Passport does not look like me

cruisegirl25

That's a good question...

Since passports are good for 10 years, I would imagine that MANY people look different after awhile (especially young children... there is a HUGE difference between a 1-year old baby and a 10-year old kid... but thats how long the passports are good for!!!).

p.s. Congratulations on your weight loss!!!! :)

That's a good question...

Since passports are good for 10 years, I would imagine that MANY people look different after awhile (especially young children... there is a HUGE difference between a 1-year old baby and a 10-year old kid... but thats how long the passports are good for!!!).

p.s. Congratulations on your weight loss!!!! :)

On little kids, the passports are for only 5 years.

I look like a fat Norwegian terrorist in mine; I always get people saying how I look a lot "happier" than in my passport photo (read: skinnier, even though I'm still Not Small).

The things border agents look for in the photo are the things that don't change as your hairline changes, you lose weight or you age. Things like distance between the ears, placement of the eyes relative to the chin, etc. These ratiometric assesments between "landmarks" are also how facial recognition systems work, so they're pretty reliable.

If you're really concerned, it might be worth the expense to renew sooner rather than later, but people lose (and gain) weight all the time over the 10-year validity. Even big changes like plastic surgery, accidents or hair loss don't throw off most immigration professionals.

Eric

I took our own pictures with the digital before we renewed our passports, this time I wanted them to actually look like us instead of two strangers that we have never met before. It took several tries until we go what we wanted. But much better than when we had them done professionally.

I hav been told by the courthouse where we get passports that if you are 13, you would have to purchase another passport as they are only good until you are 14. Is this right?

I can't say for sure, but that doesn't seem right to me. The requirements are MORE stringent for under 14 than for 14-17, why would that passport not be good at age 14. The issue for an under 14 passport is that both parents have to sign consent and provide proof of relationship, and the parent has to provide identification for themselves. Once they are over 14, that only MIGHT be necessary. I would think it would be a typical child's passport, good for 5 years, that would have to renewed in person when it expired.

Ask this question over at the Family Cruising board and you might get more experienced answers. :)

You will certainly be fine with the old passport, but if you want a little added peace of mind, take along an old family photo that shows you in your plus 160 pounds state along with your spouse and kids or whoever else is traveling with you. If questioned, just pull it out and go "See".

Back in the 70s, when mustaches, beards and long hair were popular for men, I used to clean shave and get an Ivy League haircut everytime we left the country, so I would at least resemble my passport photo.

The shortest passport term is 5 years, so what you were told, Northcountry, is incorrect. A 13 year old getting a passport could travel on it until they were 18. At that point they would get an adult passport which would last for 10 years. My kids got theirs when they were 12 & 14, so one child's will last until she's 17, the other will last until he's 19.

I am relieved I do not look like my passport photo.

As a customs officer for last 35 years believe me it does not matter what you think you look like we can tell whether its you or not!

No I'm not allowed to tell you!!!

Bob

I have apparently changed from my passport photo( it was taken only 3 years ago), I was asked many questions about my life and where I live, etc. as he kept looking at me and then my passport. I think the suggestion to take photos with whoever you are traveling with in your "before" appearence is a very good one.

Archived