Help please! Birth certificate wrong name spelling= difficulty getting Passport

irisheileen

It is not my intent to hijack this thread, but I couldn't resist our experience 40 years ago with US Immigration. We had traveled to Mexico City, and were returning via air. We had received Mexican Tourist Cards, which at that time were the equivalent of Mexican Visas. As you greybeards know, at that time, readmission to the US did NOT require a passport, just proof of US citizenship. We had presented our birth certificates to receive the Mexican Tourist Cards.

When we checked in to the flight from the USA to Mexico City, the gate agent asked us for proof of US citizenship. We showed her the Mexican Tourist Cards, and she as unsure as to their applicability, but allowed us to board the flight, but cautioned us to verify at the US Embassy that they would be valid for readmission.

Our second day, we visited the US Embassy and asked if we would have issues returning. The person at the front desk looked at our Mexican Tourist Cards and said, "These show that you are US citizens, so you should have no problems."

Our holiday was wonderful until we arrived at the Mexico City airport to board our plane. When we were leaving the lounge to go to our gate, there was a Mexican official who asked to see our Mexican Tourist Cards. We presented them, and he kept them. Our Spanish and his English did not serve to convince him that we needed them to reenter the US. DW was in tears for half the flight back to the US gateway. I checked my wallet, an found my draft card, which was proof of citizenship. In spite of the equal rights push, DW had no draft card, only her drivers license.

At last, we arrived in Dallas, and it was our turn to proceed through the Immigration checkpoint. I went first, and presented my draft card. No Problem. Then she showed her drivers license, and the immigration officer shook his head. Then she asked him, "If I can prove I'm married to him, will you let me in?" Wearily, he nodded his head, "Yes."

"Great", she said, and showed him a wallet photo of our wedding with her in wedding dress and me in tuxedo.

"Just go on through!", was the reply.

It is not my intent to hijack this thread, but I couldn't resist our experience 40 years ago with US Immigration. We had traveled to Mexico City, and were returning via air. We had received Mexican Tourist Cards, which at that time were the equivalent of Mexican Visas. As you greybeards know, at that time, readmission to the US did NOT require a passport, just proof of US citizenship. We had presented our birth certificates to receive the Mexican Tourist Cards.

When we checked in to the flight from the USA to Mexico City, the gate agent asked us for proof of US citizenship. We showed her the Mexican Tourist Cards, and she as unsure as to their applicability, but allowed us to board the flight, but cautioned us to verify at the US Embassy that they would be valid for readmission.

Our second day, we visited the US Embassy and asked if we would have issues returning. The person at the front desk looked at our Mexican Tourist Cards and said, "These show that you are US citizens, so you should have no problems."

Our holiday was wonderful until we arrived at the Mexico City airport to board our plane. When we were leaving the lounge to go to our gate, there was a Mexican official who asked to see our Mexican Tourist Cards. We presented them, and he kept them. Our Spanish and his English did not serve to convince him that we needed them to reenter the US. DW was in tears for half the flight back to the US gateway. I checked my wallet, an found my draft card, which was proof of citizenship. In spite of the equal rights push, DW had no draft card, only her drivers license.

At last, we arrived in Dallas, and it was our turn to proceed through the Immigration checkpoint. I went first, and presented my draft card. No Problem. Then she showed her drivers license, and the immigration officer shook his head. Then she asked him, "If I can prove I'm married to him, will you let me in?" Wearily, he nodded his head, "Yes."

"Great", she said, and showed him a wallet photo of our wedding with her in wedding dress and me in tuxedo.

That had to be VERY nerve wracking.

Happy it worked out okay for you.

Fast thinking on your DW's part. :)

That was very clever of your wife to do that..Agree years ago it was not much of a problem to travel over the border with either a BC or Licence..

I was first married in Detroit & crossed into Windsor every week to shop, as at that time groceries cost less in Windsor..Only thing I had to show was my Drivers Licence..The same with traveling to Mexico & back to the U.S. only needed a Birth Certificate..

Now, even when we leave by ship we'll still have valid passports with us, just in case we have to fly back for one reason or another..

I feel bad about these people, but the State Dept. for years has encouraged people to get valid Passports in case of emergency, & I wouldn't leave home without it..I still can't get over the fact, that so many American's don't have a valid passport..

Betty

Thanks for posting this!

You are welcome. I figured those who subscribed to this thread would be waiting to hear the resolution. I know I don't always notice when a new thread pops up. I was glad I did see that your friend is getting the corrected BC in time!!! They are lucky to have you has a friend to help them sort through the bureacracy.

Even though my friend now has gotten the corrected BC and Passport in time for their cruise, I wanted to post this email response from the Customs Border Protection. If anyone in the future is searching/researching this type of problem this will be here to help. (for some reason my question is at the bottom.)

Recently you requested personal assistance from our on-line support center. Below is a summary of your request and our response.

If this issue is not resolved to your satisfaction, you may reopen it within the next 7 days.

Thank you for allowing us to be of service to you.

Subject

Question please... If a male US Citizen, who is cruising out of NYC Pier on a c...

Discussion Thread

Response (Mark) 07/28/2012 11:17 AM

The person can return to the US, but you may want to contact the cruise line to make sure they will be OK with the misspelling on the birth certificate. I hope this answer helps.

Mark

Answer Title: US Citizens/Lawful Permanent Residents name does not match documents

Answer Link: https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1209

Answer Title: Documents needed to take a cruise

Answer Link: https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1139

Auto-Response 07/24/2012 04:49 PM

Title: Documents needed to take a cruise

Link: https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1139

Title: US Citizens - Documents needed for entry into the U.S.

Link: https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/74

Title: Visiting the U.S. - Documents required for Canadian Citizens / Residents / Landed Immigrant to enter the U.S. and how long they can stay

Link: https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/619

Title: Canadian- Citizens/Residents/Landed Immigrants entering the U.S.

Link: https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1192

Title: Children- Traveling into the U.S. as Canadian Citizen

Link: https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1280

Customer 07/24/2012 04:49 PM

Question please...

If a male US Citizen, who is cruising out of NYC Pier on a closed loop to Bermuda, brings a Correct Driver's License photo Id and an original official birth certificate with his LAST name mispelled, will he be allowed to board the ship?

There is no time to receive a corrected birth certificate before the cruise date. On his Birth certificate, his father's name is listed and spelled correctly, matching up with the passengers correct last name on the Driver's license. Date of birth is correct on both documents.

Passenger is a Veteran and will be prepared to provide a Military Photo Id as well. Also a SS card and tax docs will be available.

His wife, who has his last name, will be traveling with him and has a passport.

Will he be allowed to board the ship?

Thank you.

Question Reference #120724-000691

Topic Level 1: International Travel, Docs & Immigration

Topic Level 2: Documentation

Topic Level 3: Travel Docs/Lost or Expired

Date Created: 07/24/2012 04:49 PM

Last Updated: 07/28/2012 11:17 AM

Glad this all worked out.

Having browsed through the thread, I think the greatest risk was that HAL would deny boarding b/c of the misspelled birth certificate. Airlines and cruise ships can be heavily fined if pax don't have proper documentation, and in anticipation of that, they make take a strict view at boarding b/c they don't have discretion to make exceptions.

USCIS has discretion to make exceptions, but you only see them when you disembark. With so much secondary evidence of the correct last name (military, DL, SS) common sense suggests USCIS likely would let this individual back into the US. The challenge would be convincing the cruise line of that at boarding...

Glad this all worked out.

Having browsed through the thread, I think the greatest risk was that HAL would deny boarding b/c of the misspelled birth certificate. Airlines and cruise ships can be heavily fined if pax don't have proper documentation, and in anticipation of that, they make take a strict view at boarding b/c they don't have discretion to make exceptions.

USCIS has discretion to make exceptions, but you only see them when you disembark. With so much secondary evidence of the correct last name (military, DL, SS) common sense suggests USCIS likely would let this individual back into the US. The challenge would be convincing the cruise line of that at boarding...

You have summed it up. I agree. Hopefully this thread will help alert someone else with similar circumstanses in the future.

Fortunatley for my friends he got his corrected BC AND Passport in time!

The e-mail response from Customs and Border Patrol, posted above, would have been the evidence to provide to the cruise line. All of the secondary documents of correct name spelling along with a copy of that e-mail should have done the trick. Even still, with the e-mail response, the cruise line could still deny boarding as the penalty is stiff is CBP has a problem with the documents when cruisers tries to re-enter U.S.

I join everyone else in being so happy the situation was resolved.

ALL of his other IDs are in the correct name--military, DL, SS card, Marriage Liscense. they didn't discover the Birth certificate issue untill they booked the cruise and sent away for it. They received it in the mail, took it to the Passport Office-passed those official eyes- and waited for the Passport to come in the mail. She received hers and he just now received a letter stating that there was a problem due to the wrong vowel.

Now the rush is on--they had been doing everything OK before. Passport office should have stoped them in their tracks as they handed in the official form in person. 2 weeks went by before they now realize their is a problem with passport.

Even if they don't get passport, the BC still needs to be fixed.

WOW! I'm sorry to hear that I don't have any specific advice to add but i do have a story.

My mom was in a similar situation....or so i thought. Her BC has her name as "Glory" but her Social Security Card and Driver's License has her listed as "Gloria". She had no problems getting her passport. Her passport states "Gloria". To me it seems like a similar situation. BC has last name different but all the other documentation says with the correct spelling right? Sounds like someone at the passport office was being too harsh. I'm sorry this is happening to you. I hope it gets resolved.

WOW! I'm sorry to hear that I don't have any specific advice to add but i do have a story.

My mom was in a similar situation....or so i thought. Her BC has her name as "Glory" but her Social Security Card and Driver's License has her listed as "Gloria". She had no problems getting her passport. Her passport states "Gloria". To me it seems like a similar situation. BC has last name different but all the other documentation says with the correct spelling right? Sounds like someone at the passport office was being too harsh. I'm sorry this is happening to you. I hope it gets resolved.

Thx for your concern :) a little further into the thread would have let you know that...

For those who did not notice the OP's new thread, this issue has been resolved.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1678618

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the info as I am having the same issue now with my fiance's BC. His mother put her last name on his BC and all his life he has gone by his father's last name..military..dL..even gotten a TWIC card where you have to go thru extensive background check etc...smh. Crazy how you can get all of that stuff but then you can't even take a cruise...this government is all screwed up

Archived