Shopping in St. Thomas

fmp4369

Where is the best shopping and how best to get there? DW & I will be there on our anniversary cruise, and since we've both been there before, we don't need to do any excursions (although I might argue shopping is an excursion for her! :)). Plus, the fact that we'll be in port same day as Oasis, Carnival Dream, and Carnival Freedom, the popular spots will probably be crowded anyway.

Is it near the ship or do we need to take a short cab ride to town? I want to get her something nice for our anniversary.

Thanks!

Where is the best shopping and how best to get there? DW & I will be there on our anniversary cruise, and since we've both been there before, we don't need to do any excursions (although I might argue shopping is an excursion for her! :)). Plus, the fact that we'll be in port same day as Oasis, Carnival Dream, and Carnival Freedom, the popular spots will probably be crowded anyway.

Is it near the ship or do we need to take a short cab ride to town? I want to get her something nice for our anniversary.

Thanks!

Have you tried the Ports of Call boards? Someone had pointed them out to me and there is a wealth of information there. Hope you have a great cruise:)

There are some shopping right at the pier (which I think are owned by CCL?), but in my opinion the better variety and volume of merchandise is in town, a cheap taxi ride from the pier. There will be plenty of tour vans to negotiate a fare into town.

http://luv2cruise.blogspot.com

It is a standard set rate to go anywhere in St Thomas.

There are some shopping right at the pier (which I think are owned by CCL?), but in my opinion the better variety and volume of merchandise is in town, a cheap taxi ride from the pier. There will be plenty of tour vans to negotiate a fare into town.

Havensight Mall in St. Thomas has nothing to do with Carnival. A lot of the shops there have their main stores downtown but there are more stores downtown than at the pier.

We tOld the cab guy which are open trucks with bench seats to take us to the shopping. I think it was 12 bucks and we Actually walked back so it's not far but we didn't know where we were going when we arrived thus the cab. It took about ten to fifteen minutes to walk though and it is hot. I think that was the port with guess outlet store. My daughter got a pair of 120$ jeans for 44$

Grab a Taxi or get on one those open covered bench taxi ( $7 bucks) and tell him to take you to the post office. Go in Post office and take a picture, it has a couple of really nice Wall murals. Then mail a postcard. Then walk right around the corner down the main strip of shopping and make sure to go through Drakes passage. Its really cool and has a outside Pirates bar at the other end. You can see the Harbor from your stool and cool off with a drink.

Expect about 25 thousand people in port that day and about 15 thousand of them shopping. How accessible the shopping is by foot depends on the peir you dock at but for the most part, there shopping every direction you turn with about 400 jewelry stores to choose from if that tickles your fancy.

I suggest taking one of the open air taxis downtown (even if you are docked closer to Havensight Mall) and go to Cardow (jewelry store). They have such nice pieces. I feel like the difference between the Havensight & the downtown store is like Canal St. compared to the Bowery or Diamond District.

I used to live on St. Thomas, so I will say it really depends on what you want to buy. The other response is anywhere. Liquor, especially rum made in the islands, is very cheap. Downtown or at Havensight are both fine.

Here's a link to maps:

http://www.shoptalkvi.com/

And another shopping guide

http://www.**********/stthomas/shopping/

Cardow, Boolchands & A.H. Riise have been in business a very long time. There are some unique pieces made for or designed for each island. Jim Tillet gallery is a wonderland. Get out to his gardens if you can. The open air markets are great.The usual suspects, DI, Del Sol etc avoid. I tend to look for the unique things made in where ever I happen to be, but if you head down to Charlotte Amalie you will find anything you could possibly want to buy.

If you just want liquor and cigarettes, the Havensight mall at the pier is probably enough. If you want more choices, take the shuttle into town (Charlotte Amelie). There's a flea market in town, I'm sure they're set up whenever a cruise ship is due in.

If you ask a taxi to take you to the K-mart (yes Kmart), the sell the same liquor as the stores, will pack it up in carriers for you AND it is the cheapest way to get liquor. My hubby and I discovered that on our honeymoon. Just ask the taxi to wait or pick you up in 30 minutes.

If you plan on buying jewelry be careful. They know they will probably never see you again.

In other words buyer beware.

Most of them also know people talk and ripping tourists off comes back to haunt. We've bought many pieces of Jewelry from Imperial Jewelers over the years. Its a family owned/operated business and they're wonderful people. My wifes uncle is a Jeweler and has complimented us on the good deal we got every time we return.

Most of them also know people talk and ripping tourists off comes back to haunt. We've bought many pieces of Jewelry from Imperial Jewelers over the years. Its a family owned/operated business and they're wonderful people. My wifes uncle is a Jeweler and has complimented us on the good deal we got every time we return.

Never thought they all were dishonest but IMHO better to buy from a reputable local jeweler who is looking for ongoing business.

Thanks!

How do you know what other ships will be in port with you?

Archived