tipping with kids?

how much do you usually tip the Camp Carnival workers? do they get paid a regular wage and what we tip them is extra?

because i know my kids will probably not eat in the dining room can I NOT tip the waiter the kids portion? I have a 13 year old and a 6 year old, i know they can make a mess in the room so the room steward will work hard for his tip! :)

And the no.1 response will be - 'but the dinner waiters also work on other parts of the ship during the day and thus are serving you (whether directly or indirectly) in that manner'. So you still need to include your children in calculating your wait staff's tips.

Not only the full amount, you may find you will tip more.

The room steward will probably go out of his way doing those special things for your child, as well at the dining staff, where ever your child eats. This is in addition to their normal duties.

But don't decide now. Wait and see the service you get.

If the kids never eat in the dining room, then don't tip the dining room staff for the kids. However, someone is feeding your kids. Do they deserve a tip?

If you are really concerned about being fair, just let carnival charge your S&S card the typical amount and the money will be distributed. You really can't do much more than that other than hunting down eat person who possibly helps in some way and tipping each one - very unrealistic.

i don't know about tipping the camp carnival people.

ok, so I guess my main concern is if it is expected that I give the Camp Carnival folks an additional tip and if so how much shuold that be? I know I will give them something but I want to be fair about it.

Chatty - the counselors, unlike the dining, bar and stateroom staff, do not "expect" a tip. If, however, you just love the service provided to your 6 y/o (I doubt your 13 y/o will have much interaction with the counselors) then by all means tip.

There is usually only 2 or 3 counselors per age group and I will give them between $10-$20 each depending on their interaction with my son.

Full tips to the dining room staff regardless of where your children eat. These people also work in the buffets during the day and do not get compensated directly for their work there, just in the dining room. If you let them bill it to your S&S, then you can think it is getting evenly distributed to the people that waited on you during the course of the cruise.

im sorry Chatty: but please reconsider tipping the waiters for the kids.. for one-- you will have two seats empty in the dining room. (no fault of the waiters) You could also request through your agent--not to place your children in the dining room assignments, and I am sure your children will be eating someplace on the ship. The waiters and bus people are waiters and asst waiters who work thelido deck on their off time.

You could also request through your agent--not to place your children in the dining room assignments,

Nobody asked me, But (Going WAAAAY out on a limb here) I would not recommend this. For whatever reason, OP doesn't think her children will dine with. IMO, I think OP should ask/request/insist that the children dine with in the Dining Room. They'll get quality time together as a family, can use the children's menu if they are picky eaters, or may learn they like Escargot.

Plus, if OP drops the children from their dining plans then they can NEVER eat together unless the all do Lido, etc. Besides, if the children aren't going to eat with where will they eat? ON first day at sea the Camp isn't open yet so will children be eating on Lido solo? There is also at least one other night (itinerary dependent) Camp Carnival doesn't feed the children. Once again, if you're comfortable with the 13 y/o being responsible for feeding the 6 y/o than it's not a problem...

Not trying to tell OP what to do, just throwing out some thoughts and my opinions which may be worth slightly more than $1.298

My kids LOVED eating in the dining room! I was not sure the first time we cruised how this would work out but even my DS - 5 yo at the time - loved it! When planning cruises since then my kids talk about dinner and clothes selection and tablemates etc.

That said....I would not take the tip off whether my kids ate in the DR or not. The waiters work very hard. They are amazing actually! Somehow they remember our names, how we like our meat prepared, what coffee we prefer etc.

Personally, I consider the tips that I pay during the week a nominal cost that is simply part of expense of travel. If you follow Carnival's tipping to your sign and sail I am willing to bet that if you worked it out the amount that you pay in DR tips is less than what you would pay based on the standard 15-20% at a restaurant. Not to mention the fact that even when you eat in the buffet there is wait staff there clearing tables and serving the food

So my 2 cents on that part is....just pay the tip.

As far as Camp Carnival....I just went with my gut on that one. Have not used it recently but in the past I have given tips to counselors that I thought were great.

My kids ate with us a few nights, the waiter brought a kids menu for the younger two (sort of like Applebee's) with crayons. Some of the items on the kids menu were not available at the buffet (like mac and cheese, and chicken fingers). Sometimes the kids are so overwhelmed by the cruise experience that familiar dishes help them feel better. It was nice that my 3 yr old could have chicken fingers w/fries and I could eat a nice meal with table service (as opposed to me waiting in 3 different lines, getting the kids their "stuff"). We still left the full tip amount on the sign & sail card.

Archived