Alaskan time zone

Billy101

Silly me, I thought that North America's most western time zone was Pacific, but someone mentioned in a review that there was a time change while aboard their ship! Another reviewer said that their ship switched to Alaskan time, even though they left from Seattle, as we'll be doing.

I've booked independent tours and think that I have sufficient time regardless and we went with the common outfits for the most part (Harv and Marv, Chilkoot and Island Wings), so I'm sure that they've accomodated ship times, but I do need to figure out when I should be out meeting them. Does anyone know what time zone is ship time on the Golden?

[U]Many[/U] thanks!

All of Alaska is one hour behind Pacific time. There will be an announcement in the Princess Patter and your cabin stewar will leave a reminder on your pillow when the ships clocks are being changed. Your ship will be on Alaskan time when you are in that state. So the ship and your guide will have the same time

As Paul said, there really is nothing to "figure out" as far as meeting your tour operators. You're over thinking:D! When you are in port, the ship will be on the same time as the port town. For instance, if your tour with Harv and Marv is at 10AM, you'll meet their van for transport to Auke Bay at 10AM.

No worries - just go, don't give a thought to the clocks and the time changes (well except for your wrist watch or travel clock you bring with you!) and HAVE A GREAT TIME!!!!

[quote name='Billy101']Thanks!

Interesting that they change ship time for Alaska - that's never been the case for us in the Caribbean.[/quote]

We have always had Princess change time to match local time in the Caribbean.

However, during daylight savings time, most of the Caribbean islands are in Atlantic Standard time which is the same time as Eastern Daylight time, so no time change is required.

[quote name='caribill']We have always had Princess change time to match local time in the Caribbean.

However, during daylight savings time, most of the Caribbean islands are in Atlantic Standard time which is the same time as Eastern Daylight time, so no time change is required.[/QUOTE]I agree. Every Princess cruise I've taken throughout a good part of the world has always been adjusted to local port time.

[quote name='cruiseryyc']I've had to change my clock three nights in a row as we went back and forth across time zones.[/quote]

Take a round-the-world cruise heading East and you will actually lose a day an hour at a time.

On Atlantic TA's you can change 6 times. Maybe more depending on where you are going. I would get a notice on my bed at night to change my time tonight. At least it's a day at a time unlike flying overseas.

interesting!

I've been away from Princess for almost 15 years, for other cruise lines, who never changed their times and always made a big deal to "stay on ship time" instead of local time, so you wouldn't get back late.

[quote name='Billy101']interesting!

I've been away from Princess for almost 15 years, for other cruise lines, who never changed their times and always made a big deal to "stay on ship time" instead of local time, so you wouldn't get back late.[/quote]

That would have been fun for a Trans-Atlantic voyage that started in the USA and ended in Rome.

"Local time here in Spain is six hours ahead of ship time. Be sure to keep your watch on ship time so you will not be late."

[quote name='Billy101']Thanks!

Interesting that they change ship time for Alaska - that's never been the case for us in the Caribbean.[/quote]

You just need to go to the USVI while daylight savings time is in
effect in the US, and you will have a time change.

Although, Princess isn't currently sailing there at the 'right' time of year.

Archived