Teen program and my 18 year old senior

We just booked my daughter's senior trip on the Magic. She went on a cruise a couple of years ago and loved it because of all the friends she met in the teen program (we hardly saw her they kept her so busy). She will be in her senior year of high school and will already be 18. Will they let her take part in the teen program? She is going to be so disappointed if she can't.

At 18, I didnt want to be hanging around a buch of kids all day.... I think she will be just fine.

If its part of a school function, it might be different (Im thinking they know what the situation is, lots of minors/high school aged people).

She is an adult now. My guess she already used that line on you. Time for her to learn how to socialize with people her age.

That's a bit harsh. Technically, any 17-year old high school seniors travelling on the cruise would be "people her age". And that whole 'adult' thing, really? Based on written law, she's considered an adult ... as a parent, that doesn't mean crap! As bad as it is when the 18-year old says it, it's almost worse when a stranger throws that out.

18-year old seniors have a tough time because most of their friends are still 17 ... both of my kids are the oldest ones in their classes, so we've dealt with this.

OP - follow the advice of the others and maybe she can hang with her peers at Club O2 ... my daughter had a blast in March at Club O2.

We were on the Pride last April and our son (17) said there were a couple of boys that were 18 and seniors that were allowed to sign up of the O2 club. Yes, bring the school ID. I hope our son can sign up for the O2 on the Dream in April. He will be 18 by then. He usually signs up the first night and meets others and then they do their own thing all week.

Just posed this question to my daughter who works in the youth program with Carnival. She said for y'all to explain the situation to the teen director upon boarding and she should be allowed to stay with the group. Not a problem.

I too have been curious about this. My son who will be a senior this year, will be 18 on our cruise in March. His peers are high school seniors...some 17 some 18.

I don't see him easily going out meeting people on his own. He's friendly and all, just not that outgoing. So hopefully he'll be able to join the teen club stuff too.

I have heard several complaints that Carnival really lacks in this age group. I don't know as this is his first cruise. We'll see.

Thanks for the heads up on the school ID.

I too have been curious about this. My son who will be a senior this year, will be 18 on our cruise in March. His peers are high school seniors...some 17 some 18.

I don't see him easily going out meeting people on his own. He's friendly and all, just not that outgoing. So hopefully he'll be able to join the teen club stuff too.

I have heard several complaints that Carnival really lacks in this age group. I don't know as this is his first cruise. We'll see.

Thanks for the heads up on the school ID.

We were on a March sailing and believe me, there was nothing lacking in this age group! My DD made some friends and the staff was a great friend to them too. There were about a dozen who literally hung out every night. They hung out in Club O2, they played board games, cards, etc. Took pictures together on formal night and all the kids (parents) bought them for the kids.

Don't worry! It will be fine.

We were on a March sailing and believe me, there was nothing lacking in this age group! My DD made some friends and the staff was a great friend to them too. There were about a dozen who literally hung out every night. They hung out in Club O2, they played board games, cards, etc. Took pictures together on formal night and all the kids (parents) bought them for the kids.

Don't worry! It will be fine.

Was she 17 and in the Club? I'm concerned if they do not allow my 18 yr old to join in. That's the concern if there isn't staff kinda helping them get to know each other, or setting up a meeting place (at least at the beginning of the cruise) so they can all meet. I just want his first cruise to be fun! (not too much fun lol)

Thanks guys for all of your help. As for her being an adult, well if you consider someone still in high school and adult I guess she is. She was just blessed with a late birthday and had to wait a year to start school. I will be asking permission for her to join the youth club, because that is the age group she considers her age group. She really just needs it as a way to meet some friends. She is a good kid and I don't want her hanging out with the older crowd that may be into the drinking scene.

Thanks guys for all of your help. As for her being an adult, well if you consider someone still in high school and adult I guess she is. She was just blessed with a late birthday and had to wait a year to start school. I will be asking permission for her to join the youth club, because that is the age group she considers her age group. She really just needs it as a way to meet some friends. She is a good kid and I don't want her hanging out with the older crowd that may be into the drinking scene.

She is old enough to vote and old enough to join the military. So by the letter of the law, yes, she is an adult.

In our case on the Valor, our son had JUST turned 18 and they refused. We tried going to guest relations and we did have his school info that stated that he was a senior in high school, but it didn't help. It seems like it depends on the ship/crew....:rolleyes:

When we cruised in March this year (Freedom), my 18 year old high school senior daughter WAS permitted to participate in Club 02 activities.....some 18 year old HS boys also. There were also a couple almost 15 year old girls allowed an exception.

In addition to the other suggestions to bring HS ID, talk to Club 02 Director.....also join the roll-call for your sailing and attend (plan if needed) a meet and greet on the first day so the 18-20 year olds can meet each other. We were fortunate the demographics allowed for exceptions on this cruise. Can't always book on this so it's nice to at least have the option for this group to meet each other.

For those who state 18 is an adult....Don't disagree with you BUT..... My daughter is 5'11" and does NOT look 18 (more like 22). She would have been happy to hang out in the disco, etc. with other young ADULTS.... However, she seems to be a magnate for creepy old (30+) drunk dudes :eek: (her words...not mine) who try their darndest to pick up sweet young things and buy them drinks. Given the choice of hanging with other High School kids or drunk adults.....she much prefers the kids!

That's a bit harsh. Technically, any 17-year old high school seniors travelling on the cruise would be "people her age". And that whole 'adult' thing, really? Based on written law, she's considered an adult ... as a parent, that doesn't mean crap! As bad as it is when the 18-year old says it, it's almost worse when a stranger throws that out.

18-year old seniors have a tough time because most of their friends are still 17 ... both of my kids are the oldest ones in their classes, so we've dealt with this.

OP - follow the advice of the others and maybe she can hang with her peers at Club O2 ... my daughter had a blast in March at Club O2.

Just so you understand a few points. Written law is designed to protect kids. Adults hanging out with kids and whether Carnival wants to protect themselves. Next, I have two boys, one over 18 and one just under. When 18 comes around, they know they are an adult, and must deal with being one. If that means, they are restricted from playing with the kiddies, so be it. Additionally, my older is in the ARMY. He is an adult. We as parents must recognize our little kids are no longer kids at 18. Being in HS does not change the laws. They do not need you permission any more, although it might not be a good idea living in your house with someone that defiant.

I am proud of my adult and nearly adult children for reaching that milestone, and as a parent, it is important that you continue to teach your kids to respect their new found age, and learn to deal with it, without hanging onto their past youth. As a parent, I would hope this would be taught.

Just so you understand a few points. Written law is designed to protect kids. Adults hanging out with kids and whether Carnival wants to protect themselves. Next, I have two boys, one over 18 and one just under. When 18 comes around, they know they are an adult, and must deal with being one. If that means, they are restricted from playing with the kiddies, so be it. Additionally, my older is in the ARMY. He is an adult. We as parents must recognize our little kids are no longer kids at 18. Being in HS does not change the laws. They do not need you permission any more, although it might not be a good idea living in your house with someone that defiant.

I am proud of my adult and nearly adult children for reaching that milestone, and as a parent, it is important that you continue to teach your kids to respect their new found age, and learn to deal with it, without hanging onto their past youth. As a parent, I would hope this would be taught.

Wow could you be more condescending? Didn't ask for your personal definition. An 18-year old high school student is still a kid!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Asked this exact question about my DD who turned 18 a week into her senior year. Both counselors (different ships) said they would allow an 18yo HS student. Both cruises were within the past year.

What about the opposite occurance? A 17yo college student? Possibly many more life experiences than an 18yo HS student.

It does depend on the counselor and amount of kids onboard.

As other people have said, they may or may not allow her into the teen club, depending on the # of teens on the ship.

Folks in the 18-21 age group are all too often the forgotten cruisers, since they can't drink or gamble, and older inibrietated passengers can get them in trouble in a number of ways.

Most folks in that age group are so tech savvy, I've suggested to some of them that they set up a facebook page, twitter acct, social networking site of yhe moment r even a roll call on here for just that age group

Just so you understand a few points. Written law is designed to protect kids. Adults hanging out with kids and whether Carnival wants to protect themselves. Next, I have two boys, one over 18 and one just under. When 18 comes around, they know they are an adult, and must deal with being one. If that means, they are restricted from playing with the kiddies, so be it.

Schools don't worry about protecting the 17-year old "kiddies" from these big, bad newly-turned 18 year olds so why should a teen club?

A senior that turns 18 is suddenly too mature to hang out with their still 17 year old "kiddie" friends? Yeah they're all grown up the minute they turn 18. They need to get new friends and stop doing the childish things they did the week before. :rolleyes:

Schools don't worry about protecting the 17-year old "kiddies" from these big, bad newly-turned 18 year olds so why should a teen club?

A senior that turns 18 is suddenly too mature to hang out with their still 17 year old "kiddie" friends? Yeah they're all grown up the minute they turn 18. They need to get new friends and stop doing the childish things they did the week before. :rolleyes:

2 months after HS, they go to college and hang out with older "adults". When they first went to HS, they had to be with older kids. Just a fact of life that they must move on when they grow up. Kids clubs are for kids, not adults.

2 months after HS, they go to college and hang out with older "adults". When they first went to HS, they had to be with older kids. Just a fact of life that they must move on when they grow up. Kids clubs are for kids, not adults.

The fact remains that many 18 year olds are still in high school and some 17 year olds begin college. The two ages associate with each other. If that's OK, why can't the 17 and 18 year olds hang out together in the teen club?

Archived