disapointed with celebration/thomson

just my opinion, so please hear me out ???

the ship is fairly old, and im afraid a few new carpets and mdf cupboards wont improve the mattress or the plumbing. and beware about paying more for a deluxe cabin on decks higher than 6/prom deck. they are exactly the same quality. in fact the biggest cabin is situated on deck 6 ???

food/dinning

the food on offer in the meridian is on a par with a "bhs" cafeteria, even on the formal night ? and the buffet late in the evening is disgusting in its tasteless burgers, and possible the worst curry on offer. if you did enjoy it, then i think your telling a big fib ? its without doubt a big let down, and the wait for a wine glass to be refilled is shocking.

entertainment.

on the top deck they have a tennis & football court, what a waste, never once did this get an organised activity on it.

cruise director tries his best, with what hes been given (budget) but its really really poor quality, and the one act from the uk is really the biggest problem. it needs two acts, because there is only so much resident/in house a customer can take. to sum it up, its crap ?????

all/inclusive.

if this is why you book a thomson cruise, then i really feel sorry for you. as its simply not an advantage at all. the frequency & stalling that goes on all day, from getting served with your drink, makes me laugh. id rather get a reduction in price, than accepting this scheme.

throughout our cruise, we met some great staff members and ive got no complaints against these lads & lasses, but i cant say the same over the few cruisers who hog sunbeds, sit in the same space every day, dont get off anywhere. and yet love thomsons cruises.

will i return, maybe on a different ship, deffo not all/in, and if the price is at least £700 cheaper cabin like for like, than a P&o cruise ill think about it. so far ive yet too find it ???????????????

Totally disagree with your comments - a holiday is what you make it. if people look out for the bad in things they will never be happy with any holiday. We had a fantastic time and stayed in a very roomy deluxe 7th deck cabin. Our beds were extremely comfortable, the staff could not do enough for you, The Meridian resturant was very lovely, and we were never disappointed. We went to relax, enjoy, sight see and to made the most of a fantastic cruise.

Please go back to the P+O forum where you post on more threads. You are only commenting on remarks from your 'friends' and clearly have no personal knowledge of the ship, so you are in no position to criticise the Celebration. :mad:

Please go back to the P+O forum where you post on more threads. You are only commenting on remarks from your 'friends' and clearly have no personal knowledge of the ship, so you are in no position to criticise the Celebration. :mad:

Agree :)

Stevie

the ship is fairly old, and im afraid a few new carpets and mdf cupboards wont improve the mattress or the plumbing. and beware about paying more for a deluxe cabin on decks higher than 6/prom deck. they are exactly the same quality. in fact the biggest cabin is situated on deck 6 ???

food/dinning

the food on offer in the meridian is on a par with a "bhs" cafeteria, even on the formal night ? and the buffet late in the evening is disgusting in its tasteless burgers, and possible the worst curry on offer. if you did enjoy it, then i think your telling a big fib ? its without doubt a big let down, and the wait for a wine glass to be refilled is shocking.

entertainment.

on the top deck they have a tennis & football court, what a waste, never once did this get an organised activity on it.

cruise director tries his best, with what hes been given (budget) but its really really poor quality, and the one act from the uk is really the biggest problem. it needs two acts, because there is only so much resident/in house a customer can take. to sum it up, its crap ?????

all/inclusive.

if this is why you book a thomson cruise, then i really feel sorry for you. as its simply not an advantage at all. the frequency & stalling that goes on all day, from getting served with your drink, makes me laugh. id rather get a reduction in price, than accepting this scheme.

throughout our cruise, we met some great staff members and ive got no complaints against these lads & lasses, but i cant say the same over the few cruisers who hog sunbeds, sit in the same space every day, dont get off anywhere. and yet love thomsons cruises.

will i return, maybe on a different ship, deffo not all/in, and if the price is at least £700 cheaper cabin like for like, than a P&o cruise ill think about it. so far ive yet too find it ???????????????

I am suprised you even booked the cruise seeing that "your friends" had the same problems a year ago

ive spoken to our friends again, and they are adamant its a no rtn on the celebration, and its just the observations they noticed regarding staffing levels, just basics like waiter service in the bars, and it taking for ever to get served, every night, just a pain in the end. and most were all inclusive on board ? they reckon this is a deliberate ploy, and does spoil it. they queried their room steward, and he confirmed their worries, that staff numbers had reduced ? so maybe thats the reason.

as for the entertainment, they just said, poor value for money, even the two acts from uk wasnt nothing special, but the level of quality has dropped. looking at the above post, i reckon our friends have noticed something others have as well ????

I have never experienced any of those problems and if my "friends" had pre warned me then I definitely would not have booked.

Seems like recycling of a post they made a year ago in which it was friends that had cruised on Celebration and many of the points made by the OP were the same.

It's an old post as Dave points out and moreover based on secondhand information apparently - the OP never having travelled on Celebration.

Unfortunately I responded to that original post not appreciating this (at the time agreeing that on our cruise on Celebration at about that time hadn't lived up to our usual entertainment experience although it was still good enough - it was just by comparison not AS good.)

I hadn't realised the background to this post - what on earth is the OP wanting to achieve other than mischief especially initiating another thread a year on with no more validity?

Just as well this was spotted for what it was - it doesn't seem to correspond to what people are currently reporting on Celebration (very positive) and it would be very wrong to cause concern for soon-to-be-cruisers on Celebration who might understandably be worried by this post.

It's an old post as Dave points out and moreover based on secondhand information apparently - the OP never having travelled on Celebration.

Unfortunately I responded to that original post not appreciating this (at the time agreeing that on our cruise on Celebration at about that time hadn't lived up to our usual entertainment experience although it was still good enough - it was just by comparison not AS good.)

I hadn't realised the background to this post - what on earth is the OP wanting to achieve other than mischief especially initiating another thread a year on with no more validity?

Just as well this was spotted for what it was - it doesn't seem to correspond to what people are currently reporting on Celebration (very positive) and it would be very wrong to cause concern for soon-to-be-cruisers on Celebration who might understandably be worried by this post.

Agree 100% kruzseeka, I think you will remember me posting the same points about the drop in service when they started to swap the staff for Greeks waiters a few years back. However, I went on to say it was still a great cruise despite the problems at the time.

I would not be going back on board in a weeks time if I thought there were still any problems, and like you say the recent reviews are positive.

Can I say to anyone who has a cruise booked and has never been on the Celebration before please do not worry. It is a great ship (if a little old) and you will have a great time.

Agree 100% kruzseeka, I think you will remember me posting the same points about the drop in service when they started to swap the staff for Greeks waiters a few years back. However, I went on to say it was still a great cruise despite the problems at the time.

I would not be going back on board in a weeks time if I thought there were still any problems, and like you say the recent reviews are positive.

Can I say to anyone who has a cruise booked and has never been on the Celebration before please do not worry. It is a great ship (if a little old) and you will have a great time.

And I'll look forward to hearing your views john_l - they will have some authority as having travelled with Thomson before you will be in a position to provide a balanced and fair comparison - unlike some!!!!!!

I think this reviewer needs to made aware that the Celebration along with her sister is, in my opinion, the best in the fleet. I disagree with comments regarding Meridian and the late night curries. My only comment about the food would be it needs to be warmer. If someone gets up before cock crow and bags a sunbed in a good position whats wrong with that? they dont leave the ship, you have booked a cruise not a hop on hop off bus ticket. I prefer to lie on my sunbed relaxing, maybe later in the day i will go for a wander.....and......All Inclusive no complaints apart from the service has slowed down, happy to do without entertainment, Horizons is my favourite bar, lovely Tapas and relaxed atmosphere....I suggest this poster may want to go via Cunard next time...leave the old rust bucket alone.....when she goes I think I will be looking elsewhere.:eek:

Jeezo! I've just booked the Celebration in the Red Sea for January, and after reading that, I'm very seriously concerned that I've made a big mistake.

Hopefully the replies to the OP are more in line with what I'm expecting on my cruise!!!!!

Me and my wife will be going on the celebration with 6 friends on either on the 8th or the 22nd of october, it will be our 6th time on this ship in the passed two and half years. We think it is a fantastic ship with excellent staff and food. The a/i package is great, i thought we would get charged for the amount of paper our bill was printed on, all zero's of course apart from the cigarettes. roll on october.

Yes you will enjoy it very much, I have been back about 1 month now.

The food was lovely espically in the Lido restaurant, cannot comment on the "late night" supper as was way too full up to even considering eating anymore food espically at that time of night :) although did meet a couple who did one night and said it was lovely.

I always go for the Lido because I need self service so I can limit or increse my vegie intake, as have dietry requirements.

Having said that I don't think that my Doc would not be too impressed with me gulping down "treacle sponge and custard" one lunchtime and "chocolate cake" and my good intentions of having sugar free dessert, went completely out of the window. :cool: Please lets not mention the afternoon tea, which I unfortunately discovered on my 3rd afternoon on board, :eek: yummy sandwiches and scones with cream and jam, cakes etc. So lets keep that between us shall we :D

As I said to Hubby when I got home sugar level must be oh about 240 and chloesterol level about 300 and something :D

ummm chocolate cake ummmm.

Enjoy x

Jeezo! I've just booked the Celebration in the Red Sea for January, and after reading that, I'm very seriously concerned that I've made a big mistake.

Hopefully the replies to the OP are more in line with what I'm expecting on my cruise!!!!!

Dont worry the celebration is fab i was on her in april for my 1st cruise and loved it,we were back a month and have booked up for next year on the spirit and to be honest i dont think i would like to be on 1 of the huge ships not sure i would feel comfortable.

esther xx

food/dinning

entertainment.

all/inclusive.

Did this poster have keys for room inspections lol how on earth would he/she know exactly what is the biggest?

I have booked a Suite and sure I won't be disappointed think on level 7

Ship is getting upgraded to Platinum and will be at this stage by May 2013 from informantion given

Who is this person to judge what others want to do on their holiday anyway, Sit around all day or go exploring when docked!!!!

I am glad this has been spotted by regulars as a Scam as I am new to this and like so many others could easily have been extremely worried with this So called report...I don't understand why someone would want to do this:confused:...

I fully agree with what the majority are saying with two exceptions.

I agree withe OP about the games deck. I was on Celebration in June for two weeks and never saw that area used. I also saw the sunbed scramble. I would have thought that the simple thing to do was to get rid of the net and convert this area to a sunbed area, with the only cost being 100 or so sunbeds.

The other point I would make is that we thought that there was too few waiters and we regularly waited 30 minutes to get a drink and we were not all inclusive. A lot of these staff spoke very poor english which gave rise to my theory that Thomsons had removed some of the experienced staff to Majesty to get that project off the ground and at the same time reduced expectations on Celebration . Then when Celebration goes Platinum the experienced staff come back and we notice a much improved service which in reality is only back to where we were before Majesty came along.

Just my opinion.

Archived