Concerns about the Mariner

Mudhen

OK I am old fashioned. And (at present anyway!) British. Not, I think stuffy... but I personally hate to see people in jeans and hawaian shirts at any time. I put up with them in the day time since that (along with huge "baskets" or "trainers" or "sneakers") seems to be the American uniform these days and many nice people, including some who have posted on this thread choose to wear them. But I regret enormously the change in dress code on Regent. I liked the old rules that called for men to wear jackets in the evenings and ties if possible! And I miss the formal nights. Ah well! I am in a minority I suppose. (neither Ken nor I even own a pair of jeans!)

Frankly if a cruise line has a dress code it is known to people when they choose that line and they should be prepared to stick to it. If they don't want to then they should choose another line. Nowadays there is really no dress code except that shorts and jeans and t-shirts are not acceptable after 6pm. Is it really a hardship to go along with that? I don't think so...but then I am certainly old fashioned!!

Funny how stuff gets turned around. As the original poster, I don't remember about asking for the dress code. I never would. I know the can of worms that opens up....been there, done that. However as a sort of generally laid back kinda gal, it's always amazing to me to see how REALLY upset people get over that. To my way of thinking, if it appears to be a "dressy" ship ( read the catalog) than, get "dressy". If it's "resort casual" (read athe catalog) then do the that deal. In all honesty, I adhere to the middle of the road. A long black skirt, white silk top and a dressy wrap or huge scarf, and some nice jewelry will pass for Formal. Take off the scarf, scale back the jewelry and you're "resort casual".......big deal. Some of our most interesting conversations on ships have involved who's wearing what. Bottom line to me, is how many of the passsengers are way out of line? On Regent, could it be that 5 people showed up in jeans in the dining room? I bet never that many. It's not gonna spoil my cruise!

Now that's over..........how 'bout smells on deck 9?

Great post Mudhen ! As for the smells, I find it depends upon your fellow cruisers (no pun intended). We have found, on a few of our cruises someone had decided to put something down the toilet that should not go down the toilet. You suddenly find you cannot flush. The sanitation engineers are quickly working on the problem, so it doesn’t last long.

No one can say you will not experience a smell. We have cruised in the Seven Seas Aft and the Horizon Suites. No smells.

Take a chance. You will enjoy your cruise. The Regent Crew (a very nice group of people) will guarantee you will enjoy your cruise.

Thanks Seven Seas!

I know we'll have a great time. I'm still giggling about the 3 pages that a simple question generated......at least 2 of them telling us how we should or shouldn't dress...LOL!

Thanks Seven Seas!

I know we'll have a great time. I'm still giggling about the 3 pages that a simple question generated......at least 2 of them telling us how we should or shouldn't dress...LOL!

I'm surprised that Host Dan didn't stop the off-topic posts that went on and on and on. I do hope that you have a odor-free sailing on the beautiful Mariner.

Thank you for all the responses! I'm sure we'll have a great time! My daughter and I recently did a Med. cruise on Crystal Symphony in April. I was extremely impressed. The bar is set pretty high. I will be interested to compare the two line. Who ever wins this "smack down" will get us for next years Baltic/ St Petersburg run!

These days I find myself mostly rolling my eyes and extremely disinterested in most topics here. . .but, I must SHOUT LOUDLY that I adore you, TheSeaAroundUs!

I love intellectual snobs in general, but when i find an intellectual that's sweet rather than snobby, well, include me at the top of your fan club. . .in fact, I may run for president of your club. Please forgive me for not being close to your equal in eloquent writing. Seriously. You are the best.

I do believe that Mark Conroy subscribes to one of my favorite rules (this from a non-rules follower), and that is to avoid wasting valuable time on exceptions. Why spend so much time on exceptions? I need to say that again. Why spend so much time on exceptions?

After all, the discussion (here and on another thread) about the fabric of clothing (denim) that covers probably less than 5% of people is indeed an exception. I believe there must be a rule that states that if 5% or less don't follow a rule, it must indeed be an exception.

Furthermore, given the age data of most Regent cruisers, I think we can breathe a sigh of relief that there is no danger of a slippery slope, at least when it comes to fabric and pants.

That said, I have seen my share of many non-denim fashion offenses on many luxury cruises. Ugh. Yet, I have still been able to choke down my steak. I wouldn't mind a fashion sheriff being appointed on each cruise. Send the offenders to their stateroom and lock the door!! ;)

In fact, if Regent wants to stay relevant I would say they need to overlook the fabric of the trousers and keep focused on continuing to play to those who can afford to pay the fare, regardless of the fabric of their trousers.

BTW, are denim collared Tommy Bahama shirts allowed?

Dearest Teresa, I fell quietly in love with you when I first read your posts, what, was it 8, 10 months or so ago? Such a refreshing, bs-free outlook on life you have, and when you comment, you actually have something worth saying. Your husband is a very lucky man, and probably just as cool as you are!

Thank you so much! This comment of yours has "made my month", despite the fact that there were other very special things happening too!

I wonder (and no, I'll not go to Wikipedia in the midst of commenting) -- again, I wonder just what it is that qualifies "jeans" as such.

I am going to imagine that it is the weave of the fabric itself, nu? I doubt it's the little key-pocket on the right side; not all have them; similarly with the rivets on the Levi's brand. *So*, I'm guessing that it must be the weave, a thickish cloth with a solid diagonal tendency visible on the surface.

If I wove some denim from white silk -- despite the alluring shimmer, they'd still stand out as "jeans", right?

If I wove the same out of spider-silk (have you seen the photos of that gorgeous landmark scarf?), it would take 40,000 spiders, I'd think. Still jeans? I guess so....

We just departed the Mariner on July 20 and yes we smelled it. When I reported it to the crew the man said that they had fixed the poblem in another area and would fix the smell in our cabin.. They did fix the smell however, I did notice the smell in the hall of 7 aft. I also noticed this smell in December 2010 when we were in 783 for 32 nights going from Cape Town to Ft. Lauderdale. Luckily, the odor was in the hall of 7 aft and not in our cabin.

Why does almost every Regent thread degenerate into yet more bickering about denim? Can we please stick to sewage? ;)

I tried to stop the off-topic posts a long time ago. Since they remain, it indicates that Host Dan has no problem with them. Actually, the first recent mention of jeans was from a passenger onboard the Mariner last week. It took on a life of it's own.

In terms to sewage -- what else is there to say? Some people smelled it -- others do not. I smelled sewage on the Voyager when waste was being offloaded. The answer to this question does not, IMO, require more than a handfull of responses. If your TA and/or Regent cannot answer the question, I doubt if CruiseCritic members have much to say beyond what has already been said.

yeh, 7 aft, that's where we smelled it last time on Mariner and i guess we're in for it again in our same cabin on July 27. it made me nauseated a number of times. (My husband smelled it, but wasn't much bothered.) btw, I, too, remember not smelling it in our cabin, but it was quite bad in the halls. I don't think this is a small matter.

Pray tell...... how do you weave white silk and end up with denim? Wouldn't you end up with white silk pants:confused:

If you re-read my post, Jackie, you'll see that (while I may not have worded it properly) that is exactly the question I ask.

What are "jeans"?

Is it the cut? Don't think so.

Is it the little key/change pocket on some brands? Don't think so.

Is it the rivets on some brands? Don't think so.

SO, it must be the fabric, itself, out of which the garment is fashioned . . . .

... and there you have the jumping-off point for my silk fantasies!

If you re-read my post, Jackie, you'll see that (while I may not have worded it properly) that is exactly the question I ask.

What are "jeans"?

Is it the cut? Don't think so.

Is it the little key/change pocket on some brands? Don't think so.

Is it the rivets on some brands? Don't think so.

SO, it must be the fabric, itself, out of which the garment is fashioned . . . .

... and there you have the jumping-off point for my silk fantasies!

You worded your post just fine. I couldn't resist making that response -- just meant as a joke.

yeh, 7 aft, that's where we smelled it last time on Mariner and i guess we're in for it again in our same cabin on July 27. it made me nauseated a number of times. (My husband smelled it, but wasn't much bothered.) btw, I, too, remember not smelling it in our cabin, but it was quite bad in the halls. I don't think this is a small matter.

Poss, would you mind sharing the cabin # affected by the "smell"? Thanks!

We were in a Horizon Suite in the stern. No vibrations were ever noticed except when thrusters were utilized.

Our neighbor in a Seven Seas Suite called asking if our suite had a sewer smell. We never smelled anything noxious with the exception of the smoky Pool Grill.

Archived