How do we liven up this board?

Banditswife

Several people on the repositioning cruise I just took on the Brilliance were doing B2B. I don't know all the reasons, but I do know that it was partly because they had the 8 nights from NJ with some Caribbean stops and then another Caribbean itinerary.

I would love to do one some day. But it will be 2014 at this point since 2013 is all booked up.

That is...unless I will the big lottery tomorrow night. And, yes, I bought a ticket - just one, but I had to jump into it all. One never knows.

Meanwhile the first six months of this year were long and very difficult. However, the five months since late June have flown by. It seems I just moved yesterday.

Beth

I wish you good luck - and hope you hit the big jack pot!! I need to play and always forget to buy a ticket.

I am almost ready with my packing - well, actually, I just folded my clothes and now I have to Stuff them in my suitcases... I tried to keep it down to one suitcase but we are taking South West and they allow two free luggages, so we are taking advantage of that.

Carol

Truth is I am enjoying being alone these days after being a caretaker of an aging husband for several years and pastor of a church which meant lots of caretaking at times as well. I have my women solo cruising friends now which means I may technically cruise as a solo passenger but will have a friend on the ship. There were three of us on the Brilliance. There will be two of us on the Norway cruise, and there will be two and possibly three on the Brilliance transatlantic in April.

That said I miss male companionship, and as my DH declined I really didn't have it even though I was married. That's no disrespect to him, just a reality. So, I would be happy to find a companion with shared interests.

Beth

I decided yesterday that I needed an ocean fix. So today I drove the 45-50 minutes over to Emerald Isle which is a small community near the end of one of the barrier islands. There was no one on the beach. So, I just stood at the top of the stairs and filled my eyes with the Atlantic.

Then I drove up the island and could sometimes see the sound on one side and the ocean on the other. I stopped at Atlantic Beach which is near the other end of the island. That was a better place, because there were benches where I could sit without going out onto the sand.

After a while I crossed back to the mainland and found a waterfront restaurant where I had lunch.

A good day and being near the ocean was a major reason for moving last summer.

Beth

Your 'sea' adventure sounded relaxing and satisfying, Beth --

I will be enjoying the ocean from 12/2 to 12/16... can't wait!!

will chat with all of you when we get back - it'll be just a little over a week before Christmas then....

later...........carol

Truth is I am enjoying being alone these days after being a caretaker of an aging husband for several years and pastor of a church which meant lots of caretaking at times as well. I have my women solo cruising friends now which means I may technically cruise as a solo passenger but will have a friend on the ship. There were three of us on the Brilliance. There will be two of us on the Norway cruise, and there will be two and possibly three on the Brilliance transatlantic in April.

That said I miss male companionship, and as my DH declined I really didn't have it even though I was married. That's no disrespect to him, just a reality. So, I would be happy to find a companion with shared interests.

Beth

With your personality and intelligence, you won't have any problems finding a male friend -- and having cruise friends is good too -- I know I love our East Coast Cruisers Gang and everyone gets along so well - husbands as well as the wives - Beth, I am still in touch with Tony and Gregg - well, Tony more, cuz he's the one who emails the most -

I don't know if you remember Jack and Alice from Alabama - they were also on our Nov 06 Brilliance with all of us - they will be on this Allure - I hope I can meet up with them - such a huge ship -

funny thing, no matter how big the ships are, we see the same people all the time at the lounges, decks, tours ==

Narce has his suitcase at the front entry already-- locked up ... and me? I am still goofing around - altho' I must admit, all my clothes are piled and just ready to put into my suitcases - one suitcase for one week, the other one for the next week - hmmmm.... I thought that up all by myself!! ha!ha!

cooking turkey soup tonight - and I also made biscuits -- used the Bisquick Mix but at least I mixed it and baked it myself - not bad - I use that mix for my pancakes too but have not tried the impossible pies, cakes, cookies, etc...

carol

Carol, you really are too kind. I wish I were all those things you say.

I don't know if Tony remembers me or not, but tell him hello from me next time you e-mail.

And, yes I remember Jack and Alice. Tell them hello, too, if you see them.

I haven't cruised consistently enough on any one cruiseline yet to run into as many people as you do. With time I will as I am trying to be loyal to Royal Caribbean right now. I have probably said, but I am only now Platinum. After the Brilliance in April and the Freedom a year from now I'll be Emerald. It will be a long time probably before I make Diamond.

Ofcourse, the way things are going the "Presidential Ladies" and others in our solo cruisers group will be getting to know each other in twos and threes as we cruise together. I'm excited to be cruising with one of the women on the Brilliance in April.

Now, in terms of biscuits...Bisquick works for me!!

Beth

Thank you for your "congrat" on our "50" years of marriage. It isn't easy at times, but were STILL together.:)

It was mentioned about traveling together. My husband is a "home body" and I still work, yes people ask me when I will retire, but I like my job/work.

As for traveling, I generally go with a girlfriend (cruises), as my husband "won't" fly, so thus my husband and I don't get far, unless it is by car.

Brenda

Your 'sea' adventure sounded relaxing and satisfying, Beth --

I will be enjoying the ocean from 12/2 to 12/16... can't wait!!

will chat with all of you when we get back - it'll be just a little over a week before Christmas then....

later...........carol[/quot

Oh my gosh!! Carol, have a GREAT time!!! Two weeks on a cruise ship right now sounds perfect to me. Have a safe trip; I look forward to your 'report' when you get back. :D

I think the rest of us can keep this post going though we will miss you.

Ilovescotland, yes "taking your time," I believe would be the answer. I say everyone needs someone in their lives, no matter what AGE. Whether they be married or just for companionship. I have seen couples in our church in the late 70's and early 80's get married after losing their spouse, and are very happy together.

I am 69 and have been married 50 years, so I don't know what I would do. I really like being by myself, but then it is nice to have someone around too. I

am so thankful for my 3 sons, and "15" grandchildren.:)

I agree, i like being by myself plus thats what familly is for

wouldn't marry again.

I agree, i like being by myself plus thats what familly is for

wouldn't marry again.

I don't know that I want to marry again. But, a companion would be nice at times. Time will tell.

By now Carol is well out to sea. I tried to watch the Allure leave port yesterday, but my sister called just when it was due to depart.

A question: Has anyone here spent any time in Lisbon? After going back and forth about what to do when the Brilliance cruise ends in Lisbon next April I've decided to stay in Lisbon for about a week rather than a couple of nights after which I'd fly or take the train somewhere else. I've been there for a port day and fell in love with what I saw so this seems like a good plan with the least amount of hassle.

Anyway, I'd love ideas about what you liked (or didn't like) about Lisbon if you've been there.

Beth

Just ducking in to say hi. Not much going on here.

The weekend was busy; my sisters and I get together every year and make perogies for Christmas. We did that last Saturday and Sunday I went to a wake for my brother's BIL. He was killed in a car accident while in Mexico for business. It was very sad, he was only 45 yo.

Beth-I have not been to Lisbon but I think your plan sounds awesome.

I started my 'things to do and get for Christmas' list. I always make a list so I don't forget something or someone!

Hope all are well. :)

• 3 weeks later...
I got home Sunday night but still not home (in my mind!!) ha!ha! busy running around getting ready for Christmas now - will be here to chat real soon - had a super great cruise on the Allure - wow!! super mega ship!

carol

Hi Carol

Is it true that Allure and Oasis have 6,000 pax plus crew? That is more folks than my wife's hometown--Owego

Tom:)

Carol, I haven't even gotten on here to say welcome home or say hello to anyone else.

My Christmas was quiet. My adult daughter was with her dad's family, so I was alone. Discovered a couple of other women in the neighborhood were alone, so I organized a brunch for the three of us. We each contributed something, and we drank lots of mimosas while we ate!!

Now I have two trips to plan having cancelled the Brilliance TA for April. First I'm going to Florida (Panhandle) for a gathering of some of my first cousins. We're scattered all across the US and try to get together every few years. I'm now the oldest of our generation (egad!).

And my Norway trip is just over 2 months away, so I've been doing a few things today like book a hotel at the Raleigh Durham airport for the night before I fly out and also buy some gloves that are waterproof and will keep my hands warm.

Anyway, hope everyone has had a good holiday whatever your tradition.

Beth

This is my first post on this thread...but I am happy to have found one that looks like it is just for chatting. :)

I am 55 years old and I have been on only 2 cruises so far -both with my hubby of 33 years. They were the Ruby Princess (3 years ago -for our 30th anniversary) and the Celebrity Equinox (1 year ago -just because...). I still work (and LOVE it). I am a primary school teacher. :)

I have read some of the recent and some of the earliest posts, but not them all.

I hope you all had a lovely Christmas!

I will be back to chat with everyone! I want to finish my New Years Cards cuz there were some Christmas cards I didn't answer on time so I want to get those done BEFORE New Yrs!! oh.... I am always behind...

will talk about the Allure and welcome Kiwis!!! so glad you found us here!!

Tom - yes, the Allure can carry 1000 more people than the town I graduated High School from - and 5000 more than the town I grew up in!!

Carol

This is my first post on this thread...but I am happy to have found one that looks like it is just for chatting. :)

I am 55 years old and I have been on only 2 cruises so far -both with my hubby of 33 years. They were the Ruby Princess (3 years ago -for our 30th anniversary) and the Celebrity Equinox (1 year ago -just because...). I still work (and LOVE it). I am a primary school teacher. :)

I have read some of the recent and some of the earliest posts, but not them all.

I hope you all had a lovely Christmas!

Hi, Kiwis,

How nice to have a new member of our chat group. You found a great board with great people....so get comfy and join in :)

Lynn

Quiet here over the holidays. I hope that means everyone has been busy with family and/or friends. My Christmas was very quiet with just a couple of friends in for brunch on Christmas morning.

My DD arrived this past Sunday and stayed until yesterday. This is my 43 year old who's going into her last semester of college having returned a year and a half ago after many years. Needless to say I am proud of her, and we had a good visit.

Now I'm gearing up for a first cousins' gathering at the home of a cousin who lives on the Florida panhandle. That is mid February. And then I fly away to the very cold north. I think I have finally bought everything I need to stay warm when high each day is between 25 and 30 with lots of wind, especially when we're at sea between ports.

Beth

I will be back to chat with everyone! I want to finish my New Years Cards cuz there were some Christmas cards I didn't answer on time so I want to get those done BEFORE New Yrs!! oh.... I am always behind...

will talk about the Allure and welcome Kiwis!!! so glad you found us here!!

Tom - yes, the Allure can carry 1000 more people than the town I graduated High School from - and 5000 more than the town I grew up in!!

Carol

Hi Carol

The largest cruise ship that we have been on is the Solstice--2850 pax. The smallest-- Spirit of '98--100 pax. This ship was used in Kevin Costner movie about Wyatt Earp(he went to Alaska during gold rush). This ship was also used by Sue Henry in one of her mystery novels. DW and I have enjoyed them all. Solstice was our 1st big ship. Not sure if we would like the Allure.

We are looking forward to Panama Canal trip. Century has 1800 pax.

Beth, if you like reading mysteries that take place in countries that you visit, try reading 1 of Gunnar Staalesen's books--available in translation at Amazon. They take place in Bergen, Norway.

Tom:)