Pizza in Naples

Can'tstopcruising

The very worst pizza we have ever had was at a little restaurant right in front of the Pantheon in Rome 2 years ago. Burnt to a crisp and pretty much inedible! When we complained about it we were told we were paying for the view. They also charged $8 for an 8 oz bottle of coca cola!:eek:. Later we found a couple of great cafes just around the corner behind there. Now I'm very leery of having ANY pizza in Italy. We'll be in Naples in Oct.' date=' so I might get brave and try it one more time.[/quote

We had a favourite pizza place years ago. We had margherita on two different trips. If you are standing at the Pantheon, looking away, it was the first place on the left. This was many years ago.[/quote']

The one we were at was the second one on the left.....and I HIGHLY suggest you avoid it!

Now I'm very leery of having ANY pizza in Italy. We'll be in Naples in Oct., so I might get brave and try it one more time.

I can honestly state that I've never had bad pizza in Italy. Some have been better than others, but none really bad. I wish I could say that about some pizzas I've had in my own country.

I you like pizza, give it another try in Naples...

Enjoy your cruise...

Lew

Just a word about bad pizza and food in Italy. Unfortunately, it does exist and is a lot more common then Italians (or most tourists) will admit. We have driven all over Italy (from one end to the other in all directions) and spent a lot of time eating in this country. A good rule of thumb to avoid bad food is to simply avoid restaurants/cafes that seem to be full of tourists. You want to eat at places frequented by Italians and especially locals. Most of the time its easy to spot who is who (if they are wearing socks with sandals they are not Italians :). If in doubt, just ask some locals what they recommend (Italians love to recommend their favorite spots). We have never had bad pizza in Naples (or Italy)....but we have had better pizza in NYC .

Hank

• 2 weeks later...

The best pizza we ever ate was in Civitavecchia where we were spending one night pre-cruise at the Hotel Bramante. After napping from jet lag, we woke up starving around 9 pm and asked the hotel clerk if they could order us a pizza. They asked meat or vegetable? And we said both. About 30 minutes later they called us to come pick up the pizza at the front desk.

The pizza was whole, not sliced and we had to tear off pieces. It had a light crispy-thin crust and very little sauce. Half of the pizza had really thin slices of ham and the other half had wonderful grilled vegetables, zuchini, eggplant, etc. with grill marks and fresh basil. The whole pizza was topped with cheese. We have had pizza from several places in Italy and none compares with this pizza.

I love the outer ring of the pizza in Naples -- the center not so much. The more authentic the Neapolitan pizzeria, the more likely the center of the pizza is going to be undercooked with the water from the tomatoes and buffalo mozzarella pooling in the center.

Pizza in Naples is fired in a wood-burning oven at staggerinly high temps: 950 degrees F. However, the cooking time is incredibly short: no more than 60 to 90 seconds. This cooking time is controlled by law! In fact, I've provided a link to an English translation of the Italian government's legal definition of Pizza Napoletana for members of the EU. (Check out the cooking times in #5)

Incidentally, you'll quickly notice that Neapolitan pizzerias serve their pizzas whole on the plate. This is to allow additional cooking to take place as the intact pizza is being carried to the table.

The first time I visted Naples and was served what I considered to be undercooked pizza, I thought that I was being ill-treated as a tourist. I quickly learned the procedures -- now codified as EU rules -- for cooking time. With such short cooking times, if the oven is not quite as high as it is supposed to be, the results will be undercooked pizza for everyone, local and tourist alike.

And don't freak if you see the pizza-maker exposing the outer rim of crust to the open flame in a spot or two. The contrast between the small char marks on the crust and the "sweetness" of the uncharred crust is part of the style.

Link to the Italian government's regulations for pizza: http://www.fornobravo.com/vera_pizza_napoletana/VPN_spec.html

I guess we had the best pizza there was, then.....It was exactly as u said in your 1st paragraph.....I didn't think it was anything spectacular----I was awaiting epiphanies, etc---this is pizza? ANd we had it at Sorbillo's----people waiting outside, boxes and boxes flying out the door---and the place crowded. We figured we were really in for it! (Well, we were in a way...)

A tour guide reminded us to look at the roof of a restaurant. If they are truly cooking their pizza in wood-fired ovens, you will see an appropriate chimney or "stack."

Pizza Margherita is famous in southern Italy. Our favorite was on a day trip to Sorrento. It's an interesting story. Italy was unified in the 1860's. Southern Italy felt resentment toward northern Italy because their taxes increased (a lot) and the new unified country government used southern Italy's cash reserves for needs in northern Italy. Southern Italy fell on hard times and much poverty ensued. The pizza Margherita is famous in southern Italy because it was made in the cheapest way possible and was made to look like the face of the unified country's leading lady - Margherita. It was intended as a negative political comment toward those in power at the time. The lack of bountiful toppings on this pizza remains typically southern Italy and they are proud of this special pizza.

I'm relating this story as it was told to us. Others may have different stories and opinions, but it's interesting how history influences food.

Our tour driver told us the Magherita pizza reflected the colours of the Italian flag. White of the cheese, green of the herbs and tomato red. And named after the Queen.

We had excellent pizza in Sorrento. Thin crispy with fresh herbs and amazing sauce.

Seems like he may have been right.

http://www.italymag.co.uk/italy-featured/recipes/pizza-margherita-history-and-recipe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived