruise as well? We will be departing from Barbados om March 13.

How was the Carnival Valor?

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

You'll probably get more response to your question if you post a 'new thread,' rather than posting on a thread that is not specific to your query and is not current.

You may also wish to post your question on the 'Carnival' board. There will be lots of people there with good information for you.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
Thanks to everyone for your comment. I am now thinking 2 cabins would work better for us. We travel A LOT with the other couple and always split a room, but the one comment about one bathroom + noro virus...no thank you!

All 4 of us are 49-51 in age.

For excersions, I'm thinking more of the sight seeing type.

Since we're all cruise rookies, we thought a 5 day would be a good starting point. Me personally, I'd LOVE one that lasts longer.

As for shopping, Hubby and I will celebrate our 25th Anniversary in 2014, and he's promised me some jewelry. I've heard prices are good in the islands, and he would be game for taking advantage of that.

You did not mention your "budget"........

If you really like sharing, possibly visit different cruise lines websites.

DH and I have stayed in many suites (mainly NCL for us) which would be good for four, most have a main bathroom with a smaller guest bath, 2-3 "rooms" - usually a king or queen bed and a queen sofa bed. And TONS of storage etc

*Walks in, kicks cruise counter...walks back out.*

Kick mine on your way!!!!

We really need to book something! Sept is just toooo far away!

Vegas in June......*sigh* guess we will "Cruise The Strip".....

Edited by SMerritt

Kick mine on your way!!!!

We really need to book something! Sept is just toooo far away!

Vegas in June......*sigh* guess we will "Cruise The Strip".....

I kicked your counter. TWICE! :p

Will the June trip to Vegas be your 1st time there? If so, I HIGHLY recommend the "O" show at the Bellegio, and Freemont Street is a MUST do!

The counter is FINALLY below 100...and to say i'm getting excited is an understatement. I've found a good deal on Allegiant Air that will get us to FLL 3 days before we sail and 1 day after we're back. $302 per person, non-stop. Even with the additional motel room, this was a better deal. The flight is out of Knoxville and that's less than an hours drive for us.

Speaking of motel, we'll be staying at the Comfort Inn Airport/Cruise Port South on Stirling. 3 nights for $143 per couple.

Now, I have a dilemma, a good dilemma, but dilemma nonetheless. I have been dieting since Feb 1, and have lost 18 lbs as of this morning. :D My winter clothes are falling off of me, and I know my summer clothes will be worse. So now...I'm gonna have to buy something to wear on this cruise. *BIG CHEESY GRIN*

I missed this post on the first pass...

We're also looking at Comfort Inn Airport/Cruise Port South. It's within walking distance to K-Mart, restaurants and other shops and offers shuttle from airport and to port.

This is the hotel I was speaking of in my other post..

We stayed ther a few weeks ago and found it a bit shabby. Much newer hotels across the road and next door.

~Doris~

• 3 weeks later...

79 days and counting!

So I called the TA this week to pay the balance on our cruise. I gave her all the info she needed and when I checked my account, the amount was lower than our original balance. Seem our cruise was $442.00 lower than the original price. HOW COOL IS THAT?!?!

I've started 3 lists...Things to do, Things to buy and things to pack. I'm working on getting all our documents copied. Are there any tips or advice from the seasoned cruisers for a rookie cruiser?