Barcelona transfer question

IowaGirl1

Hello,

We are sailing on the Quest on July 27 from Barcelona to Rome. (I'm so very excited!) Anyway my travel agent reserved a van transfer for us from the airport to our hotel, Hotel Arts Barcelona. This would be for myself & my husband. We will probably have 2 suitcases not overly large, carry ons & a wheelchair that folds. The quoted price for the transfer is 160 Euros & it can be charged to our room.

In my research I have contacted a company called Auto Vilar that has given me a quote of 50 Euros.

Does anyone have any experience in Barcelona with transfer? I've not been to Barcelona before, but 160 Euros seems high....however if that is the going rate, I'm content to pay it. But what do you think? Is 160 Euros too high?

Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks so much!

Jenny

I admit that for a private van it's about right. One thing I did was hire the transfer company to include a tour of the city before dropping me off at the hotel. That way I got the 'lay of the land' so to speak and did not arrive at the hotel so early that my room was not ready.

Hello,

We are sailing on the Quest on July 27 from Barcelona to Rome. (I'm so very excited!) Anyway my travel agent reserved a van transfer for us from the airport to our hotel, Hotel Arts Barcelona. This would be for myself & my husband. We will probably have 2 suitcases not overly large, carry ons & a wheelchair that folds. The quoted price for the transfer is 160 Euros & it can be charged to our room.

In my research I have contacted a company called Auto Vilar that has given me a quote of 50 Euros.

Does anyone have any experience in Barcelona with transfer? I've not been to Barcelona before, but 160 Euros seems high....however if that is the going rate, I'm content to pay it. But what do you think? Is 160 Euros too high?

Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks so much!

Jenny

Last time we went through there, we were able to get everything inside a cab. Had to remove the wheels from the chair, but the driver got everything apart from the handluggage inside the trunk. Can't remember the price, but probably under 50 euro

Cheers, Atle

If you take the overview of the city, I would just stay inside the van. I would not want to carry any valuables around with me nor leave them in the van unattended.

During your stay, keep the valuables and the passports in a safe.

The Hotel Arts is a very nice hotel. We've stayed there. It's in a quieter place of the city.

Keith

160 Euros is an outrageous price in a city where taxis are plentiful, reliable and reasonably priced.

Hotel Arts has a good reputation although it can be pricey. However, I would never stay there as I prefer the area up around the Diagonal.

A little over a year ago, we took a taxi from a La Rambla area hotel to the airport. Three adults, 3 suitcases and a fold-up wheelchair plus purses, carry-ons, etc. The price was under 40 euros but I gave the driver 40 euros and told him to keep the change. There are many small taxis that would not hold all this but it seemed as if about every third or fourth cab was of a larger variety that would hold everything fine. I really think you would be fine getting a taxi after you arrive.

This is really great information, everyone. Thank you.

I'm going to see if we can do a driving tour of the city after pick up from the airport. If we cannot, I think we may just go with a taxi. Sounds like if we are patient, we will get a taxi for a very reasonable price - at least compared to 160 Euros!

Thanks!

This is really great information, everyone. Thank you.

I'm going to see if we can do a driving tour of the city after pick up from the airport. If we cannot, I think we may just go with a taxi. Sounds like if we are patient, we will get a taxi for a very reasonable price - at least compared to 160 Euros!

Thanks!

There are loads of taxis at the airport.

After flying all night, why not just head to the hotel (make sure they have a room available). Freshen up, maybe even have a couple of hours sleep and then do a tour of the city.

IowaGirl: Several years ago, we arrived at Barcelona airport with friends on our way to picking up a cruise. Among us we had a lot of luggage! We stood in the taxi line (to the right as you come out of the terminal) There is a coordinator and this person will monitor the taxi situation. I am sure he will motion a van for you, as he did for us, with our mountain of luggage. I have found anytime that you book a car from the hotel it is much more expensive....I save these for "iffy" situations. Barcelona is easy. Have a great cruise.

IowaGirl

One way to see the city is to utilize the "Hop on-Hop off" busses that have several routes around the city. Google up Barcelona Hop on - Hop off busses and you'll find all the info you need. The busses have plug-in ear pieces, and you select the language you prefer. We did this last April and enjoyed it very much. Most of the big cities have these busses and are quite inexpensive.

Hope this helps!

I would wager that your TA booked the van through the hotel which is always far more expensive since the hotel takes a big cut. Ask your TA if he can find an independent transfer service and I bet the rate will be much lower.

IowaGirl

One way to see the city is to utilize the "Hop on-Hop off" busses that have several routes around the city. Google up Barcelona Hop on - Hop off busses and you'll find all the info you need. The busses have plug-in ear pieces, and you select the language you prefer. We did this last April and enjoyed it very much. Most of the big cities have these busses and are quite inexpensive.

Hope this helps!

I have done the hop-on/hop-off bus tour in Barcelona and it was a great way to get an overview ... but I would not recommend it for someone who uses a wheelchair or has limited mobility. The best views are from the top deck of the double-decker bus, the stairwell is steep and narrow, and the buses are always packed.

I would check online for private tours with an English-speaking guide or be prepared for a tour with a taxi driver who speaks basic English.

We paid 20 Euros to Le Meridien....easy - had a van for the 2 of us since we had a fair amount of luggage. Also 20 on the return... be sure you get a metered cab...but I think they all are.

We second the Hop On/Off bus...the 2 day ticket was quite a deal & takes you to so many of the highlights. BCN is also a GREAT walking city!

IowaGirl -- My wife, 15 year old son and I just stayed at the Hotel Arts Barcelona after our cruise on the Quest. I arranged for transportation directly with the hotel concierge via their website. We paid EUR 148.15 for the trip from the hotel to the airport. The Hotel was fabulous. We typically opt for the club level with a growing boy who is constantly hungry (Dad does not mind it either). We had stayed at the Waldorf property in Rome at a club level and Barcelona was superior. The Ritz has never disappointed at the club level.

I've cancelled the original transfer which I found out was something that the TA had set up through the hotel. I did book a transfer with Autos Vilar for 50 euro. Normally we'd just do the taxi but since we'll have some luggage & I'm in a wheelchair, hubby would like to know there is someone waiting for us when we land.

Thanks for all your input & thoughts! It was very helpful!

Archived