Independence Mine

kenmii

Hi there-

We will be driving from Anchorage to Denali and back (last week of august). I have noted to stop at the following:

1) Thunderbird Falls

2) Eukultna Spirit House (sp?)

3) Palmer - Reindeer farm and alaska state fair

4) wasilla

5) talkeetna - will spend a day

Anywhere else we should stop or skip? Where is there a great dog kennel?

Reviews are so mixed, I am confused.

I am now hearing about the Independence Mine and the Matsu Visitor's center. How difficult is it to get there, how far of a detour from the road to denali and how long should i plan to be there (estimate)?

We don't have a lot of time, but I want to see what my options are and decide, or play it by here depending on weather, everyone;s mood etc...

Thanks!

Palmer is also a detour from your route. What you have listed would involve a few days.

The State Fair is at least a half day. Independence Mine is at least 3 hours. There is also the Musk Ox Farm, and the Sled dog headquarters in Wasilla, with the bargain of Alaska cart rides. :)

At Eklutna, I highly recommend taking the tour, if just stopping, you have no idea what you are looking at. Thunderbird Falls is OK, but would be at the bottom of my list, if time is a factor.

What is your interest in Talkeetna?? Flightseeing is the forte, rafting is OK. It doesn't fill a day for many people who don't tour.

Budget Queen-

Thanks... If I do Independence mine on the way there and return to visit Wasilla and Palmer, will that work? I think the reindeer farm is in wasilla and the musk ox in palmer?

Also, is the iditarod HQ in wasilla recommended?

Thanks!

Budget Queen-

Thanks... If I do Independence mine on the way there and return to visit Wasilla and Palmer, will that work? I think the reindeer farm is in wasilla and the musk ox in palmer?

Also, is the iditarod HQ in wasilla recommended?

Thanks!

No they are both outside of Palmer- raindeer/muskox.

The Iditarod museum is a quick look if of interest?

if you're spending a day in Talkeetna does that mean you are overnighting there on your way to/from Denali ? If so that would give you more time for the other sights you listed. If not, you really don't have that much time. The drive time between Anchorage and Denali is about 6 hrs.

It's pretty hard to say what someone else should drop from their itinerary. Everyone has different likes and interests. For instance I wouldn't stop in Talkeetna except to flightsee; others say the town is a must see because it's so scenic and charming.

I'd skip the Reindeer Farm; I always see caribou in Denali. But you won't see Musk ox in the wild.

Thunderbird Falls aren't that spectacular but if you have time it's nice spot to stretch your legs.

If you don't have time for the tour, the Eklutna spirit houses are still worth a stop; very unique culturally. Less than 5 minutes from the hwy exit.

If your visit to the State Fair is to see the enormous flowers and vegetables, there's a great display by the Palmer Visitor Center/Museum. They have a large garden with gi-normous cabbages etc.

There's a free sled dog demo in Denali. 10, 2 and 4. Personally I don't like to see dogs chained up to little huts so I avoid dog kennels, but the Park's exhibit is actually well done and the miniature log houses for the dogs are pretty cool. I've read good reviews of the Husky Homestead (Jeff King). near Denali.

I've only approached Independence Mine coming from Glennallen and we overnighted in Palmer so I'm guessing about the drive time from Anchorage. Probably an hour to Palmer then another 1/2 hr to the Mine, then an hour to visit. Kind of a big detour if you're driving to Denali the same day, but it depends on your travel style. I'd do it but if you have little kids it might make for a long day in the car. Oh, I just remembered this link . http://alaska.org/driving/hatcher-pass-drive.htm

Send for a free Visitor Guide of the Matsu Valley. http://www.alaskavisit.com/

One more question.. I thought I saw a post about unpaved roads etc.. we will have a mini-van, will we have any trouble driving to the Independence Mine? I think we plan to go on our way up to Denali.

Open this link for the Glenn Hwy. Next to the map you'll see the words "Matsu Valley Vicinity'. Click on that for a good little map of the Palmer area; it clearly shows you the road to Independence Mine as well as the Hatcher Pass Rd to Willow which is the one car rental companies don't want you driving.

http://www.milepost.com/highway_info/glenn_highway

(you really should buy a Milepost. Get a 2009 edition from amazon for under $10)

And another link about independence mine. This is from the Matsu Valley Visitor Info site: http://www.alaskavisit.com/visitors/itineraries/scenic-drives-and-rv-trips/hatcher-pass-road-and-independence-gold-mine/

If time gets short would others also suggest Musk ox over reindeer farm? We have also planned a stop at the wildlife conservation center. (group of adults, no kids in our party) Thanks in advance for recommendations!

We were at the Musk Ox farm in early June--very interesting place--takes about an hour at the most. We did not go to the reindeer farm.

The Elkutna spirit houses and churches are well worth a visit--we were the only ones there and had a great chat about the history of the place with the guy who was on duty at the gift shop.

Open this link for the Glenn Hwy. Next to the map you'll see the words "Matsu Valley Vicinity'. Click on that for a good little map of the Palmer area; it clearly shows you the road to Independence Mine as well as the Hatcher Pass Rd to Willow which is the one car rental companies don't want you driving.

http://www.milepost.com/highway_info/glenn_highway

(you really should buy a Milepost. Get a 2009 edition from amazon for under $10)

And another link about independence mine. This is from the Matsu Valley Visitor Info site: http://www.alaskavisit.com/visitors/itineraries/scenic-drives-and-rv-trips/hatcher-pass-road-and-independence-gold-mine/

Thanks! I'll look to get a milepost. It's too bad that you can't drive the Hatcher Pass Road to Willow. I have to drive back to Wasilla and back on the Glen Highway ? :eek:

Thanks! I'll look to get a milepost. It's too bad that you can't drive the Hatcher Pass Road to Willow. I have to drive back to Wasilla and back on the Glen Highway ? :eek:

Yes, you only access will be from Palmer side. BUT, to get to Wasilla, via the Fish Hook Rd is your route, when wanting the Parks Highway.

Try your library for a copy of THE MILEPOST.

ok.. one more silly question!! Is the postings I am seeing about Hatcher Pass being a beautiful drive. Is it the same as the Hatcher Pass that is unpaved?

Thanks

There is only one Hatcher Pass. Willow- Independence Mine is unpaved, and not allowed by most rental contracts. Independence Mine - Palmer is paved.

The scenery is definately superior on the unpaved section, but still good on the paved. Reason to go there would be to get into the Mine museum.

We've gone to Martin Buser's Happy Trails Kennels in Big Lake twice and LOVED the very personsalized experience! Martin is such a fascinating, interesting guy who clearly adores his dogs and they return the sentiment. Hearing about life on the Iditarod trail, visiting his recreated checkpoint tent, and getting to handle (and even try on!) his subzero gear was such fun. Of course we got to cuddle puppies, and pet as many of his working dogs as we wanted. Plenty of time for one-on-one conversations with Martin about the sport of mushing. Just loved everything about this tour, which is why we went twice, and may go for the third time next June if all works out! I also hope to visit Jeff King's kennel near Denali, and maybe Seavey's near Seward if I can fit it in.

And yes, the Iditarod Headquarters (Wasilla) is indeed worth the stop, we spent a couple of hours there and really enjoyed seeing the Reddington dogs and talking to the handlers, touring the museum and watching the short films they show throughout the day. Again, handling the puppies didn't suck either;)! Have a wonderful time!

• 4 weeks later...
There is only one Hatcher Pass. Willow- Independence Mine is unpaved, and not allowed by most rental contracts. Independence Mine - Palmer is paved.

The scenery is definately superior on the unpaved section, but still good on the paved. Reason to go there would be to get into the Mine museum.

To clarify, what road shoul I take from Anchorage to Ind Mine, and then to get to DEnali. I still am a bit confused...

To clarify, what road shoul I take from Anchorage to Ind Mine, and then to get to DEnali. I still am a bit confused...

Take the Glenn Highway out of Anchorage to mile 49.5 (just the other side of Palmer) and take Palmer Fishhook (it will be a left turn, and there is a sign). That road will take you to the entrance to Independence Mine. To get to the Parks Highway and be on your way to Denali, you have a choice...take the road over the pass (which will have about 15 miles of unpaved road), or return back down the mountain and take a right turn on Wasilla Fishhook, which will take you into Wasilla and straight to the Parks Highway instead of back to Palmer.

Take the Glenn Highway out of Anchorage to mile 49.5 (just the other side of Palmer) and take Palmer Fishhook (it will be a left turn, and there is a sign). That road will take you to the entrance to Independence Mine. To get to the Parks Highway and be on your way to Denali, you have a choice...take the road over the pass (which will have about 15 miles of unpaved road), or return back down the mountain and take a right turn on Wasilla Fishhook, which will take you into Wasilla and straight to the Parks Highway instead of back to Palmer.

What's the difference timewise from taking the unpaved road vs returning the way we came to Wasilla Fishhook? Is it a horrible drive and not recommended?

Thanks!

What's the difference timewise from taking the unpaved road vs returning the way we came to Wasilla Fishhook? Is it a horrible drive and not recommended?

Thanks!

It's not a horrible drive, but gravel, but, please remember most of the rental car companies will not allow you on unpaved roads, which would include the road to Hatcher Pass off the Parks Highway getting off around Willow.

Also, you may not realize but some (if not all of the major ones by now) car rental agencies now have GPS on their cars and can monitor where you take them. So, if they say, no unpaved roads, that's what they mean.

Susan in Anchorage :)

Archived