Cozumel Tours without beaches

Iceberg2

We are 6 seniors looking for a non-beach tour to visit historical sights and landmarks and of course shopping in town. We will be in port from 8:00 and ship leaves at 5:00.

Anyone have some suggestions?

Not much history to see in Coz -- there are some ruins but you'd be better off taking a ship's excursion to Tulum or one of the other Mayan sites on the mainland if history is your thing. Good luck! :)

Not much history to see in Coz -- there are some ruins but you'd be better off taking a ship's excursion to Tulum or one of the other Mayan sites on the mainland if history is your thing. Good luck! :)

Thank you - how long of a bus ride is it to Tulum?

Thank you - how long of a bus ride is it to Tulum?

First you go from the pier to the ferry terminal, then a 30-45 minute ferry ride to Play del Carmen, then about an hour bus to Tulum -- tour, shopping, lunch, etc are usually part of the package, then reverse the trip back to your ship - besides Tulum there's Coba and some other Mayan ruin sites on the mainland. Just in case there is a problem, only make this trip though a ship approved excursion -- they will ensure that you make it back to the ship! ;)

Good luck! :)

Something else you might consider - so you get to see Cozumel safely, is the "hire a driver for the day". There is a thread on this Cozumel forum page that will tell you all about it. I've actually been considering it myself. If there is a group of you, it could be a really reasonable option.

Cozumel is a very safe location, and I wouldn't hesitate to do this option. It has very good reviews on here, and Trip Advisor. You get an English speaking driver which you hire for at least a 3 hr trip. The price is by CAR, not by person. The 4-seater car is $95/3 hrs + $25 for every hr over 3. I think for more than 4 the price is under $200/car. If you have a group to split that cost among, it could be a really good deal.

They pick you up at the port, and will take you anywhere on the Island you wish. You can go to the San Gervaso ruins, a tour of the Tequila Factory and/or choclate factory, they will take you to site-see the East side of the island (beautiful!) and stop at beaches along the way for you to take pictures, etc. There are 2-3 good restaurants on that side that they can stop at for lunch (lunch price is not included in this cost). There is a lighthouse that you can go see, along w/a nature park at the lighthouse (crockodiles there). The lighthouse has stairs to climb - so that would be up to your group to go to the top.

They will take you anywhere you wish. You could just tell them to take you to the best shopping - and they will do so, or that you want the best lobster dinner in town - and they will do that. Whatever you wish.

The reviews say the guides customize your tour to what you wish to see, and they may even have a few suggestions that you may not know about too, to fit your style.

The thread is on the first page of the Cozumel forum page, or just google hire a driver - cozumel, and you should get to it that way.

I've been to Tulum, and it is interesting, but it is across on the Mainland, and it would require a ferry over there, then a bus to the site, bus back, ferry back, etc. That is a lot of "variables" when you have a ship to catch at a certain time. I'm always a little nervous about going THAT far away on a cruise excursion UNLESS you do it through the Carnival excursions.

Cozumel is a very small island. I think the driver for a day would be great for an older group that wants to learn a little history of the island, see the whole island, and do some tours. The reviews are very good on this, and I think it would be very safe and enjoyable. They will even take you shopping before your excursion to get drinks you can put in their ice chest, and any snacks you might want for the day.

Good luck! Have fun. Cozumel is a great place to explore. Very safe.

Also, just FYI, if you have never been to Cozumel, there is some great shopping right after you get off the ship. You walk off the ship and take an escalator to a bridge that crosses the busy street, and then you are in the shopping. Of course the further you get from the ship, the better deals you get. And they love to barter. Never pay what is marked. There are lots of great restaurants too. We always pretty much stayed on the main road to shop or eat. It's a lot of fun if you don't want to "plan" an excursion.

Something else you might consider - so you get to see Cozumel safely, is the "hire a driver for the day". There is a thread on this Cozumel forum page that will tell you all about it. I've actually been considering it myself. If there is a group of you, it could be a really reasonable option.

Cozumel is a very safe location, and I wouldn't hesitate to do this option. It has very good reviews on here, and Trip Advisor. You get an English speaking driver which you hire for at least a 3 hr trip. The price is by CAR, not by person. The 4-seater car is $95/3 hrs + $25 for every hr over 3. I think for more than 4 the price is under $200/car. If you have a group to split that cost among, it could be a really good deal.

They pick you up at the port, and will take you anywhere on the Island you wish. You can go to the San Gervaso ruins, a tour of the Tequila Factory and/or choclate factory, they will take you to site-see the East side of the island (beautiful!) and stop at beaches along the way for you to take pictures, etc. There are 2-3 good restaurants on that side that they can stop at for lunch (lunch price is not included in this cost). There is a lighthouse that you can go see, along w/a nature park at the lighthouse (crockodiles there). The lighthouse has stairs to climb - so that would be up to your group to go to the top.

They will take you anywhere you wish. You could just tell them to take you to the best shopping - and they will do so, or that you want the best lobster dinner in town - and they will do that. Whatever you wish.

The reviews say the guides customize your tour to what you wish to see, and they may even have a few suggestions that you may not know about too, to fit your style.

The thread is on the first page of the Cozumel forum page, or just google hire a driver - cozumel, and you should get to it that way.

I've been to Tulum, and it is interesting, but it is across on the Mainland, and it would require a ferry over there, then a bus to the site, bus back, ferry back, etc. That is a lot of "variables" when you have a ship to catch at a certain time. I'm always a little nervous about going THAT far away on a cruise excursion UNLESS you do it through the Carnival excursions.

Cozumel is a very small island. I think the driver for a day would be great for an older group that wants to learn a little history of the island, see the whole island, and do some tours. The reviews are very good on this, and I think it would be very safe and enjoyable. They will even take you shopping before your excursion to get drinks you can put in their ice chest, and any snacks you might want for the day.

Good luck! Have fun. Cozumel is a great place to explore. Very safe.

Also, just FYI, if you have never been to Cozumel, there is some great shopping right after you get off the ship. You walk off the ship and take an escalator to a bridge that crosses the busy street, and then you are in the shopping. Of course the further you get from the ship, the better deals you get. And they love to barter. Never pay what is marked. There are lots of great restaurants too. We always pretty much stayed on the main road to shop or eat. It's a lot of fun if you don't want to "plan" an excursion.

I agree with everything you recommended. Just remember there are three piers in Cozumel so the OP may, or may not, dock at the pier in town with the escalator to the shops. Small shopping area at all piers but you will require a taxi to or from the town if you dock at one of the two southern piers. There is also a small but interesting museum in town which can be a welcome relief from the heat. Depending on how mobile you all are the ruins on Cozumel are small but interesting. They do require a certain amount of walking to reach all the areas (bug spray recommended!) although the main plaza can be reached quite easily. The lighthouse area is interesting although there are a lot of steps if you actually want to climb to the top. The east side is always good for photos and although they are mainly of the beach and sea if you do the "hire a driver" you can always pop "in and out" of the van! Gerry will also give you a brief tour of the main town area pointing out places of interest and a couple of old churches. There is nothing outstanding on Cozumel but we have been many times and always enjoy our day there.

I agree with everything you recommended. Just remember there are three piers in Cozumel so the OP may, or may not, dock at the pier in town with the escalator to the shops. Small shopping area at all piers but you will require a taxi to or from the town if you dock at one of the two southern piers. There is also a small but interesting museum in town which can be a welcome relief from the heat. Depending on how mobile you all are the ruins on Cozumel are small but interesting. They do require a certain amount of walking to reach all the areas (bug spray recommended!) although the main plaza can be reached quite easily. The lighthouse area is interesting although there are a lot of steps if you actually want to climb to the top. The east side is always good for photos and although they are mainly of the beach and sea if you do the "hire a driver" you can always pop "in and out" of the van! Gerry will also give you a brief tour of the main town area pointing out places of interest and a couple of old churches. There is nothing outstanding on Cozumel but we have been many times and always enjoy our day there.

Yes - I had forgotten the museum - but your driver could take you there too. He will have good suggestions I'm sure if you just tell him the kind of things you are interested in doing. Or - if on your own, the museum would be easy to find in town.

My husband & I used to go stay a week on the island, and we never tired of things to do. It was always pretty laid-back, and we could find a beach to explore during the day, and do the shopping in the afternoons or at night. We LOVED the food there, so don't be afraid to eat at the restaurants. However, I would stay on the main drag, or whereever your driver might take you to do so.

The last two cruises we gook to Cozumel, the water was too rough for water activities, so we just did the shopping on our own in town. We always have a lot of fun mingling with the locals.

It's all in what you want to do! Just go have fun!

Cozumel is one of our favourite spots. It's a lovely island (and no we are not beach people). The town itself is nice (especially if there aren't too many ships in port).

There is actually a tour (not a ship one) that can fly you to some of the ruins - Chichen Itza being the biggest)

Loved it years ago - we were all done and heading back when we saw the droves of tourists exhausted by the bus drives arriving.

Whatever you do - have a wonderful time:):)

• 1 month later...

Hiring a private tour is always a good option.We have done this twice and have had a good experience both times.We hed Gerry the last time.He took us to the museum,with an authentic Mayan hut behind it.Then we did a drive-by tour of the Air Force Base(yes,they do have one).We also stopped by a small local store for vanilla,and were suprised when we were given a choice between light and dark vanilla.Also be sure to travel to the other side of the island.

Archived