Confused about 3 and 5 bottle wine package

Pearl64

I was looking at the wine packages and was confused as to whether the fee applies to both of us or whether we both would need to pay it. I was looking at the three bottle deal. If that is the price for just the three bottles plus the gratuity then it could be a good deal; however, if we both need to purchase it, it is rather pricey with a bottle of wine being over $50. We usually just get a bottle from time to time so was just trying to figure out if the wine package would be cheaper.

Thanks.

Pearl

You only need one package for the two of you. The value is hard to determine, since you don't know exactly which bottles would be included at each price point, nor what they would normally cost. I would advise waiting until you get aboard, seeing exactly which wines are on offer, and deciding then whether or not to buy a package. You might save between 10 and 15%, but there are certainly less expensive wines on the wine list and they may suit your needs just fine, with no need to buy $50 wines at all.

The wine packages can be shared, so 3 bottles x1 on price. Interesting info over on the Liquor package thread.

When it comes to the wine package - One person buys the package, any number of people can drink it.:D

Classic starts at $99 plus gratuity

Premium starts at $129 plus gratuity

The thing is, since you don't know what wines are on offer until you board, this is not something I would ever buy ahead of time.

Agreed, much better to wait until on the ship.:D

Celebrity Cruises proudly partners with the following brands to offer you excellence and value:

Sparkling Wine

Bouvet Signature, France

White Wines

Chardonnay, Penfolds, Koonunga Hill, Australia

Vouvray, Michel Picard,Loire, France

Sauvignon Blanc, Chateau Ste. Michelle, Horse Heaven Hills

Sauvignon Blanc, Murphy Goode, California

Chardonnay, Santa Ema, "Select Terroir", Chile

Riesling, S.A. Prum, "Essence", Germany

Pinot Grigio, Fantinel, Borgo Tesis, Italy

Rose Wines

Gaga Rose, by Kendall-Jackson, California

White Zinfandel, Beringer, California

Red Wines

Malbec, Luigi Bosca, "La Linda", Argentina

Cabernet Sauvignon, Beringer, Founder's Estates, California

Pinot Noir, Matua, New Zealand

Garnacha, Altovinum, "Evodia", Spain

Zinfandel, Renwood, Sierra Foothills, California

Tempranillo, Condesa de Laganza, Spain

Syrah , Chateau Ste. Michelle, Washington

Cabernet Sauvignon, Columbia Crest "H3" Horse Heaven, Washington

Merlot, Sebastiani, California

csm_syrah.jpg

evodia.jpg

gaga_rose_jackson_wine_estates.jpg

la_linda_malbec.jpg

matua_pinot_noir.jpg

murphy_goode_fume_blanc.jpg

These are available with the $99 package.

Here is a link to a thread which shows the wine lists from last winter's cruising season: http://www.leisurepro.com/Catalog.aspx?op=ItemDisplay&ProductID=OMRDS&Page=1&Term=oceanmasters&Hit=1

Post number 11 on that thread lists the wines which were available under the packages. The lists do change a little from time to time but these should be pretty representative of the pricing and selection.

I know there is a bit of confusion about sharing the wine packages and stateroom liquor setup packages since there is a lot of talk about "no sharing" on these boards. But the no sharping rules only apply to the unlimited beverage packages which are priced per person. The packages that are priced per bottle, or for a specific number of bottles, have no restriction on sharing.

Personally, we've never been attracted by the wine packages even though we're big wine drinkers. The wine packages offer, at best, a small discount in exchange for a purchase of several bottles of similarly priced wine from a small selection. We prefer to order bottles of wine on board from the much larger and varied selection available from the full wine list on board and forgo the small discount. I've also read a recent thread which indicates that, depending on which bottles you select, there may be no discount at all in the wine packages although I haven't done the math to verify this.

You only need one package for the two of you. The value is hard to determine, since you don't know exactly which bottles would be included at each price point, nor what they would normally cost. I would advise waiting until you get aboard, seeing exactly which wines are on offer, and deciding then whether or not to buy a package. You might save between 10 and 15%, but there are certainly less expensive wines on the wine list and they may suit your needs just fine, with no need to buy $50 wines at all.

The wine packages work for us. First, you do get a modest discount. Second, there is a convenience in that you have already paid for the package and it facilitates ordering at the evening meal. The cost per bottle for the wine package tends to be at the lower end of cost, about $35 per bottle. You won't find many bottle of wine on the wine list for less than $35 and those run out at the end of the cruise.

I think the options on the wine package are enough, but I can see for someone that is more of a wine connoisseur and will pay up to $60-80 per bottle, then having the entire wine list may work better for your.

Wrong link, that goes to a snorkel company.

Whoops!! Sorry about that. - I've corrected the link in the quoted message of my original post below.

Here is a link to a thread which shows the wine lists from last winter's cruising season: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1566983

Post number 11 on that thread lists the wines which were available under the packages. The lists do change a little from time to time but these should be pretty representative of the pricing and selection.

I know there is a bit of confusion about sharing the wine packages and stateroom liquor setup packages since there is a lot of talk about "no sharing" on these boards. But the no sharping rules only apply to the unlimited beverage packages which are priced per person. The packages that are priced per bottle, or for a specific number of bottles, have no restriction on sharing.

Personally, we've never been attracted by the wine packages even though we're big wine drinkers. The wine packages offer, at best, a small discount in exchange for a purchase of several bottles of similarly priced wine from a small selection. We prefer to order bottles of wine on board from the much larger and varied selection available from the full wine list on board and forgo the small discount. I've also read a recent thread which indicates that, depending on which bottles you select, there may be no discount at all in the wine packages although I haven't done the math to verify this.

• 2 weeks later...

Lsimon....thanks for the great link. We are cruising to Alaska next May to celebrate my 50th birthday. Being new to cruising and feeling absolutely overwhelmed with all the choices and info, this post cuts to the chase when it comes to wine. It seems as though we can purchase wine packages (3, 5, or 7 bottles - classic or premium) and receive maybe a small discount in the regular by the bottle price. Sounds like waiting to buy the package once on board might be a better move since you can actually see the choices, and there may be a discount offered.

I don't have a break the bank budget and would like to stick to the lower price wines. I have some definitive likes and dislikes though. It sounds from other posts that the lower price wines may sell out during the course of the cruise. A question I do have is can I choose the actual bottles of wine within the package when I order the package and have them set aside? I am thinking not, but thought I would ask. Any advice would be appreciated.

Archived