Help in Ketchican

blakethan

Ketchican will be the last stop of our 12 day land and cruise tour. Having trouble deciding what to do in Ketchican. I have narrowed it down to three options. Would love everyones opinion of these options:

1. Boat trip/crabbing/George Inlet Lodge

2. Boat trip Misty Fords (or will i have already had enough scenery by then/my husband will not do a float plane!)

3. Just spend the day in Ketchican downtown (Will I regret not doing an excursion at this port-Ive heard its beautiful!) I ultimately know I probably want regret any of these options-just wanted to know some positive experiences from each option. Thanks-I love cruise critic!!!!

Totem poles. There are several wonderful parks- Totem Bight and Waxman for example. If the weather cooperates I'd seriously consider going out to one or the other. We took a local tour and got to see Waxman and the salmon ladders (no salmon though), and many many eagles.

The Bearing Sea excursion is also really a good excursion- especially when they feed the eagles. Very educational, and fun. Particularly if you like the show although in truth- I am uninterested in the show but the excursion was still great.

Depends on how much time you have in port. It is one of my favorite ports and so far our stops have been way too short.

Fiirst- if YOU want to consider a float plane- then spilt up. This is a top notch excursion for scenery. :)

All your ideas are good choices, depending on you. Regrets- sure many people will claim this, and take another trip. :) If there is something of interest- me- I live for today, and do it. Depends on each person.

Ketchican will be the last stop of our 12 day land and cruise tour. Having trouble deciding what to do in Ketchican. I have narrowed it down to three options. Would love everyones opinion of these options:

2. Boat trip Misty Fords (or will i have already had enough scenery by then/my husband will not do a float plane!)

3. Just spend the day in Ketchican downtown (Will I regret not doing an excursion at this port-Ive heard its beautiful!) I ultimately know I probably want regret any of these options-just wanted to know some positive experiences from each option. Thanks-I love cruise critic!!!!

I would take the Bering Sea Crab boat tour (HAL cruise 2011). Of course, I'm a huge fan of Deadliest Catch, but the tour was fantastic- crew was informative and entertaining. We saw a lot of eagles while on the boat, got to handle crabs...it was a great excursion!

Kayaking was very enjoyable in Ketchikan.

We went with http://www.kayakketchikan.com/ and were very happy. Really nice group of people and very professional. They will gear it to your pace.

We also booked a float plane flight thru them, which picked us up out in the islands where we were kayaking and took us to the Fjords from there. That was with http://www.carlinair.com/index.html and it was seamless. Carlin air was wonderful as well. You could do the kayaking and then your husband could head back to town and you could do the plane and return to town later.

As far as your fill of scenery goes?

For my money I would skip the float plane unless you think that the ride itself with be really thrilling. While we had a fine time it was not, for us, all that exiting. The Daughter fell asleep, which made it a kinda expensive nap ; -)

I know I will sound like a philistene... but it was sort of "Oh, look, more water, more rocky shore, more trees, more mountain tops, more snow, more cascades down into the water..."

Carlin, unlike the ship float plane excursions, lands on a big floating dock where you can get out and stretch and take pictures and stuff. That was nice as well.

But I would, in hindsight, have rather spent more time kayaking, myself.

When we were in Ketchikan we hired a local cab driver to give us a tour of prime scenery stops and get a glimps of where the locals fish..we watched the salmon jumping, that was fun. We saw a lot of wildlife as well..bald eagles, deer..no bears although it was reported that a bear family was in the area the day before.

After the tour she dropped us off at the salmon hatchery and we walked creek st back to the ship. We hired her for an hour and a half and we were gone over 2 hours.

Why not? Does he know what he's missing? Geez, all of my grandchildren have been on repeated float plane trips and the oldest is 5.

My advice to you is find your husband a good stool over at the Arctic Bar and then go take the float plane trip yourself. It's an experience not to be missed.

http://www.arcticbar.com/index.html

Ketchikan was one of my favorite ports,floatplane to Misty Fjords with a landing on a mountain lake was highlight of trip. After floatplane excursion had Halibut tacos @ the Fish House, then on to ziplining @Rainforest Canopy&Ziplines!

Archived