Just back from the Maasdam...

rocks

Just a quick note after a WONDERFUL vacation on the Maasdam.

The weather, food, & Crew all were GREAT as were the ships engines. Everything is running in tip-top shape! We were on time for all the ports except for once when we helped a small yacht in the middle of the night by giving them gas.

The Crew in the lounges were wonderful, our dining room waiter (Shy) was the BEST ever & even the cooks in int Lido buffet lines were full of smiles & singing every morning. I had noticed on other cruises that the waitiers in the dining room were so busy they didn't have much time to chat; but not with Shy! He is by far the best weather ever!

Any questions....please ask

rocks

PS: Gigi, Shy definitely remembered you & said that I was sitting in the same seat that you were sitting in-small world! He was such a GREAT waiter & made the diner so much more fun!

Welcome Back and thanks for posting such great comments.

Happy you enjoyed yourself so much and found Maasdam to be ship-shape.....especially since we are eagerly awaiting our back-to-backs on her very soon.

I remember a few weeks ago when some folks were saying Maasdam should be drydocked ahead of schedule. Happily, HAL was able to make the necessary repairs without cancelling anyone's cruises.

Who is the cruise director and do you know how long he or she is staying? thank you.

Craig Dirocco....(sp?)

I think he'll be aboard until about early July.

Woo! Woo! The Maasdam is fixed! And you had a great time on her! That's all wonderful news.

Thanks for telling us.

Now, if July 16th will only hurry up and get here.... :rolleyes:

Ruth, it is almost countdown time! Nine weeks from tomorrow we should be boarding the Maasdam and hopefully all her mechanical problems will be in the past.

Disembarked from the Maasdam yesterday (May 12) and had a wonderful time. No problems and it was an excellent cruise. We were fortunate to meet Shy in the Lido daily. He is amazing. Remembers names and informs you if your friends came through the buffet line.

Embarkation at 1:00 p.m. took 15 minutes. Very efficient staff at the check-in.

Cabin steward - Balil - very efficient.

Hope to sail on the Maasdam again.

Hi All!

I was as table #64...If I was going again, I would definitely request to be at Shys' table. You should do it before you leave, either through your TA or directly through ship services. This CAN be done as a few yrs ago I requested a special wine steward. At that time I had a TA that said it couldn't be done but I faxed a request directly to ship services & it was taken care of. I know there is a lot of talk about the service in the dining room & I also have seen that they are over-worked. Shy was also very busy, but he was so good & some how made the time to get to know us all & was telling jokes, making suggestions, ect. He really was the BEST waiter I've ever had on my 20+ cruises with HA.

There was also a very sweet & happy cook in the Lido buffet line...Roland. Look for him & say HI. He made me smile & laugh every morning while dishing out my breakfast.

I hardly ever saw the CD Craig...I know they are busy, but I swear I never saw him around the ship. The asst. cd's were nice enough...Candy was the DJ at the Crows Nest & although she was very nice, she was a terrible DJ!

The people at our table didn't want to have anything to do with the photographers so I really didn't get to know them. I never take a good photo anyway! I did see some really different scenes that they set up to take pictures. I was very impressed with that! Wonder if they are doing that on all the ships now?

I REALLY had a wonderful time. After all the reports with the problems, I was a little worried; but you know what...the Crew is so awesome that even if there were problems I'm sure I still would have had a great cruise. I went on this trip to escape from stress and after spending the day in a hammock on Half Moon Cay I was well on my way to accomplishing that.

Jennie, Liz & Ruth, I'm sure you gals will have a wonderful time crossing the 'pond' on the Maasdam. And all you N.England cruisers..I wish I could go along!

I know the ship won't be back cruising the Caribbean for awhile, but if I ever go to St. Kitts again, I would see if I could spend the day at the Marriott hotel to use their beach. It is a beautiful hotel with one of the most spectacular beaches I've ever seen. Our tour guide took us past it. It is close to the point where the Atlantic & Caribbean Oceans meet.

Be glad to answer any other questions...

rocks

You're so right...the crew was very kind to us when we were on the Maasdam in Feb...It was hard to get off and say goodbye. We spent 11 very nice days, inspite of the rough weather. The crew even invited my husband to play soccer with them in St. Kitts!! They were a wonderful group. Did you meet Valeri in the Lido? I believe he is one of the two managers. Had many interesting conversations with him. And I developed an endearing attitude towards the 'yum yum' young man, who always had the kindest, most gently smiles for us... he taught me how to play the dinner tune! Many wonderful staff on that ship...Glad you had a ball!!:)

Ruth, it is almost countdown time! Nine weeks from tomorrow we should be boarding the Maasdam and hopefully all her mechanical problems will be in the past.

Liz and Ruth, my countdown clock says it is just 55 days till we sail on the Maasdam so add 7 that makes just 62 for you:D I am sure it will go by quickly.

I am so glad to hear that the Maasdam is now running good and am so looking forward to our cruise. We have not even flown home from Maui yet and I am counting the days till we cruise. I miss my Sea Days :(

Thank you for the review :) - so glad you ended up having a wonderful, relaxing experience!!

I was worried for you after reading about some of the recent problems - good to hear they're back on track!

Sail ... wish I was going back sooner than next March. I envy you. I loved the Maasdam and can't wait to board her again on March 3rd.

That' my bday!!:) We celebrated it partly on the Maasdam and partly in St. Thomas this year!! I pinched myself when I was there, especially since there was a major snowstorm here at the time, and because it was just incredibly beautiful. The ship staff helped us (my daughter and I share a birthday) celebrate... they were very sweet.

Hi Rocks, great to hear you had a good time! I haven't been on the Maasdam since FEB 01. I wasn't aware of any problems with her but then again I only joined this site recently. Can you tell me who your captain was?

Thank you kindly!

Caribbean Girl. We were on the Maasdam at the same time (2/28 to 3/10). There were so many birthdays that week! Sorry I didnt' get to meet you in person! Why don't you take another cruise for your birthday in 2006 and we can meet up! I was so happy we were in the sun when that snowstorm hit up here. Sorry we missed Half Moon Cay but hoping in 2006 I'll finally get to see it. Isn't the Maasdam wonderful? I thought so.

Caribbean Girl. We were on the Maasdam at the same time (2/28 to 3/10). There were so many birthdays that week! Sorry I didnt' get to meet you in person! Why don't you take another cruise for your birthday in 2006 and we can meet up! I was so happy we were in the sun when that snowstorm hit up here. Sorry we missed Half Moon Cay but hoping in 2006 I'll finally get to see it. Isn't the Maasdam wonderful? I thought so.

Wow, that is WILD!! We may have seen each other, since the ship isn't that big! If you saw us, you may remember, since we were one of maybe four families on the ship. We have a daughter (18) and a son (13).

Yeah, we were really disappointed about HMC. Our son was very sad. But the rest of the trip was great. We especially enjoyed our excursion in Dominica-still talking about it.:) Have many lovely memories about the staff, who were particularly dear on this trip. From the dining room to the photo and store clerks to the room steward (who gave us his address) to the boy with the dinner bell and the Champagne Trio. Just lovely. The ship is a little older than some, but what it lacked in 'spiffiness', it made up for in other ways.

Hi!

The Captain is Arjen Van Der Loo. He was really a GREAT captain & had a great amount of respect from the Crew. It was really wonderful the way he explained every detail of our voyage. I guess he was used to it after the weeks of problems before. He wasn't seen around the ship a whole lot, but more then some other Captains.

rocks

Archived