Sail and Sign Discrepancy On Recent Cruise

Fuffty

I recently returned from a cruise on the Carnival Dream, my 6th cruise with Carnival. On the last night of our cruise, we received our Sail and Sign statement, which had all of our charges for the week. Everything was in order, so we packed it in our bags and headed home the following morning.

About 3 weeks later, while looking through our AMEX statement, my husband saw a charge from Carnival that was higher than what he remembered. He eventually found the statement that we brought back with us, and saw that Carnival had overcharged us by nearly $26!

The next morning, he called Carnival and spoke to someone over there. They were able to pull up our account, and claimed that we had spent nearly $26 after midnight, on drinks and other beverages in our room cabin. We didn't drink anything, and told the CSR as much.

After being placed on hold for 5-10 minutes, the person came back and said that they would be crediting us the difference, and expect to see that credit on our AMEX statement in the next 14 days.

My husband searched online to see if others had experienced similar problems, and found quite a few people with very similar stories, including some people on Carnival's own forums! The thought there was that there were rogue room stewards who were trying to cheat the system and get their 18% tip on drinks that weren't actually consumed.

Has this happened to anyone else?

anything is possible from misread folio numbers, to receipts not turned in by a bartender for whatever reason... it may not have happened the last night, but rather any time on your cruise.

I had a discrepency on my last cruise.. they didn't charge me for the Tshirts I bought on HMC, but I did get an additional $12ish charge after we got home..which was most likely a pair of drinks that got missed along the way.

always keep your receipts.. I happen to be a lousy bookkeeper..:o

I recently returned from a cruise on the Carnival Dream, my 6th cruise with Carnival. On the last night of our cruise, we received our Sail and Sign statement, which had all of our charges for the week. Everything was in order, so we packed it in our bags and headed home the following morning.

About 3 weeks later, while looking through our AMEX statement, my husband saw a charge from Carnival that was higher than what he remembered. He eventually found the statement that we brought back with us, and saw that Carnival had overcharged us by nearly $26!

The next morning, he called Carnival and spoke to someone over there. They were able to pull up our account, and claimed that we had spent nearly $26 after midnight, on drinks and other beverages in our room cabin. We didn't drink anything, and told the CSR as much.

After being placed on hold for 5-10 minutes, the person came back and said that they would be crediting us the difference, and expect to see that credit on our AMEX statement in the next 14 days.

My husband searched online to see if others had experienced similar problems, and found quite a few people with very similar stories, including some people on Carnival's own forums! The thought there was that there were rogue room stewards who were trying to cheat the system and get their 18% tip on drinks that weren't actually consumed.

That happened with us last cruise...We were charged for 2 little bottles of alcohol. I told her that we did not drink anything out of the fridge!

This was the only cruise that we were told by room steward that he would NOT take the contents of our fridge out of the room because he had "no where to put them". So we stashed the stuff in the closet.

The fridge was locked at dinner time the last night of the cruise as per our request.

When we called they said the items were taken after his last check.

My answers back

1) Our fridge was locked

2) If they checked our sign and sail account there was not 1 drink purchased the whole cruise...we are non- drinkers.

They said they would look into it and do a charge back. It took a month but it was credited to my mastercard!

Yes on my last cruise. I was looking over my statement midweek and noticed a 4.95 charge. Looks to be a soda or something and I didn't order any sodas onboard.

Why those shifty bastards. I was so mad I stood up from where I was sitting in the Atrium and immediately punched a nun in the face. I was so steamed. Well the Guest Services folks saw me coming and one scrambled for cover while the other handed me wads of cash and apologized while begging for mercy.

Well ok that didnt happen, I read further and a few lines later I saw the charge was removed. They caught it all on their own.

We had 2 drink charges within the first few hours after embarkation. My husband had had one drink, not two. It was too early in the cruise for us to have lost track of how many drinks were consumed!

Also, they were supposedly both Red Frog on tap, but had 2 different prices! Hmmm...

They removed the lower priced item, and it wasn't work the 35 cents or so to argue the point further.

Yes on my last cruise. I was looking over my statement midweek and noticed a 4.95 charge. Looks to be a soda or something and I didn't order any sodas onboard.

Why those shifty bastards. I was so mad I stood up from where I was sitting in the Atrium and immediately punched a nun in the face. I was so steamed. Well the Guest Services folks saw me coming and one scrambled for cover while the other handed me wads of cash and apologized while begging for mercy.

Well ok that didnt happen, I read further and a few lines later I saw the charge was removed. They caught it all on their own.

Thanks for the laugh of the night!!! :D

We had 2 drink charges within the first few hours after embarkation. My husband had had one drink, not two. It was too early in the cruise for us to have lost track of how many drinks were consumed!

Also, they were supposedly both Red Frog on tap, but had 2 different prices! Hmmm...

They removed the lower priced item, and it wasn't work the 35 cents or so to argue the point further.

If one was supposedly bought while still in port and the other bought after sailaway then they would be different prices because of tax in port.

No way, you can not be saying that there are cabin stewards or waiters that would cheat us, they are such nice honest people and they work so hard to take care of all of us. I can not believe that you would say that.

Wait a minute, maybe the cabin stewards and waiters that we all love so much really are trying to "take" care of us after all.

And think, after all the extra tips you gave them, they tried to screw you too.

mourning of embarkation i received a txt credit.200 $ from my cc company not knowing what or by whom turns out the cruise line gave me 200$ back the day b4 our cruise and never took it back

I've never had extra charges, but on my last cruise, while traveling with a friend, we had gotten a $40pp price drop from booking early saver. On the day we got the S&S bill, the full $80 had been applied to my account, and my friend was stuck with all her charges. I had to go to guest services and ask them to change it. Not a huge deal, but I would rather have not had to stand in line with everyone else to get it changed.

One price could have been for the beer in a Red Frog souvenir glass, and the other price for the beer in a regular glass. IIRC, the souvenir glass is $4-$5.

Thank you, OP, for posting this. I just checked our credit card that we used against my S&S statement I received on the morning of debarkation. Sure enough, there was an excess of $14.64 charged to our card. I monitored our S&S account while we were on board (I was overcharged on a purchase and had them adjust it at guest services) but stupidly had not checked our credit card until I read this post. I'll be calling Carnival tomorrow. It's such an odd amount but I'm positive we didn't buy anything after midnight of the last night.

Can anyone tell me if there's another number I'm supposed to call besides the 1-800# on the website?

We had a cash account our first time and I asked my husband to go to Customer Service desk and square away with them and make sure we were all ok.

They asked my husband for an extra 90 bucks (I knew we had over charged the account by a bit... but not $90 - apparently the bottle of wine I ordered durinfg formal night in the MDR 2 nights prior was late making it's way to our sail and sign account) So my husband paid what they asked for.

Imagine my surprise when I wake up on debarkation day and find a check under my cabin door for $58!!!

I am definately watching them my account this time :cool: At least they caught it!

Fool me once shame on you... fool me twice - you can't get fooled again!:p

As a cash account person, I have never had them charge me for anything "extra" after we got off the ship. Duh

We always use cash, and normaly only get a few dollars back, at the end of the trip, because we spent what we put down.

We do the same. Cash accounts mean no hassles as far as I'm concerned. When i leave the ship there will be no surprises.

We do cash accounts also and have never had a problem. I always keep our receipts in a certain drawer and keep an eye on our S&S bill. Before we head to our cabin on our final night, I go down to customer service and close out our account. We always have money left over (I usually put too much so there are no surprises). The next morning, we are up and out with no hassles at all.

I've never had extra charges, but on my last cruise, while traveling with a friend, we had gotten a $40pp price drop from booking early saver. On the day we got the S&S bill, the full $80 had been applied to my account, and my friend was stuck with all her charges. I had to go to guest services and ask them to change it. Not a huge deal, but I would rather have not had to stand in line with everyone else to get it changed.

Had that happen to me and my mother as well! For some reason the primary booking person gets all the credit, probably based upon the mistaken assumption that everyone in the room is under the same credit account.

Wow. I have never even compared them when the bill comes. I just come home unpack and when I see a charge on the bill I figure it looks right. We are cruising in September and I am thinking a cash account is the right way to go. Thanks for the tip!

On one of our first couple of cruises, I was checking the S&S account after we got home. There was a $12 charge for wine. We didn't drink any wine! I wrote a letter to Carnival, and they credited the charge back to my credit card. Later realized the "wine" charge was actually for a cookbook I had purchased! I was embarrassed, but didn't send the money back!! Now I rarely check the bill. My sister in law puts each receipt in an envelope and checks against her account every day! Too much trouble.

I've been mischarged numerous times on various lines. I have had two incidences on Carnival where final bill was different from credit card charge. Contacted them and both times it was for liquor from fridge which we never drank. Both times the charges were reversed, but it still made me mad.