Help please! Birth certificate wrong name spelling= difficulty getting Passport

irisheileen

Thanks but that is the whole probelm...his BC doesn't match his Drivers license. They CAN'T use the BC in it's current state. It might not be accepted.

I believe he needs to go have a legal name change. Basically change it so the spelling is corrected.

Each state handles this differently. I currently hold both a valid GA DL and a valid GA ID card. Both were last re-issued late last year.

My friend, about 8 years ago was able to get the ID in a day, which would make it doable.

YMMV depending on local laws

Rich

PA rules:

Obtaining a Photo Identification Card An identification card is issued to any Pennsylvania resident who is at least 10 years of age. This is not a driving product.

Process

Step 1:

Visit your local Driver License Center and take along the following:

A completed Form DL-54A, “Application for Initial Photo Identification Card.”

Acceptable Proof of Identification

Your Social Security Card

A check or money order payable to PennDOT for the appropriate fee (cash is not accepted) and, if you are 18 or older, two acceptable forms of address verification are required.

Please note: If you are under the age of 18 applying for a Photo ID card, a parent, guardian or person in loco parentis must accompany you to a PennDOT Driver License Center.

Step 2:

When your application and supporting documentation have been reviewed and processed, a Driver License Center staff member will direct you to the Photo Center to have your photo taken for your Photo ID card.

Step 3:

Once your photo has been taken, you will be issued your Photo ID card. PennDOT uses state-of-the-art facial recognition technology when an individual has their photo taken for their driver’s license/identification card.

Acceptable Proof of Identification :

Residents of Pennsylvania

If you are 18 years of age or older and you are a resident of Pennsylvania you will need to show:

one form of identification from List A,

two forms of proof of residency from List B, and

your Social Security Card.

LIST A:Acceptable Forms of Identification for U.S. Citizens:

Birth Certificate with raised seal (U.S. issued by an authorized government agency,

including U.S. territories or Puerto Rico. Non-U.S. Birth Certificates will not be accepted.)

Certificate of U.S. Citizenship (INS Form N-560)

Certificate of Naturalization (INS Form N-550 or N-570)

Valid U.S. Passport

NOTE: Only valid Passports and original documents will be accepted. If the name on

your original document differs from your current name, you must provide

documentation that connects the names, such as an original Marriage Certificate,

Divorce Decree, or Court Order document.

LIST B:Acceptable List of Documents for Proof of Residency for Applicants 18 Years

of Age or Older:

PLEASE NOTE

All documents must show the same name and date of birth, or an association between the

information on the documents. Additional documentation may be required if a connection between

documents cannot be established (e.g. Marriage Certificate, Court Order of name change, Divorce

Decree, etc.)

PUB 195US (11-09)

W-2 Form

Current Weapons Permit

Current Utility Bills

(water, gas, electric, cable, etc.)

Tax Records

Lease Agreements

Mortgage Documents

NOTE: For Current Utility Bills: Cellular/Mobile or Pager Bills are not acceptable. If you reside with someone, and

have no bills in your name, you will still need to provide two proofs of residency. One proof is to bring the

person with whom you reside along with their Drivers License or Photo ID to the Driver License Center.You will

also need to provide a second proof of residency such as official mail (bank statement, tax notice, magazine

etc.) that has your name and address on it. The address must match that of the person with whom you reside.

Problem is that all of the proof of ID the state of PA wants is in his CORRECT name and they would be trying to get a State Photo ID uing his WRONG BIRTH CERTIFICATE SPELLING, just to temporarily circumnavigate the system before the cruise, and then solve the real issue later.

THOUGHT IT WOULD BE AN OPTION BUT NO. THANKS.

Not exactly sure why this is a HAL problem.

Last time I checked, HAL was not the issuer of passports nor were they the providers of acceptable identification.

Take responsibilty for your own problems and work them through-blaming HAL will not solve the issue.

PA rules:

Obtaining a Photo Identification Card An identification card is issued to any Pennsylvania resident who is at least 10 years of age. This is not a driving product.

Process

Step 1:

Visit your local Driver License Center and take along the following:

A completed Form DL-54A, “Application for Initial Photo Identification Card.”

Acceptable Proof of Identification

Your Social Security Card

A check or money order payable to PennDOT for the appropriate fee (cash is not accepted) and, if you are 18 or older, two acceptable forms of address verification are required.

Please note: If you are under the age of 18 applying for a Photo ID card, a parent, guardian or person in loco parentis must accompany you to a PennDOT Driver License Center.

Step 2:

When your application and supporting documentation have been reviewed and processed, a Driver License Center staff member will direct you to the Photo Center to have your photo taken for your Photo ID card.

Step 3:

Once your photo has been taken, you will be issued your Photo ID card. PennDOT uses state-of-the-art facial recognition technology when an individual has their photo taken for their driver’s license/identification card.

Acceptable Proof of Identification :

Residents of Pennsylvania

If you are 18 years of age or older and you are a resident of Pennsylvania you will need to show:

one form of identification from List A,

two forms of proof of residency from List B, and

your Social Security Card.

LIST A:Acceptable Forms of Identification for U.S. Citizens:

Birth Certificate with raised seal (U.S. issued by an authorized government agency,

including U.S. territories or Puerto Rico. Non-U.S. Birth Certificates will not be accepted.)

Certificate of U.S. Citizenship (INS Form N-560)

Certificate of Naturalization (INS Form N-550 or N-570)

Valid U.S. Passport

NOTE: Only valid Passports and original documents will be accepted. If the name on

your original document differs from your current name, you must provide

documentation that connects the names, such as an original Marriage Certificate,

Divorce Decree, or Court Order document.

LIST B:Acceptable List of Documents for Proof of Residency for Applicants 18 Years

of Age or Older:

PLEASE NOTE

All documents must show the same name and date of birth, or an association between the

information on the documents. Additional documentation may be required if a connection between

documents cannot be established (e.g. Marriage Certificate, Court Order of name change, Divorce

Decree, etc.)

PUB 195US (11-09)

W-2 Form

Current Weapons Permit

Current Utility Bills

(water, gas, electric, cable, etc.)

Tax Records

Lease Agreements

Mortgage Documents

NOTE: For Current Utility Bills: Cellular/Mobile or Pager Bills are not acceptable. If you reside with someone, and

have no bills in your name, you will still need to provide two proofs of residency. One proof is to bring the

person with whom you reside along with their Drivers License or Photo ID to the Driver License Center.You will

also need to provide a second proof of residency such as official mail (bank statement, tax notice, magazine

etc.) that has your name and address on it. The address must match that of the person with whom you reside.

Problem is that all of the proof of ID the state of PA wants is in his CORRECT name and they would be trying to get a State Photo ID uing his WRONG BIRTH CERTIFICATE SPELLING, just to temporarily circumnavigate the system before the cruise, and then solve the real issue later.

THOUGHT IT WOULD BE AN OPTION BUT NO. THANKS.

I agree and pretty sure the state of PA will not issue it either with the other spelling.

I have a friend that I have not asked him about recently but he had a similiar situation that his last name on his BC the letters were transposed yet his Father's last name was typed correctly. When looking at the BC it was pretty obvious what happened. His Soc Sec card and when he served in the Army in the early 70's everything was with the correct spelling. He has know for years this was a problem and started to try to get the straightened out with the state of Maryland, he had to turn down a trip to Europe he won thru work a few years ago because he knew he could not get a US Passport. Last I knew he was still writing letters and trying to get this straightened out. He had even mentioned that he was considering getting an Atty to help because he knew that he would need to get this fixed by the time he needed to collect his Soc Sec for retirement (he is turning 60 this next week). All I am saying is I do not think there is an easy fix and will not be a speedy process.

All he can do is go and see what happens, it may not even be caught but go knowing that they may not be able to board the ship. The HAL rep checking them in will most likely glance at the birth certficate especially if it is older and faded then look at the State issued Drivers Lic to make sure it is not expired and that matches the name on the cruise reservation and just check him in. If that HAL Shore side staff does catch it, they will have a Pier Agent take a look. It will be up to their judgement as to if they allow it. I have perrsonally traveled with someone that lost their passport and had to have their own son's brith certificate faxed and used as an I.D along with a drivers license because they could not locate the person's BC. They used the Son's because it showed the mother's name listed. So they do try to find ways to allow them to board. If he has a Retired Military I.D., Soc Sec Card all in his correct spelled name they may let it pass. He needs to bring numerous forms of I.D. but be prepared to know that he may not be able to go.

Admittedly, the USA may have different regulations but, I was under the impression that the name on your birth certificate is your legal name, even if your father's name is different - unless you go through the process of a legal name change.

My DH's grandfather, born in the UK to parents of German origin, is the only one of his siblings whose surname is spelled "CLE . . " His father's surname is spelled "KLI . . " Other siblings have variations of the name, such as "KLE. . " and "CLI . . "

All have kept the spelling of their surname as the version on their birth certificate.

I do not think your friend's problem will be settled quickly. He/she needs legal advice.

Way back in 1960, the Girl Scout troop that my mother was asst leader of, was going to Mexico, and she needed a BC to get a visitor's card. She was 49, and had never had one. Was born at home (1910). When the BC came, they discovered that the first name recorded was Harriet, not Olive (a family name). To correct it, she got a affidavit from her mother, fortunately still living, and in the same town. Corrected certificate was issued. The birth was in Ohio. EM

Here is a link to the Pennsylvania Dept Of Heath citing the procedure for correcting the name on a birth certificate of a person born in PA.

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt/community/birth_certificates/14121/corrections_to_birth_certificates/612936#J

Thank you for offering this link. This is the procedure to look for no matter which is the birth state of this client. These procedures are usually similar from state to state. I had to do this for a client once over a misspelled death certificate that prevented obtaining a social security benefit -- look forever to get through the system, but it worked.

Many years ago, my mother had a similiar problem when dealing with her father's estate. Even though her "given name" (Rose) was correct on her birth certificate and Soc.Sec. card --- she had always been called "Jayne" (I think her mother had "issues" with the paternal grandmother insisting the baby be named after her !!). Anyway, when it came time for the reading of the will -- Rose (my Mom's Official name) was a beneficiary. No mention of a "Jayne". Everyone knew the truth but the courts required my mother to appear before a judge with two witnesses --- her blood cousins--- who had known her from birth and would vouch that she was "one and the same" person.

The courts drew up an official document to support this which she would show "whenever" her "everyday" name was questioned.

Sure hope this person gets everything in order so they don't miss their trip. I can't help but wonder why they did not correct this years ago ???

I would call the State Dept. in Washington and speak with a real, live person = not an online search. Perhaps he needs to bring with him an affadavit, his original birth certificate, all supporting documents and see if they will issue the passport. Though my daughter did not have these problems, she did need n expediated passport and hadn't changed her name since her marriage. She had to bring her cruise documents to show them that she qualified for this service.

I think a lot of it has to do with the new Homeland Security guidelines. For 40 years the NV drivers license people have had my SS# wrong, and each tome I renewed it I told them. Yeah, yeah, we'll fix it. So the last time, whatever database they checked it with, flagged it. I had to bring in BC (hospital), SS card maiden and married, marriage certificate, passport. They didn't want to accept the BC, but I pointed out that it was good enough to get a passport.

In short, bureaucrats are less forgiving now.

Not exactly sure why this is a HAL problem.

Last time I checked, HAL was not the issuer of passports nor were they the providers of acceptable identification.

Take responsibilty for your own problems and work them through-blaming HAL will not solve the issue.

My friend and I are not blaming HAL- OF COURSE we know that they aren't issuers of passports or providers of ID's. Calling HAL was a good step on our part, to get first hand knowledge and advice.

Have you read my posts delineating all the steps we have taken to work through this problem? Obviously she IS taking responsibility for her problem.

Is the wrong spelling on the actual birth record or is it only a typo on the birth certificate?

It is the wrong spelling on the official Birth certificate. He had been in several foster homes growing up and this is the first time, now that they have decided to take the very first vacation since their honeymoon, they realized that the spelling was wrong.

To update: Per the passport office, my friend's DH has returned a packet (overnighted) to the office containing several docs including, marriage certificate, old divorce decree, original BC, tax records etc. They are hoping that whatever the office wanted with these docs, it will produce a valid passport!!!

Hopefully, he will get his passport in time. We will still be on it through the upcoming business days, so we would still appreciate any advice.

Thanks everyone for any helpful advice!!!

Should have said in last post:

I have called numerous phone numbers trying to track down US Customs AT the Manhattan Pier. Finally I got a customs Officer who repeatedly stated that it was HAL who had the final say as to who got by scrutiny to board, not Customs. This was the exact opposite of what 2 HAL reps stated to us. He said that Customs only cared who CAME BACK INTO THE USA.

I called HAL again and was again assured that it was Homeland Security rules through their agents NOT HAL agents at the pier. Sigh..... I just wanted to talk to a body that would, off the record, maybe give piece of mind that a situation like this might pass muster so to speak and he would be allowed to board.

Can he order another copy with the right last name? Try this site:

https://www.vitalchek.com/

thanks- this was the original site they used to get the BC. Now it's a matter of getting the BC corrected. I took a look at the site and it's not one of their services. They will have to go through the regular channels to correct his name. The problem now is--- time.

I wouldn't wait for the mail !! Go to wherever (NYC/Philadelphia) the documents were sent and "camp out" at the front door until he has his new passport in hand. I know US passports can be issued in one day. After all this time, money and anxiety --- that's what I would definately do. Can't be that expensive to spend the day.

I realize it's too late for this but --- I think I would have cancelled the first booking under the "correct" name and made a new reservation wth the "original" name on the birth certificate !!! Might not be kosher but ------- as the passport is the "deal breaker" here, I think getting DR. Lic. spelling corrected would have been a lot less hassle.

thanks- this was the original site they used to get the BC. Now it's a matter of getting the BC corrected. I took a look at the site and it's not one of their services. They will have to go through the regular channels to correct his name. The problem now is--- time.

The instructions at the link I gave you earlier seem fairly straight forward. If you call the office (in New Castle) Monday morning and overnight the corrections to them with a return overnight envelope you might be able to get the corrected BC back in a couple of days.

Rich

I realize it's too late for this but --- I think I would have cancelled the first booking under the "correct" name and made a new reservation wth the "original" name on the birth certificate !!! Might not be kosher but ------- as the passport is the "deal breaker" here, I think getting DR. Lic. spelling corrected would have been a lot less hassle.

Thanks, that was thought of to do, but, the DL change takes time as well, right? MY head was swirling yesterday and I think this was discussed with friend and they didn't want to open up another can of worms. I also think that corroborating evidence of that "original "name would be needed-which they wouldn't have!

The instructions at the link I gave you earlier seem fairly straight forward. If you call the office (in New Castle) Monday morning and overnight the corrections to them with a return overnight envelope you might be able to get the corrected BC back in a couple of days.

Rich

Rich, I actually think that might be what's happening- they followed the letter's instructions, and it may have been sent to New Castle, PA. I don't believe that she included her own "overnight" return envelope, however!:(

What I can't figure out- the letter came from the passport office, would the passport office be correcting the PA license?

Rich, I actually think that might be what's happening- they followed the letter's instructions, and it may have been sent to New Castle, PA. I don't believe that she included her own "overnight" return envelope, however!:(

I would still call the office on Monday morning and let someone know what is going on. They may be able to get it sent back overnight anyway.

What I can't figure out- the letter came from the passport office, would the passport office be correcting the PA license?

Someone at the passport office just might be trying to be helpful. I am sure this is a common problem, especially now, and they might have had the information handy

Rich

Archived